comedy_blog_graphic_3.jpg Dear Listeners –

We’re excited to say that we are officially in the business of telling jokes! Starting now, you can launch personalized comedy stations on Pandora from any genre or comedian.

Adding comedians to the mix has been one of the top requests from our listeners, so we’ve taken the same approach to comedy as we have to music: carefully and deliberately analyzing comedic “bits” across a very large number of attributes to capture the style, delivery and content of each performance. It’s been a very fun experience, taking what we’ve learned in music and applying it to a whole new category. Now, instead of talking about “minor keys,” “falsetto,” and “extensive vamping,” our comedy-analysts capture “odd juxtaposition” (A horse walks into a bar…), “misdirection” and “spoonerisms” (a well-boiled icicle, instead of a well-oiled bicycle)…

We’ve had a great team of working comedians furiously analyzing what is now a collection of more than 10,000 sketches from more than 700 different comics and counting.

As with music, we hope that the Comedy Genome Project will let people enjoy comedy they know as well as discover new talent that they love. And for comedians everywhere we hope that Pandora can provide a great big new platform for new fans. There is surely nothing more important than helping the world laugh a little more!

We hope you’ll give it a whirl. Here are some quick options to get you started if you need some: Comedy Genres.

And, as always, don’t be shy about feedback, we love to hear from you.

Enjoy!

Tim (Founder)
Tom (Chief Technology Officer)

Comments

1. Andrew Freeman
    May 10, 2011 at 2:25pm
    I am really glad that comedy is now available at Pandora. It should make my work day go quicker. Webmater at Part-Time CFO
  2. xoriadax
    May 10, 2011 at 3:13pm
    The comedy stations are great, thanks! However PLEASE stop playing the same Klondike commercial over and over. I get the need for advertising but please change it up! Thank you, Lisa
  3. EarthtoneZ
    May 11, 2011 at 4:26pm
    NOW U HAVE MY ATTENTION!!! AFTER SEVERAL MONTHS OF NOT EVEN LISTENING, IT SEEMS YOU HAVE IMPROVED YOUR LINE UP ON THE NEO SOUL STATION. WHOEVER MADE THE PLAYLIST THAT IS PLAYING AT 7:11PM ON MAY 11, 2011 KNOWS NEO SOUL. YES, YES, YES. Was listening the the neo soul station on AOL at first. I enjoyed their playlists. Went to Germany and it was interrupted by LastFM.com while they were building their website, and they wanted input,FOR FREE!! Was willing to make some contributions, but DANG IT! almost every song I attempted to add to my profile playlist was unavailable. Pandora was recommended and you guys were lacking as well. Improvements are abound. Thank you for making the efforts. Now can you throw some Incognito, Brand New Heavies, and underground hip hop/neo soul like De La Soul, 7 Heads Production, 9th Wonder, Lil Brother, and Lupe Fiasco.
  4. EarthtoneZ
    May 11, 2011 at 6:10pm
    Chante'Moore's collaboratin with the RIPPINGTONS! GONE CHANTE'!! & this joint is a classic "Until You Come Back to Me" Aretha Franklin's joint...yeah, I like. THAT'S HOT!
  5. Michael
    May 11, 2011 at 7:18pm
    make a pandora Ipod plz thx
  6. Ms.jones
    May 12, 2011 at 8:44am
    I want my pandora music
  7. EarthtoneZ
    May 12, 2011 at 8:46am
    I WANNA HEAR NEO-SOUL, NOT RB. WHERE'S THE 3-11 PERSON FROM YESTERDAY? THEY KNOW NE0-SOUL!!! NEOSOUL IS A COLLABORATION OF RB UP TEMPO JAZZ,HIP HOP. THE SONGS USE KEY CHANGES AND UNDERGROUND SOUNDS. ITS OKAY TO ADD SOME IND. UNDERGROUND HIP HOP,"B" SIDE R&B OR POP, AND UPTEMPO JAZZ CLASSICS. i.e. HALL OATS, STEVIE WONDER, JERU THE DAMAGA, GURU, EWF, SIMPLY RED, INCOGNITO, BRAND NEW HEAVIES, I DON'T WANNA HEAR USHER, AND THESE LIL KIDS I HEAR ON MAINSTREAM RADIO
  8. EarthtoneZ
    May 12, 2011 at 8:55am
    Estelle, Raphael SaddiQ, Yeah, now you're getting warmer. You can even throw in some Ledisi, Donnie, Micheal Franti, Yazarrah. Ok,Minnie Ripperton,Patrice Rushen, Tina Marie will work on my R&B station as well as neo-soul.
  9. EarthtoneZ
    May 12, 2011 at 8:59am
    My mistake; I did that yesterday...mistook Chante' for Minnie. Now see Chante was influenced and worked with George Duke so she has his flavor. COOL I'll even be happy if you HIT me with some NORMAN BROWN. AFTER THE STORM, CELEBRATION, you know.
  10. Jon Weller
    May 12, 2011 at 10:15am
    Okay So I've been to multiple music festivals and the one thing that I always find researching the bands before I go. There's no outlet for it. I couple of the festivals have a radio on their website but I've found those to personally not be that useful. Pandora should have a way to enter in the a festival name and music from that festival plays on that radio station. Obviously the like buttons and dislike buttons would work in normal ways, but it would only play songs from bands from that festival's headliners. Sound like a good idea? How possible is this? I don't know much about copyright laws and computer engineering and whatnot it would just be a huge help to any music festival goer.