comedy_blog_graphic_3.jpg Dear Listeners –

We’re excited to say that we are officially in the business of telling jokes! Starting now, you can launch personalized comedy stations on Pandora from any genre or comedian.

Adding comedians to the mix has been one of the top requests from our listeners, so we’ve taken the same approach to comedy as we have to music: carefully and deliberately analyzing comedic “bits” across a very large number of attributes to capture the style, delivery and content of each performance. It’s been a very fun experience, taking what we’ve learned in music and applying it to a whole new category. Now, instead of talking about “minor keys,” “falsetto,” and “extensive vamping,” our comedy-analysts capture “odd juxtaposition” (A horse walks into a bar…), “misdirection” and “spoonerisms” (a well-boiled icicle, instead of a well-oiled bicycle)…

We’ve had a great team of working comedians furiously analyzing what is now a collection of more than 10,000 sketches from more than 700 different comics and counting.

As with music, we hope that the Comedy Genome Project will let people enjoy comedy they know as well as discover new talent that they love. And for comedians everywhere we hope that Pandora can provide a great big new platform for new fans. There is surely nothing more important than helping the world laugh a little more!

We hope you’ll give it a whirl. Here are some quick options to get you started if you need some: Comedy Genres.

And, as always, don’t be shy about feedback, we love to hear from you.

Enjoy!

Tim (Founder)
Tom (Chief Technology Officer)

Comments

1. jess
    May 26, 2011 at 10:20am
    this station really rocks
  2. daniel O’connell
    May 26, 2011 at 10:13pm
    i keep having to refresh my Pandora because i press for a station and nothing comes up, its happening more and more often that sucks man that sucks.
  3. KAcciari
    May 27, 2011 at 4:03am
    This is wonderful! Great music options and now some laughs. Well done, well done.
  4. Steven Robert
    May 27, 2011 at 10:19am
    You mention comedian station whats a comedian station without a thieves/pirate guilder hall. When will you install roman pathos as well.
  5. Joe Panther
    May 28, 2011 at 12:16am
    This might not be 100% relevant to the main blog entry, but I'm not sure where else it should go. I sent feedback to the Pandora support email address, and the reply seemed like a form letter based on a keyword match. So I will post the same thing here hoping it will get more attention. ---- Hello, I just upgraded to a paid subscription and I wanted to bring your attention to a minor issue, in case it's of interest to you. My initial several attempts at paying by credit card failed, and your website's Adobe Flash keept highlighting the credit card number and 3-digit code, thus misleading me into retyping my credit card number again and again with the same result. (The very tiny and faded unreadable text on your website made this very hard. I had to put my head close to my monitor.) The actual problem turned out to be caused by your website inserting an incorrect zip code. Once I figured this out I corrected the zip code and the charge succeeded. If you are going to insert a zip code without knowing the correct one, then any error message due to an address mismatch ought to at least highlight the zip code, not the credit card number. You could solve all your web design problems by accepting Paypal and Google Checkout. Both those companies have well-designed easy-to-read websites, and neither of them so far as I know inserts an incorrect zip code or highlights the wrong field when an error occurs. ----
  6. jeremy
    May 28, 2011 at 11:07am
    Its a crime Pandora doesn't recognize Georges Brassens in its database. Fix!!
  7. Edwin
    May 29, 2011 at 4:45am
    I want nothing to do with Facebook... please do not link so much of your profile info etc. to that retorical mess.
  8. jodi
    May 29, 2011 at 6:52am
    Hey, This is awesome! I love Pandora and I love comedy! Good work! Jodi Boam
  9. Raisan Ator
    May 30, 2011 at 11:06am
    This is great: I love Pandora and I love comedy! Hope for the new comedy. Weight Loss Dieting Diet For Weight Loss Diet To Lose Weight Fast
  10. David
    June 01, 2011 at 1:50am
    i really do like pandor its alot better then XM or all that other shit but one thing that would make it so much better would be if u guys made a download for the desktop not just cell phones i mean if i didnt always have to open the internet and do the hole www thing and then have to sign in i would us it alot more... you should really try to come up with something for that... but again thanks
  11. seo pratik
    June 01, 2011 at 9:37am
    i like pandora so much.that is awesome i love them good work.
  12. Rachel Vitz
    June 02, 2011 at 3:51pm
    Hi Tim, I don't know you, but the fact that you love music and are involved in this project is totally awesome! I want to thank you for Pandora. My friend told me to check your website out because she knows how much I consider music to be the soundtrack of our lives! I love Pandora and I have only spent a few short moments with her. ( it is a her right?, hee, hee.) Love the whole idea of not only sharing music but also allowing us to listen to comedians. Jim Gaffigan, here I come! Thank you for doing what you do! smiles, Rachel Vitz
  13. Joe Panther
    June 04, 2011 at 6:23pm
    After upgrading to a paid account, and thus getting music at 192 kbps, I find that the quality is only marginally better. Some of the music sounds overmodulated, similar to the effect you get when you turn up the volume very high on a small radio receiver. I found some old 45 rpm recordings that people have uploaded to Youtube, and they almost always sound more natural and less processed than what Pandora gives me. And when I hear the same song coming from some amateur Shoutcast station versus on Pandora, the amateur version often sounds cleaner. I would have expected the opposite. All of Pandora's music, possibly except for classical music, has very low dynamic range. It sounds like it's greatly compressed, possibly to compete with the equally terrible sound of most FM broadcasting. And much of the music sounds like it is processed with electronic equipment of the type that produces the effect commonly known as "auto tune". Doing some searches, I found an article about processed streaming music actually begins with a mention of Pandora. Take a look at the article entitled "Online Music Services Require Improved Audio" by Dan Daley which you can find with a web search. He suggests that online music services need to process their music in order to give users what they want. "When the same content goes to the internet and to air, the streaming signal is sent through the Telos Omnia Audio ONE multiband system that it is processed through as though it were an FM signal..." Pandora, are you using this "Telos Omnia Audio ONE" to process your audio too? Can we please as an option get unprocessed audio?
  14. how to prevent sweating
    June 05, 2011 at 6:02pm
  15. chris
    June 05, 2011 at 8:08pm
    I do not know where to report this but there is an incorrectly labeled song being streamed from this site. It is Indigo Children - "Jle Dub" Mix by Puscifer but labeled as "Jle Dub" by Indigo Children.
  16. jdogg31
    June 06, 2011 at 4:47pm
    and wht am i commenting about?
  17. Van F. Potter
    June 09, 2011 at 9:29am
    Mr Westervelt.\ It would be very helpfull to have the ability to combine my stations. I have created stations that show the same "similar artists". Coldplay plays on my Death Cab station and vice versa.I would like to just "click" them together when this becomes apparent.
  18. Van F. Potter
    June 09, 2011 at 9:38am
    Mr Westervelt, How about Pandora notifying me that the new station I am about to create falls into the same genre as a station I allready have, so I can add variety rather than create a duplicate. V. Potter
  19. Anonymous
    June 09, 2011 at 12:36pm
    Comedy is important. Thanks for adding this service. How about mixing it up a bit by adding funny songs? For example, on iTunes check out these three songs by Burl Sheldon: www.loser.com, IT Blues, and Misunderestimated. Keep those laughs coming.
  20. Marlon Edwards
    June 10, 2011 at 1:59am
    I'm glad to know about Pandora. Orlando Locksmith Fort Lauderdale Locksmith
  21. lora
    June 11, 2011 at 11:30am
    pandora used to be great, now it stops after every .....fricken song, u have to click on their web sit for it to move from one song to another. :( mad.
  22. Tommie Stuart
    June 14, 2011 at 5:57am
    Iam so thankful to Pandora for the old school and modern music. Thanks for the opportunity of being able to be a part of your station...Wonderful variety, clear pretty sounds..LOVE PANDORA!!!!
  23. Frank
    June 14, 2011 at 7:30pm
    Congrats on the reportedly successful IPO! (AP story: http://hosted2.ap.org/APDEFAULT/495d344a0d10421e9baa8ee77029cfbd/Article_2011-06-14-Pandora-IPO/id-cec449d84a794ca3baf276d441bbfddb )
  24. danny
    June 18, 2011 at 5:27am
    Hello Tim & Pandora People ~ A short while ago my ears were warmed by the sounds from pandora.com. So when i came across the news blip that her wings were to be spread across Wall Street i thought support can be beautiful. Therefore i became a subscriber the day before our IPO. Hopefully this IPO adventure will have a great many more positives than stresses. Move'n along to a personal note: Unlike an earlier comment stating the yearly script was a low price and he would volunteer to pay more; though a worthy action,all things being relative, i choose Pandora over paying for TV, since i've never been such an "evolved" capitalist or lucky in money to afford so many luxuries i value music greatly over "the tube"... now i've got some music to listen to as the sun rises here in the southwestern part of NM. Thnx for being so good at what all of you do that makes pandora.com outstanding/danny
  25. Steve
    June 20, 2011 at 8:46am
    I was just introduced to Pandora this weekend and I wanted to say that I am a Kid in a candy store. This is Awesome! Keep up the Great work! Thanks Again!
  26. meysam
    June 22, 2011 at 5:14am
    I'm gonna go try it now. :P Thanks for the great work, Pandora! مدرسه هوشمند پيشتازان، مدارس هوشمند
  27. chika
    June 22, 2011 at 2:44pm
    wow that is great.
  28. Lela
    June 24, 2011 at 8:39pm
    I just got turned on to your sight and its the greatest thing ever, and they say you can't teach old dogs new tricks. Thanks for making music available to me 24/7. you guys rock!!!
  29. Dave
    June 27, 2011 at 3:41am
    I just downloaded the pandora app last night while bored at work. The comedy genre is awesome. I work alone, some nights I dont say 1 word for 8 hours, I played the comedy genre for at least 6 hours straight. Thank you so much for saving my nights! -Guaranteed Daily Listener
  30. Gary
    June 28, 2011 at 10:26pm
    It is a great idea to enter the comedy niche. As we all know everyone in this world likes to watch and read funny things. This would be a mind relaxing exercise. A great initiative to hold our fans and get new ones.
  31. donny
    June 30, 2011 at 1:47am
    Wow! My daughter turned me on to your site and I am thoroughly impressed! This is what internet radio has only aspired to be. You have a great idea, now run with it. I will back you all the way. OK, Got to go now...have to tell ALL my friends!
  32. Lexie Neevel
    July 04, 2011 at 3:06pm
    I just love doing pandora.... Lexie
  33. Renee Rosa
    July 06, 2011 at 9:57am
    Just wanted to say that someone turned me onto Pandora a while ago, and I really LOVE it!! I've found new songs that I have never heard of before that I can enjoy listening to. I've gotten interested in different genres of music by creating stations. Country is one example. I've never liked it much, but there are a few songs I did like. I made a station with those songs as seeds, and found that I like country music more than I thought. For someone with the range of musical taste that I have, everything from Barry Manilow to Queen to Rascal Flatts to Adele to BEP to James Taylor and everything in between, Pandora ROCKS!! THANKS SO MUCH!
  34. Lisa Clark
    July 06, 2011 at 2:41pm
    This is an awesome addition. I don't know if there's enough demand for this, but it'd be also cool to have audio books on Pandora...or international songs.
  35. The Healthy Weight Loss Girl
    July 06, 2011 at 5:55pm
    I know of quite a few stand up amateur comedians who might like to try this out. They are very versatile and are quite good. They have about 8 years experience between them all, on average. I'm going to hook them up with your site. Thanks Pandora!!
  36. systemic enzymes
    July 08, 2011 at 8:19pm
    Adding comedians to the pandora is a great concept. I never heard this available in other stations. Thanks to make our request come true. Your loyal audience.
  37. Russell
    July 14, 2011 at 12:09pm
    I selected the Canton Spirituals to show I desired more quartette music. I was extremly disapointed that the next song was not. However the the third one was. I cincerly hope my prohile renders far more Quartette's than others.
  38. Barclay Totten
    July 19, 2011 at 10:23am
    Comedy Stations a great idea, but please cut the canned laughter. Comedy should be funny without it.
  39. Kristi Dunn
    July 21, 2011 at 5:24am
    It would be nice to have an option where you can just listen to a station of the songs you've already given a thumbs up to. I've given so many songs a thumbs up that sometimes I'd like to be able to just listen to those songs without any additional pandora suggestions. Just a thought. I do like the way it seems that Pandora is a mind-reader when it comes to what I like to hear.
  40. gracie mcroy
    July 28, 2011 at 11:33am
    we read everything
  41. robert
    July 30, 2011 at 12:15pm
    curious why no reggae exist in the genre list
  42. christarenae
    August 03, 2011 at 7:23pm
    I don't like it bc I'd rather make my own playlists and it doesn't load right. Its crappy.
  43. Melissa E. Bartels
    August 05, 2011 at 4:14pm
    Thank you for considering everyones different taste and style when you re-vamped the site!!!!
  44. rachele
    August 05, 2011 at 4:52pm
    Call me stupid but im knew to pandora and can't figure out how to change channels
  45. Anthony
    August 13, 2011 at 12:22pm
    Okay this new counter is nice and all, but it has to be correct if it is going to be there. it says i have used 4 of 40 hours, and am at 12 % of my usage already? That would only be 10 percent.
  46. Sarah
    August 16, 2011 at 12:02pm
    Hi Tim, I think the Comedy Genome Project is a great idea thus giving comedians a great platform to gain more fans and too giving us listeners more choices. We can always use more laughter in the world, along with great music. Thank you
  47. Cherie bingham
    August 19, 2011 at 4:18pm
    Hi Tim, Congrats on you public stock!! I am a new listener and love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! No more talking!!! thanks, cherie
  48. brandon
    August 24, 2011 at 8:09am
    wow, i have to assume that the thumbs up are more for the idea of pandora than actual pandora at this point. pandora used to be good, now the one on my android just freezes half way into the first song. among other issues that ultimately led to the un installation of the app on my phone. i would buy the app being as its so damn cheap, if i wasnt so unsure about paying for what may give me the same issues as the free version. on the computer it seems to work ok but its the app on my phon that i really like about pandora. hope you get your sh*t together guys it'd be nice to get my radio back ;)
  49. Plumber Dandenong
    August 24, 2011 at 7:50pm
    I just downloaded the pandora app, My friend told me about it. The comedy genre is awesome. I work alone, all nights I played the comedy genre for at least 5-6 hours straight. Thank you so much for saving my nights!
  50. Radio Gaanwala
    August 25, 2011 at 12:43am
    Just love pandora. Thank you all of related pandora.