Pandora-10BillionThumbs-DeruloWestergren5-16-11.jpgJason DeRulo stops by to get a plaque to commemorate our 10 Billionth Thumb.

Just over a week ago, on Sunday, April 24th at 4:46pm, “Ridin’ Solo” by Jason DeRulo received Pandora’s 10 billionth thumb. 10 BILLION…wow!

Of the many milestones we’ve hit over the past 6 years, this is perhaps the one that makes us most proud. We created Pandora to bring personalization to radio, to allow each individual to determine the sound of their stations, and to make it as simple and intuitive as possible. There is no greater evidence for us of meeting that objective than the ongoing engagement you have all shown in your use of the thumbs.

Not a day goes by that we don’t work to improve how the Music Genome Project works. And there is no greater impact on the project’s development than the contribution you are all making, one thumb at a time, to our understanding of how to build great playlists. Our team — musicians, mathematicians, statisticians, radio programmers, software engineers, music lovers and more — absorbs the feedback from you daily, looking for new insights and adjustments that your contributions reveal.

What started as an improbable effort by a group of musicians, around a dining room table, is now a massive project, involving tens of millions of avid music fans. Little by little we are all collectively creating a music discovery engine that might just deliver on the grand promise of the web — a completely personalized listening experience for every user, and an effective outlet for tens of thousands of deserving artists. We now have over 800,000 songs in our collection, and over 95% of them play in a given month.

All of us are humbled by the continued engagement you have shown with Pandora, not only with your thumbs, but also your general advice, suggestions, and critiques…by the thousands. We listen intently. And it is all adding up.

We will continue to work every day to get better, as this task has no end. And that’s what makes this so much fun.

Thanks again for being a part of this.

Tim (Founder)
P.S. That 10 billionth thumb was, indeed, a thumb-up. ☺

1. john sanders
    May 02, 2011 at 4:22pm
    Great work I'm so enjoying this music daily. Thanq
  2. TexVik
    May 02, 2011 at 4:48pm
    I stopped being a part of it when it came to light how you're pimping our personal data. That's when you lost me as a PAYING customer.
  3. Pablo Vilas
    May 02, 2011 at 9:49pm
    What a cool concept; but the implementation needs work. I couldn't find "Broken Hope" by Zero Cult, nor "Angels Landing" by Salt Tank. Even though the new, innovative musicians often make their music available for free (at least to internet radio stations like, you seem to have a somewhat restricted selection. I did find "Black Eyes" by Snowden; but none of the "similar" songs approached its quality. I wonder if your parameters for determining similarity are too preconceived? There should be a way that, like Amazon does with books, you could suggest similar songs based simply on other users' input that they are similar. I did find many good 50s and 60s rock and roll songs based on initial input. Maybe that's a characteristic of the genre; rock and roll is pretty easy to filter out from not-rock-and-roll.
  4. Sarah murphy
    May 03, 2011 at 6:23am
    I love pandora.You rock!I listen to all my favorite radio stations.
  5. Asp3
    May 06, 2011 at 7:12am
    Tim & Pandora, Contratulations!!!! Thanks for all of the work you put into Pandora to get it to 10 billion thumbs up ratings. Also thank you for reaching out in the blog again. I miss the more frequent communications from the folks at Pandora and I think the lack of comments on this posting reflect the fact that most people don't follow the blog anymore. I hope you keep it up. Tony
  6. Jeremy
    May 06, 2011 at 7:14am
    When are we going to be able to view the songs we 'liked'? I want a list of them so I can purchase them. I think you guys are missing out on a money making opportunity. Jeremy
  7. Jim Corcoran
    May 11, 2011 at 9:16am
    Hi Tim and All, Wonderful project. I signed up today. I'm curious if there is a way to find details on each recording through the Pandora music listing, like personnel, dates of recording, even liner notes? I love the concept of the Music Genome Project. I am a serious jazz hound, advocate and missionary. Keep it up. Listen to the Clayton Brothers sometime. Thanks! Jim
  8. Tamara Dean
    May 11, 2011 at 12:08pm
    THANK YOU, TIM! You saved our party! We recently moved to California from New York State. Our house was a foreclosure, needed a lot of work. When it was completed we hosted a party for all of our workers. We still hadn't found out tuner amongst all of our boxes. To provide music we used our laptop and Pandora! It was a last minute idea but, grtefully, Pandora was wonderfully easy to set up. Pandora is a fabulous idea. ~Tam and Rich Dean
  9. Scott Westergren
    May 12, 2011 at 12:01pm
    I want to Thank you and everyone at Pandora for an outstanding concept and execution. I just discovered Pandora about two weeks ago and it has fulfilled a missing piece of my musical enjoyment. I will continue to listen, build my radio preferences, and will certainly tell people I meet about Pandora. Thank You, once again for such a phenomenal, wonderful service! Sincerely, Scott Westergren Orem, UT
  10. Eric
    May 14, 2011 at 11:46am
    ARE YOU STILL LISTENING? Well, I was... until this little message kept stopping the music and popping up. We, up until yesterday, used Pandora often. The ads are fine with me, I mean everybody's gotta eat? Right? But whoever came up with this idea of stopping the music every 20 minutes or so and popping up a screen asking if you're still listening... really needs to reconsider their audience. Seriously, do you believe your audience is tied to the terminal, willing to respond all the time, while listening? Think again. We had a party of a bout 40 people, enjoying Pandora providing the music and unobtrusive ads, but after 4 times of having to go back into the home office, click the "Are You Still Listening?" screen to restart the music... one of my guests shouted that we should just scrap Pandora and try something else. We did. Folks at Pandora... in a few short minutes you got a bad rap with 40 people in one sitting. Please reconsider this bad idea. Internet radio is still... radio. Your audience listens while doing other things. Most of us are not hawking around our terminals waiting to respond to screen indications. Are YOU still listening?