sports-fans.jpgThis week’s station: Game On!.
I think everyone should have a walk-up song (now batting…), even if it rarely gets used. I also like to think that if the right song is played at the right moment, it can actually influence the outcome of the game. While this is debatable, the significant role that music plays in the modern arena or coliseum is not… for better or worse.
This collection delivers all your standard coliseum anthems, along with a nice stack of other, relatively unknown gems. While the music represents a wide variety of musical styles — including rap, rock, punk, metal, funk, film score, and electronic/dance — they all have one thing in common: energy.
Recommended for play while: tailgating, applying paint to your face and/or body, getting pumped to deliver a presentation at work, entertaining during the holidays while sports are on TV, stuck in traffic trying to get to the game, in the locker room prior to a big matchup, performing a victory dance, clapping in unison, playing dunk hoops on a 6 foot rim, working off the calories from aforementioned tailgate, and any situation that requires an elevated state of personal or team mojo.
For best results, play at a high volume on big speakers.
Addi
(dance collection manager)

Comments

1. Lucia
    November 13, 2009 at 1:19pm
    SOOO AWESOME!
  2. Rick Shoop
    November 13, 2009 at 3:47pm
    love the idea but not very clear how to get it on my blog?
  3. Kevin Seal
    November 13, 2009 at 4:34pm
    "I also like to think that if the right song is played at right moment, it can actually influence the outcome of the game. While this is debatable, the significant role that music plays in the modern arena or coliseum is not... for better or worse." Okay, let's debate this. Here's one for you: My band was six shows into a ten-show residency in Paris on September 11, 2001. The next night, we played a cover of "We Are The Champions," as a declaration of patriotism. The Parisian audience seemed confused. Person to person, they were comforting but soberingly direct: "Welcome to what the rest of the world has to deal with." But as audience, I think they had questions: 1) Isn't that a British song, not an American song? 2) Are you guys being ironic or sincere? 3) Is it English-language arrogance to call yourselves "champions"? My question to you, my friends: Did we play the right song at the right moment?
  4. r4i card
    November 13, 2009 at 10:19pm
    Hi, I am such a big fan of music when ever i free i turn on my i pod and listen music from it whole day... I also searching for music info like lyrics albums singers and much more.... My favorite music types are sad songs , Fast Rock and Roll type songs and some really Hip Hop... So this article will make me more better in music knowledge and also some kind of fun..... Thanks for sharing some valuable info...
  5. Audrey Harvey
    November 14, 2009 at 2:39am
    Very nice post.
  6. Chris Horgan
    November 14, 2009 at 10:39am
    @Kevin - did you play the right song at the right moment? I think that depends upon YOUR intentions with the song... So what were your intentions - do share! @Addi - love the idea of this station! I use my own "walk up music" while getting ready before a big night on the town.
  7. Patricia
    November 15, 2009 at 10:29pm
    I definitely agree with this.
  8. Michael Addicott
    November 16, 2009 at 11:23am
    @Kevin - I like the song choice. After being a ballpark dj or arena dj for nearly 15 years I like to try and choose a song the has the right energy or feel for a situation. This approach often, but not always has a stronger impact that a song that simply has lyrics that apply to a certain situation. Lyrics are the most accessible element of a performance, if you can hear them clearly but not usually most valuable. I think the feel of the song 'we are the champions' was spot on for the situation. lyrically a good fit too... but for non-english speaking people, it might be hard to pick up on the nuances of the lyrics for this particular song.
  9. Acai Force Max
    November 16, 2009 at 1:51pm
    Can't imagine life without music.. Thanks..
  10. Kevin Seal
    November 16, 2009 at 2:23pm
    @Chris Horgan -- Griddle's intentions were sincere. We were seeking to comfort ourselves in a time of fear, but also to assure the audience that "everything will be okay." We viewed it as a male analog to "I Will Survive." It's all about love, and it's not about fear. We will be alright. Speaking of which, we also played the Who's "The Kids Are Alright" that week.
  11. Jason Demko
    November 17, 2009 at 7:37am
    Music will bring much excitement to the scene.......
  12. Liann
    November 17, 2009 at 3:28pm
    My brother turned me on to this site and I love it.I do like a certain style of music but sometimes I like a little mix too. I'll spread the word to my friends.
  13. Marc Thomas
    November 18, 2009 at 11:45am
    I would agree with you that the right song at the right time can influence the outcome of a game. It can cause a turning point that changes the whole outcome.
  14. Kevin Seal
    November 18, 2009 at 2:03pm
    Absolutely! Absolutely. I totally agree, Marc. That's why DJs need to be mindful of the effect they might be having on the crowd. (And, by extension, on the players, and the coaches, and, as you put it best, the outcome of the game.) Great post, Addi. I love the questions that this topic raises.
  15. Michael Addicott
    November 18, 2009 at 3:02pm
    I am not alone then! thanks Marc...
  16. Mark
    November 22, 2009 at 10:37am
    Very nice post!! I totally agree, the right song at the right time can influence the outcome of a game.
  17. San Antonio Business Phone Listing
    November 22, 2009 at 9:54pm
    You may have not intended to do so, but I think you have managed to express the state of mind that a lot of people are in. The sense of wanting to help, but not knowing how or where, is something a lot of us are going through.
  18. christian louboutin
    November 25, 2009 at 11:58pm
    yeah, good job
  19. sacramento flooring
    December 02, 2009 at 11:02am
  20. MONTGOMERYErin
    September 22, 2011 at 1:22am
    Houses are quite expensive and not everyone is able to buy it. However, loans are invented to help people in such kind of hard situations.