I’m pleased to announce that we’ve released version 2.0 of the Pandora One desktop app. You’ve been telling us that the desktop app is one of your favorite features of Pandora One and it’s great to have the chance to begin the process of refining that experience.
With this release we’ve tried to keep the interface very simple while adding several of the most-requested features:
* You can now view your song history. Just click on the album art to reveal arrows to navigate through the last hour of your playlist. Thumb up (or down) or buy any song that played in the last hour.
* We’ve added a progress bar. Want to know how much is left to play of the current track? Just click the album art to reveal the time elapsed and remaining for the current track.
* Windows users can hover over the system tray icon to see the name of the currently playing artist and song.
* The app remembers where you placed it on your desktop and how loud you like your music. The next time you start it, it’s right where you left it.
* Song transitions have been sped up so you don’t need to wait long for a thumbs down to get rid of the current song.
Our goal is to continue to improve Pandora One over time. Hope you enjoy this first little step in that evolution.

Comments

1. James Shattuck
    September 04, 2009 at 3:52pm
    I love the new app, and the additional features, I have been wanting them from day one of Pandora One! I agree with the above requests for new features, but I suspect your current level of features in the Pandora One are more geared towards keeping the interface simple. Maybe a way to implement the new features may be to use interface options. A tool bar mode, a simple interface like the one now, and an advanced interface that allows all the station management options available on the website. Keep up the great work!!
  2. Tsu Dho Nimh
    September 05, 2009 at 12:39pm
    My housemate is trying to create a channel with all female vocalists ... and Pandora keeps offering males. Isn't the pitch of the singer's voice as important as the rest of the instrumentation? Acoustic versus electric guitar, horns versus strings, soprano versus tenor?
  3. Brett
    September 05, 2009 at 6:45pm
    Everything is perfect and pretty minimalistic just like I like it. Only thing that would make perfect for me would be the ability to play the music over an alternative playback device in Windows, like say I have my headset as my main audio choice which is connected to my on board audio, it would be great to be able to playback via my sound card over the speakers. Otherwise you made a good desktop app!
    1. Briton Whitfield
      June 07, 2015 at 10:34pm
      It is possible using something like ASIO4all, but it's a bit of work.
  4. Tokio
    September 05, 2009 at 9:58pm
    Sounds great but, when can I pay with paypal? I use debit card for real life (school books) and paypal for online life. I don't want to subscribe until I can pay with paypal.
  5. Gregg
    September 08, 2009 at 10:32am
    I saw it mentioned by someone else, but I would also like to see the station associated with the current song when I am listening to QuickMix in the desktop app. I hesitate to use the thumbs in this situation because I don't know which station I'm affecting. Other than this minor complain, the additions to v2.0.0 are great and cover a lot of functionality that was missing in the previous version. Thanks Pandora!.
  6. matt
    September 08, 2009 at 8:30pm
    The only gripe that I have with Pandora 1.0 as well as the recently released 2.0 is that you cannot edit stations for your quickmix station. until this feature is added, I will be a disappointed user.
    1. Nitai
      July 26, 2013 at 11:00am
      Five years later and the desktop app still doesn't have this feature...
      1. Kev
        December 03, 2015 at 9:38am
        In a month it will be 7 years...
  7. toemoss
    September 14, 2009 at 6:39am
    Great improvement, sounds like to me! Is the price twelve months or calendar year (ending in December)?
  8. marika
    September 15, 2009 at 2:03pm
    Great update! Thanks!
  9. Christiaan
    September 20, 2009 at 5:54pm
    I have always loved Pandora and am always telling friends about this amazing station...but now I am being hit in the wallet. I agree with mjfrombuffalo, I do not mind the ads as much when I can listen to my choice radio stations.
  10. Rickery
    September 22, 2009 at 3:58am
    I have personally owned 78's, 4 tracks, 8 tracks, reel to reel, cassettes, 45's, 33's, CDs, flash drives, tube radios, crystal radios, transistor radios, and satellite radios. I have never experienced something so terrific as the Pandora Radio. Not only have you actually heard of and have the songs I select, your accuracy on the genre is spot on. I just discovered Pandora and I am now a huge cheerleader. Rickery
  11. jason
    September 22, 2009 at 7:46pm
    Thanks for this site, I love finding new bands in certain genres. Instead of having to just search "pop punk" on myspace or whatever, I go here and put in my very favorite bands and it finds ones that sound similar. You're awesome.
  12. Stephanie
    September 23, 2009 at 4:56pm
    LOVE the app! I have an idea: sometimes the album cover is incorrect for the song (i.e. Kiss Me by Sixpence none the richer on Sixpence none the richer shows the album art for Natalie Imbruglia's album - white lillies island) . You should make a way for us to be able to submit a different album cover to the song. Whenever we submit it, other users who view the suggstion could thumb up or thumb down it, and whenever it hits a certain threshold of thumb ups then the album cover is changed. Only one user thumb up per suggestion, that would enforce enough variety to ensure the validity of a suggestion.
  13. noel
    September 25, 2009 at 7:31am
    It's unfortunate that there is not a way to edit the quickmix from the desktop app. It has become such a part of how I listen to music that I had to uninstall the desktop app and go back to web until I see a resolve. LOVE PANDORA - keep up the dev work.
  14. Mike
    September 26, 2009 at 10:27am
    Good update, except is there any way to make the song popup an option? I would like something that is unobstrusive, especially when I am listening to music and working. Thanks.
  15. mimi
    September 26, 2009 at 12:30pm
    pandora haz gewd updates
  16. Luke
    October 08, 2009 at 7:15pm
    Still waiting for social media integration: Last.fm scrobbling, Twitter, Facebook.
  17. Nick
    October 11, 2009 at 9:05pm
    Just started using Pandora (tonight, actually), decided it was great, subscribed, and installed this application. However, I quickly searched around for alternative apps and am now using OpenPandora instead. No hotkey support is a huge disappointment. Not sure how anyone could stand using a standalone media player - one they HAD to pay to access - without having the ability to quickly pause the song without bringing up the window when there are FREE alternatives that do so much more. OpenPandora also scrobbling to Last.fm was simply a bonus, not a requirement of mine.
  18. Joel
    November 06, 2009 at 5:44am
    Add Variety button to the desktop app. Love it, love it, love it.
  19. grb
    November 25, 2009 at 7:37am
    Excellent product, however it owuld be nice if I could turn off the notifications when the song changes. This would make it easier to use in a corporate environment and less intrusive -- you can turn off outlook pop-up notifications,a nd I'd like a similar feature.
  20. Ryan, Pandora Support
    November 25, 2009 at 3:51pm
    @Noel That's a cool idea, we'll definitely keep it in mind for the next version of the Desktop App. @Luke Hope you're enjoying our new Facebook and Twitter integration! @Mike The popups are optional! Click on the triangle menu, then choose "Preferences". Make sure "Display notifications on song change" is deselected.
  21. kaill
    November 27, 2009 at 11:09am
    so what did they fix or change with 2.0.1? for the desktop app.
  22. drew
    June 29, 2010 at 9:56am
    We have downloaded the pandora one app and when we set it to quick mix it only plays rap. Is their a update available? We are running 2.0.1.
  23. Ryan, Pandora Support
    June 29, 2010 at 6:24pm
    @drew -- It sounds like you may have only selected rap stations to be included in your QuickMix. For more information on how to select which stations for your QuickMix, see this entry on our FAQ: http://blog.pandora.com/faq/contents/483.html
  24. Seth
    July 30, 2010 at 1:41pm
    Are there any plans for hotkey support? Fiddling with OpenPandora just to keep it working while I'm paying for Pandora One is irritating but hotkeys are a necessity for me.
  25. Eric
    August 30, 2010 at 3:49pm
    I just bought it, and its worth One for the quality alone! My only wish is the ability to add variety without needing to go into my browser. Keep up the good work pandora, been with you for years.
  26. Brian
    September 29, 2010 at 9:52am
    Is there a way to keep Pandora ONe subscription player always on top of other apps on the desktop?
    1. Kyle
      October 30, 2013 at 12:55pm
      Years later, I'm still finding myself wanting for this very simple-to-code feature and wondering why the hell it isn't an option.
  27. FalconFour
    October 13, 2010 at 6:28am
    Pandora desktop app is nice, but is still rather buggy and lacking in a few areas: First, and most importantly, the Pause function. Fine for "pausing", but when the pause function needs to replace the lack of a "stop" button, it becomes VERY problematic. Since there is no Stop in Pandora, the only thing I can do when I want to turn the music off for the night is "pause" then go to sleep (or close the program, but we'll get to that in a minute). When the computer wakes up the next morning, it's still paused on the last song - big woops. Obviously the data connection is long gone after an overnight pause. But who does it blame when it lost the connection to the server overnight during the pause? It blames my computer, saying, and I lol: "Your computer is having trouble connecting to the network". Oh, is it really? Because the moment I hit Retry, it works fine. It just lost the connection because it had been paused for too long... it should be smart enough to detect that during play and move on. Now about that "close" thing. The default option for the close button is, infuriatingly, to simply hide itself in the tray (I HATE app windows that hide in the tray! Ugh, I really do! Piss on people suggesting putting it in the tray, nothing is more irritating th--... er, /rant). So what happens when you pause the music and close it? It hides itself. Paused. So, when Pandora isn't open, what do you do? Double click it. But it's already hiding in the tray. So it brings itself back up, paused. "Play". It plays the next minute or so of buffered song, then again places the blame on your shoddy computer for "having trouble" connecting to the network. Huh? Plus, application-level volume control is a burden to society that really needs to be abolished. We've already got about 10 different volume controls at any given moment: application, system, speakers, and who knows what in between. Having an application-level volume control is just a waste of code, as any familiar computer user would be shoving app volume to max and using the volume keys on the keyboard or buttons on the speaker. And speaking of keys, there's another thing that could use improvement: global (optional) support for the ubiquitous and well-documented multimedia function keys. Look at the top of your keyboard, chances are you've got some. They should be supported by anything claiming to be a "music player" (globally! if I have to switch back to the application itself, I might as well be clicking the controls instead, right?). Would be nice to have. Just a few cents of "things that would make Pandora desktop infinitely better".
    1. James Walton
      July 17, 2013 at 4:59pm
      +1 to most of these points. Pause vs. Stop - I agree, and find the same issue on the mobile app. However, I notice that in the mobile app, if I pause and close the app, it completely closes and it effectively becomes a Stop. Recovery from loss of connectivity - I also agree with this. Why not make the connection renegotiation transparent to the user? So what if the connection was terminated? Just re-connect and pick up the song where it left off. I also find this to be an issue in the mobile app, although in nearly every release of the mobile app since about version 2.0 losing network connection is as likely to crash the app as pop an error. Latest version is not as bad, but in patchy connection areas I still get the app crashing fairly consistently. App hiding on Close - Here I will disagree. In my use, and probably with many others, we don't really want to get rid of Pandora, but we need to get it out of the way in a hurry (we're listening at work, reasons are endless.) When the app goes into the system tray Paused, it is completely out of the way but we can bring it back exactly the way it was when we were interrupted in our listening. I think it's a fantastic feature. To actually exit the app, right clicking on the system tray icon and clicking Exit will do the trick. One change I'd like to see is larger minimize and close buttons. I'd also be happy with minimizing to the system tray and closing actually exiting the program. Media buttons - Absolutely. No reason why this shouldn't be supported, and would make the minimize/hide/exit argument moot. Independent Volume - I disagree here because if I'm using sound for more than one purpose, it is incredibly handy to have independent controls. I need my system volume high so I hear alerts for incoming messages, emails, etc but I need to be able to have my music volume lower to 1) not disturb coworkers and 2) not drown out my other programs/sounds. Another related point is that there is no equalizer for P1. Most of us that have P1 are audiophiles and we like our music to sound a certain way. Similar to independent volume, I don't necessarily want all my sounds to be equalized the same as my music. It would also be awesome to be able to tweak it for differences in system speakers, external speakers, and headphones. In another post, I commented I'd like to see integration into standard music players, and that would solve most/all of the last 3 points.. Buffering - I would like to see the entire song buffered. Perhaps this isn't realistic for the free version, but for P1 why not? We're paying for a premium service and when using the desktop app we've got an internet connection that will support downloading the entire song in a few seconds. PLEASE buffer the whole song. My biggest pet peeve is getting into a song I really like and having it cut out halfway through because the connection was lost or timed out. As an extension of this, I'd like to see the first bit of the next song buffered right away so skipping a track doesn't mean such a long pause. I know this has been improved, but I would expect the delay could be eliminated in most cases.
  28. tim
    February 14, 2011 at 10:30am
    ok no improvements since 2009 and a hundred commments. Have you guys learned that Pandora is NOT listening?
  29. Misty
    March 02, 2011 at 9:31pm
    Can you please add some way to disable the pop-up that appears at every song change with the desktop application? I don't need to know the very instant the new song plays, if I'm curious, I'll open up the window to read it. It never fails, just as I'm trying to click something on my work or application, the pop-up appears and I end up clicking it and closing what I was working on.
  30. abababaabab
    March 31, 2011 at 2:02pm
    try to adjust your Growl notifications
  31. Phred
    April 05, 2011 at 11:24am
    Ditto on that Misty... need to be able to disable the song info pop-up box.
  32. Jon
    May 23, 2011 at 10:16am
    Misty, Phred, It's easy, Go to preferences and un-check "Display notifications on song change" I've been using the Pandora One applet since it was released. I'm still not happy with the performance while I'm doing other complex tasks on my computer and I often have to shut it down when using other software. My computer is a higher end workstation so I know it's not hardware related. After everything I've read elsewhere, I believe that Adobe AIR is just a resource hog. I'd really like to see this fixed as I love everything else about it. I listen for 8 to 10 hours/day while at work.
  33. derek
    August 16, 2011 at 2:38pm
    Turning off that song title notification for the Pandora 1 desktop app was NOT easy. I had change my Google search at least 5 times, and spent roughly 20min searching blogs and forum's. Finally at the end of this forum Misty/Phred was able to clarify it. 'Check the up triangle on the Pandora app, click preferences, and uncheck Display notifications on each song' . Sounds simple enough, but obviously there are others out there who found this frustrating and difficult enough to complain about. Basically, the song title notification is nice, but should be easier to turn on and off ( because it get's annoying quick ), or at least change preferences easier.
  34. M.D. Waters
    October 30, 2011 at 3:44am
    Love the latest version! One thing I'd like added to the app is an "add variety" option/button. If I want to add something to a station I still need to open the website. Thanks!!
  35. Brian
    December 29, 2011 at 12:05am
    Any way to stream Pandora from my iPad to multiple receivers via Airplay? I know you can stream iTunes to multiple receivers such as and apple TV and Airport Express at the same time, but the iPad Pandora app only allows streaming to one device? Is there a fix somewhere? Hipshot
  36. Mike Cancel
    December 29, 2011 at 5:20pm
    @Brian There's no way to stream Pandora to multiple receivers via Airplay. As you mentioned, you can stream to an Airport Express or Apple TV from a supported iOS device, but not to two of them at once. Great suggestion, though!
    1. James Walton
      July 17, 2013 at 4:27pm
      Perhaps a solution would be to make a Pandora plugin for iTunes, WMP, etc that we can play inside those players like a playlist to use the specific functionalities of those programs?
  37. Patrick
    January 06, 2012 at 10:20am
    BIG BIG DITTO ON THE "ADD VARIETY" OPTION TO THE DESKTOP APP [M.D. Waters at October 30, 2011 3:44 AM]... Has this app not been updated for 2 years? Quick Mix repeats, repeats, repeats... not really functional even with dozens of stations... I have found that simply adding one variety to a station gives MUCH BETTER RESULTS... but have to login to the website to do this??? Yes, I am a paying customer!!
  38. Jeff Boos
    January 09, 2012 at 9:08am
    Hi Patrick, We appreciate the feedback. We are definitely working on feature parity, so stay tuned! -Jeff (Pandora)
    1. Kat
      March 12, 2014 at 9:02am
      another vote for "add variety" in the desktop app. Have been a paying PandoraOne customer for years & love it, but that'd be super handy. Thanks!
  39. sharee taylor
    June 28, 2012 at 2:29am
    I lost my music completely.I paid for this service
  40. Bryan Colon
    August 02, 2012 at 6:27pm
    Make it so it can be minimized and hidden in the system tray, please.
  41. James Walton
    July 17, 2013 at 4:23pm
    I really love the Pandora One app, and especially love that it remembers everything the way I left it. I would really like to see some of that improvement in the Android app now that I've upgraded. The other thing i would really really love to see is a toolbar mode for when I'm using Windows 7/Vista/XP. That way I can pause and skip songs without needing to find the app in my taskbar then find the app on my desktop to pause my music. The reason for this is I listen at work and sometimes need to pause my music in a hurry to answer an important phone call or speak with a team member (or skip a song with explicit lyrics). I use 4 monitors at work, so locating the smallish Pandora app even when I activate it in the taskbar can be a chore.
  42. Mindy Burton
    November 12, 2013 at 9:08am
    I love Pandora One and I use the desktop version daily. Any thoughts about a MiniLyrics plug-in for the desktop version?
    1. PandoraSupport
      August 06, 2014 at 10:39am
      @Mindy Please get in touch with our Support Team here: http://pdora.co/writeus. -Alyssa
  43. Cecilia
    February 19, 2014 at 3:46pm
    Any plans to update this with the new brand?
    1. Pandora Fan
      July 25, 2014 at 3:15pm
      Complaints in 2009 about "Your computer is having trouble connecting to the network". Five years later and no change. Please update the Pandora One app.
      1. PandoraSupport
        August 06, 2014 at 10:38am
        Our Support Team would like to hear more from you. Please email them with your feedback here: http://pdora.co/writeus. -Alyssa
  44. Raul Planas
    August 21, 2014 at 4:09pm
    I would strongly recommend the ability to hide desktop icon from taskbar on minimize. Its already easily accessed in the system tray. No need to keep on taskbar.
  45. Nelson Parra
    November 07, 2014 at 8:00am
    Please add a sleep timer!! Pandora is wasting money in royalty fees and making us pay for it with higher price subscription. Adding a sleep timer to the desktop app would pay for itself in reduced fees. I listen to Pandora at work on my desktop computer, most of the time I have to run out to catch my train and forget to turn off Pandora and it stays playing for who knows how long with no one listening. A sleep timer or scheduler that I can se to stop Pandora at 5:30 PM would save them a lot of money. I'm sure I'm not the only one who forgets to stop Pandora when leaving work.
  46. Scott
    December 06, 2014 at 10:43am
    I'm coming from Spotify, currently running a Pandora One trial, and the app is a real letdown. Version 2.0 has been out for over 5 years, and it's a bad joke that we're still here. I hate the app for several reasons: 1. It's too small. Why is it a tiny window that cannot be resized? Many song titles don't even fit in this stupid little window. The volume slider, and all the other UI elements that are crammed into tiny spaces here and there (or hidden altogether) should be fully accessible, all the time. 2. It doesn't support media keys? Seriously? I bought a Griffin Technology PowerMate, expecting I could use it with Pandora One (without the need to focus the Pandora One window first, each time). 3. Can't edit stations in it? I have to open the web site to do this, and so many other things. I don't expect Pandora Desktop to have *all* the functionality of the web site, but basic station viewing/editing should definitely be there. I know my words fall on deaf ears, so no, I won't be surprised when another 5 years go by and nothing improves.

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )