pre.jpgOne of the great things about my job is that every once and a while I get to see some cool new phone or gadget before its been announced or released. Back in December 08, the team at Palm invited us to come to their offices in Sunnyvale for a sneak peek at their new OS and phone. I went in with modest expectations and was blown away by all they had achieved. I remember leaving the building excited about the chance to help them launch their new phone and to act as an early design partner for their development SDK.
Fast forward 6 months and the Palm Pre is now in the hands of real live users and people are starting to listen to Pandora from their new phones. We’re really excited about the results. Pandora on the Pre is a great listening experience – a fluid user interface with all the standard Pandora features you’ve come to expect on the web. It even runs in the background where it presents a mini playback control panel in the Pre’s dashboard area.
To learn more about Pandora for Palm Pre, click here.
If you’ve haven’t seen the great commercial Palm is running to announce the Pre, click here to get a look – and keep your eyes peeled for a Pandora mention toward the end.
I’m really happy to add the Palm Pre alongside the other Pandora smartphone implementations on iPhone, Blackberry, and Windows Mobile. Covering the entire smartphone space is a big task and we’re not done yet, but we’re devoted to bringing Pandora to every smartphone platform where our listeners want us to be. Yes Android users that means we’ve heard you loud and clear – you’re next!

Comments

1. BMB
    June 10, 2009 at 7:05am
    Wow, that commercial is amazing! If that was for real and not CG, then I am very impressed by whoever directed it. Quick shout out to Pandora, but a shout out nonetheless on the commercial. You got me excited about the Pre. I had a Palm a few years back before the phone integration. I have a simple phone right now with Verizon, but have been debating about whether to get an iPhone or something else. You have me thinking about the Pre now. Love that Pandora can go with you on your way!
  2. Jason
    June 10, 2009 at 9:12am
    Please make a VGA resolution compatible version of Pandora mobile. Most newer Windows Mobile phones have 480x640 screens, such as the HTC Touch Pro and Diamond. The current version doesn't work with most newer phones. Thanks.
  3. Topher
    June 10, 2009 at 9:55am
    Came here for Android re-assurance. Didn't leave disappointed.
  4. Joe Gianoli
    June 10, 2009 at 12:46pm
  5. Kate
    June 10, 2009 at 9:04pm
    Any chance you'll ever get more winmo phone support? I have a samsung omnia, and it crushes me that I can't listen to pandora on it.
  6. MIke
    June 11, 2009 at 10:47am
    Does the app for the Pre allow calls through? On my Samsung I don't get interrupted for calls - My Google apps seem to have figured out how to let the voice call through, though maybe because they are not constantly streaming info...
  7. Melinda VanEtten
    June 11, 2009 at 10:58am
    My coworker just told me about Pandora. Now I can't stop listening to it! It seems to know my tastes so well, and I've only just begun playing with it. Thanks for all you do.
  8. Kitsunisan
    June 11, 2009 at 12:06pm
    "What a bunch of crap. How long as the SDK for android been out, now? 12 months? The G1 has sold 1 million units. More android phones are on the way. The Pre sells 50,000 units and you are here to announce a Pre app before and Android app? I've been the biggest Pandora fanboi you can imagine, but this is the last straw. Last.fm here I come." My thoughts exactly Joe, screw Pandora. LastFM works great on Android.
  9. Laurence
    June 11, 2009 at 12:26pm
    Well Pandora, Im guessing you were paid a pretty penny to develop pandora for Palm first. After telling us that you were evaluating the android platform. You dont gotta lie to kick it. i think there is many of android users now that will just stick with Last.FM because of this. Maybe you should just continue to sell out to companies.
  10. freebirds87
    June 11, 2009 at 12:34pm
    Woot woot for Android Users!