Windows MobileIt’s been well over a year since I first talked publicly about Pandora for Windows Mobile. After a number of false starts and broken promises on my part, I’m happy to report that we’ve now released our first Windows Mobile implementations of Pandora.
Today we’re rolling out Pandora for the HTC XV6900 on Verizon, the HTC Touch on Sprint, and the Motorola Q9C on both Sprint and Verizon. These are free to download and are supported solely through advertising. The entire Pandora experience you’ve come to expect on the web is available on your Windows Mobile phone: create stations, listen, give feedback, QuickMix, etc.
In cooperation with AT&T we are also launching Pandora support for three additional Windows Mobile phones: the Samsung Epix, the LG Incite, and HTC Fuze. AT&T has decided to make these versions of Pandora available on a monthly subscription basis.
To get started with Pandora on your HTC Touch, HTC XV6900, Motorola Q9C, LG Incite, HTC Fuze, or Samsung Epix simply visit http://www.pandora.com using Mobile Internet Explorer on your smartphone and follow the installation instructions.
We’re continuing the work required to bring Pandora to a broader range of Windows Mobile handsets. Keep your eye on this blog and this page for updates on new handsets.
For those of you that have been keeping an eye on this since I first talked about it so long ago, thanks again for your patience. Enjoy!

Comments

1. brad
    February 23, 2009 at 12:13pm
    there are already 16 posts about putting pandora on the g1. I don't think i can express how great the g1 is or how much pandora is needed on it. please?
  2. Jeremie
    February 26, 2009 at 11:58am
    I have a Moto Q9h on AT&T. Any chance this is similar to the Q9c you've already built?
  3. Darlene
    February 26, 2009 at 1:56pm
    I want to say thanks for Pandora. I listen to it at work. I have to put my vote in for Pandora to be able to work on t-mobile g1 phone. I just got mine a couple of months ago and would love to listen to my station on it. good luck with trying to get it to more mobile devices. Once I have Pandora on my phone and flash player then it will be perfect.
  4. hector
    February 28, 2009 at 8:45am
    Good espanol
  5. Lorenzo
    March 02, 2009 at 12:34pm
    Hey you have got to do something with T mobile. I love pandora. Put my mom and dad on it. They are pandora junkies. I just need to access it on my T mobile phone like ATT can. Do that for me guys. Thanks
  6. NanoQ
    March 05, 2009 at 4:42pm
    sup guy i have an unlocked HTC Diamond Touch and my carrier is Tmobile. I went to the Internet Explorer and the site said it did not support my device.. i read it worked for the HTC Touch on sprint, but not on mine? weird..
  7. Joanna
    March 07, 2009 at 6:53pm
    AT&T just lost some major cool points! Sprint made them look like chumps. I was thinking about getting the epix... but now I might just get the instinct... argh!
  8. Derrick
    March 09, 2009 at 2:29pm
    Another long-time Pandora listener and fan casting a hopeful nod for an Android-compatible Pandora app. I'm currently in the market for a new device (and possibly, carrier). I'd have popped for the G1 in an instant if there'd been a Pandora app available. In fact, Pandora is one of the VERY few services/applications that are sufficiently important to me to seriously influence a hardware purchase decision. It's just that awesome. For the record, guys, you're doing a great job. You continue to provide a music discovery and enjoyment experience absolutely second to none, even in the face of some not-insubstantial adversity. And what's more, you're clearly dedicated to ensuring that your fans have the widest possible array of choices and outlets for that experience. Thanks, and keep up the good work.
  9. meely
    March 15, 2009 at 4:42pm
    Allow me to throw another bone for the G1... just bought one... brought it home... and, alas... it is not Pandora compatible. PLEASE!!!!!!!!! How long must we wait???? :(
  10. Ryan
    March 17, 2009 at 7:11pm
    "Pandora is a relatively small company with a huge listener base; we have to fight battles (like the one currently being waged for royalty rates in Congress) and meet goals (like making Pandora available for new platforms), one at a time. The last year or two has seen a proliferation of smart phones and on our end, it's not that easy to keep up! We're working on it though..." May I suggest you publish and API or an SDK and let the community fill in the holes? I'm sure apps would start to pop up quickly.
  11. Alee – Listener Advocate
    March 18, 2009 at 9:48am
    @meely--All I can say is be patient. We don't rush these things as we want to be able to offer a great product that is suited to each individual phone. I know some folks think we're leaving them in the dust but it really just takes time to get the proper thing for all these separate phones. @Ryan--At this time, we feel pretty strongly about releasing a stellar app for each phone. No/minimal bugs, tailored to each UI, etc.
  12. eneleh2
    March 19, 2009 at 1:13pm
    I have been waiting patiently for Pandora to be available on Blackberry...and finally it is!!! My hopes were crushed when you don't have it on T-Mobile!!! :( I have been a long time Pandora user...How long must I wait?? :( :( :(
  13. Astromanaught.
    April 02, 2009 at 8:31am
    How hard is it to make a a windows mobile application, that is free of carrier dependancy?! obiviously you can, because its out on other windows mobile devices. what it boils down to is poor business decisions. The Iphone got an app almost from the getgo, and now even the Blackberry has one.
  14. Kim
    April 02, 2009 at 8:41am
    Just making another plea for Pandora & G1... pleeeease.
  15. Peter
    April 10, 2009 at 1:04pm
    I am very disappointed that you guys didn't make windows mobile app that would work on all WM phones and that everyone could download from this website. All other apps for WM are working with all phones and devices that runs WM so I don't understand why you have to have different version for different phones if they all running WM. I have HTC Fuse and even though i love pandora, I really don't feel like paying additional 9 bucks if I'm already paying 30 bucks for unlimited internet in ATT. Please do something about it
  16. Alee – Listener Advocate
    April 13, 2009 at 10:59am
    @Peter--Unfortunately, each phone needs its own separate build. We can't assure that Pandora will work effectively with a uniform app for all phones. We're working on getting it right for every WinMo phone we present. -A
  17. Brian
    April 18, 2009 at 8:18pm
    HTC PPC 6800 on Alltel here. Same exact hardware as the HTC Mogul and I can't install it, says my device is not supported. Come on, this is just silly.
  18. Brant
    April 21, 2009 at 6:15pm
    I understand that it is imperative for Pandora to have a bug-free application for every device. However, many are looking elsewhere for an application that is supported on their NEW devices. I personally have a Sprint Touch Pro and have been waiting over 6 months now for Pandora to support this device. By the time it is supported, I will be switching to the Palm Pre. I'm guessing I will then have to wait another 6 months to a year for it to be supported. Long story short, it would be in everyone's best interest if Pandora could start working with the carriers and device manufacturers prior to the devices launching. If this is done, Pandora wouldnt be spending valuable time writing programs for extremely outdated devices. Thank you for listening.
  19. AppDev
    April 22, 2009 at 6:52pm
    >How hard is it to make a a windows mobile application, that is free of carrier dependency? It's not. See below. >Unfortunately, each phone needs its own separate build. What a load of horse hockey! Using that logic you couldn't run any program on a computer until you had a build for every manufacture. You are building for platforms (Windows Mobile, BB, Android, etc) not individual phones. Yes I write software. Including Windows mobile programs and I have yet to change a build for different phones other than screen size but that can be detected and programmed as required. If your getting support from AT&T (Part of the $9/month in addition to the $30/month "Unlimited" internet) then just say so. I could understand it better, we all need to eat. But really why would I want to pay $9/month when I can cut out the middle man and get a subscription for $3/month ($36/yr)? That's right, their AT&T and can do anything they want. It looks like I will have to find another mobile net radio to listen to at AT&T cut my service to Pandora today. Internet, email just fine. Pandora, "We are experiencing technical problems. Try again later" message. Maybe back to LastFM.
  20. Jeff
    April 27, 2009 at 10:52am
    So I have to agree with Brian. Pandora is the first application that I have seen for Windows Mobile that is completely dependent to the AT&T service along with being specific to a single Windows Mobile Device. As Brant, I have programmed for Windows Mobile Devices, and Used the following template in the programming structure: * Programmed the service to be a stremaing service that provides the data to a player. * Create a playing object within the software that passes the information from the player to the sound driver of the device (how this information is passed is based on programming language and OS) * Create a control shell that manages the playing service in the OS Seeing as Windows Mobile is based on the principles of OOP, and that all Windows Mobile devices use the same drivers and technologies, minus the fact that some have drivers for touch screens, everything else is built into the OS. Sound card, flipping technologies for slide out keyboards, all of that is integrated into the OS. Some might have slight issues, but nothing that should prevent the insallation of the software, nor hinder the users use of the software.
  21. jsjohnson
    May 14, 2009 at 1:07pm
    As a Fuze owner and newly introduced Pandora fan (I WILL be a $36/year subscriber), I�d like to take a different approach to this problem. Pandora has made their position clear � they don�t want to piss off ATT and bypass ATT�s money making scheme to charge for yet another otherwise free app (read: Telenav vs. Google Maps or Hulu vs. MobiTV as good examples). I understand that�part of Pandora�s model to sustain itself is by bundling it with ATT apps. The question I have then is what is the amount that Pandora gets from ATT over the life of the Pandora subscription? I would imagine Pandora gets a monthly cut of the action (maybe $1-2 tops) per subscriber and possibly a marginal payment for the initial bundling of the app itself. Since my unlimited service is no different than an iPhone user�s AND they are not allocating anymore bandwidth to me based on this subscription than I would get without it (which shoots the whole theory that Pandora users are somehow paying for additional bandwidth for �just� this app) then I propose allowing me to pay Pandora directly. That�s right�.for that same $1-2 per month I would happily pay Pandora directly for THEIR contributions. ATT is nothing more than a distribution mechanism here�they won�t field calls about Pandora, they aren�t supporting it�.just milking it for what I�m guessing is $6-7 profit each month over a pipe that is NOT extended by virtue of said subscriptions. So if that�s the case, then give me the OPTION of paying the company directly. I can stomach $1-2/month in addition to my $36 annual contribution (or better yet make a PC/phone bundle price) for a WM version for my Fuze. In addition, please consider assisting your users in filing a petition against ATT for what would surely be considered biased and unfair practices by the FCC for content regulation and segregation (iPhone get the service and I don't???). While you may not want to jeopardize your ATT subsidies, I can assure you that the upside for potential profits is much higher when siding with your customers in the long term.
  22. alex
    May 23, 2009 at 9:59am
    volume problem with q9h. wmp plays fine and loud but at max vol pandora is still too quiet. any ideas?
  23. DeaconBlues
    May 23, 2009 at 9:32pm
    Please explain why the HTC Mogul for SPrint is compatible but the HTC PPC 6800 from Alltel is not? They are the same phone, the only difference being the carrier and branding. sooo? um what gives?
  24. Remy
    May 26, 2009 at 10:00am
    I need pandora for my Sony Ericsson Xperia X1 =(
  25. Asdf
    May 27, 2009 at 8:13pm
    I would love to see it come out for the HTC diamond :D
  26. Austin
    June 03, 2009 at 10:09pm
    I'm honestly curious as to why they have not added the Touch Pro to the supported list. They have a version for the AT&T Fuze, which is just the AT&T-branded Touch Pro, so they obviously have a VGA version. Then again, if the version for the Fuze is purposely crippled so the AT&T users have to pay the extra fee, AT&T may not want them releasing an un-crippled version for the same hardware.
  27. Seth
    June 04, 2009 at 8:09am
    Guys, you must tired of fielding all of these requests for specific phone types. We know there is no way you can develop and test every phone out there ... so let the open source community help! Publish an API and let us build our own apps to access your service. You can still charge a monthly fee for access, and you'll have a much bigger potential user base. The open source projects out there right now are all hacks built on top of your flash player and that's crazy. Just give us a set of web services, and you'll never have to field another "my device please" request again.
  28. todd
    June 15, 2009 at 8:33pm
    i need it for my htc diamond.
  29. John Berry
    June 17, 2009 at 9:52am
    I've been reading this forum, month after month after month, and I continue to hear the exact same thing from Pandora... COMING SOON. How about giving us a date so that we can hold you true to a deadline! Instead of losing customers that get fed up with waiting month after month! I'm not going to make it much longer! I'm going to switch to last.fm soon, as almost everyone I know is doing because you won't get your apps out! It is obvious, Pandora has fallen subject to some type of influence... somebody somewhere with money is telling them to not release any further WinMo apps because the carriers don't want to deal with the increased load on their network!
  30. Drew
    June 23, 2009 at 5:46pm
    Honestly if people want to pay for music why would they not get sirius or an actual subscription service pandora is by no means what so ever worth paying 96/year.. The funniest part is that on the page that you advertise for windows mobile, you call pandora a free program.. Well officialy you can no longer do that. I will spread to every single user that i see that pandora is not a free service.. even though you could have ad supported the winmo version too, you choose to screw over the very people that put you in a position to get your foot in the door with carriers like at& t in the first place.. shame on your company and shame on you guys for trying to justify these prejudice and downright sleezy business practices. Here's what's gonna happen.. You're going to try and keep bending over real people so you can side with at&t and other "players" in the group that thinks control to content is king. very soon you'll find that a free player will pop up to replace you.. "what, it wasn't our slick app and crude negotiating skills with at&t" "It wasn't our ability to divide the amount of money we're screwing you by the days in the year to make it look smaller." no it was the free access to content that made the difference. That's right content is king. I'll guess ill go try out last.fm or look into a subscription from a real content provider.. you know sirius has over 200 stations now with no commercials and had a pretty solid WinMo app over a year ago that works on any windows mobile device...
  31. Rob
    June 29, 2009 at 3:18pm
    Removed Pandora mobile from my AT&T phone. I won't pay $9/month to AT&T for a server I should get for free with unlimited data. Should I pay $9/month for every site I want to visit? What's next, $9/month for youtube?
  32. nate
    July 05, 2009 at 7:16am
    can you please add support for the HTC Ozone?
  33. dut
    July 07, 2009 at 11:20am
    would love 2 see Pandora available on HTC Touch Diamond
  34. Vicky
    July 12, 2009 at 11:46am
    Pandora on ANDROID! Where is it please?
  35. jcelaya
    July 15, 2009 at 1:41am
    What About the LG VU, did it just skip right on into the encite???
  36. A_Pickle
    July 17, 2009 at 8:22pm
    I'm a user of a Windows Mobile 6.1 Palm Treo Pro... and Pandora doesn't work on my device. :/
  37. Noel
    July 24, 2009 at 7:09am
    It's great to see development for Windows Mobile! I'm looking forward to support for my WM 5.0 iPAQ 2400.
  38. ROb
    August 20, 2009 at 11:07pm
    I just went from a blackberry 8900 to the touch pro 2 on t-mobile's network. My carrier does not restrict what sites and charge us we have unlimited data. Why don't you have support for more phones. I liked pandora was awesome app but now i'm stuck without it thankgod for shoutcast servers might not offer to tailor stations to my needs. But hey i can listen to music.
  39. james
    August 29, 2009 at 8:47pm
    i would also like pandora to work on the htc touch diamond, it is going to be out soon, hopefully! any questions on when the app will be out for the phone?
  40. Randy Harper
    September 02, 2009 at 7:04am
    Pandora for the Samsung Saga please.... Used Pandora on the Blackberry Storm and it was great however the Storm is nearly impossible to text on so we switched to the Samsung Saga, Now we really miss Pandora. Please oh please create app for the SAGA ASAP
  41. Purpose_0
    September 09, 2009 at 7:14am
    Okay guys + girls at Pandora. Im not one to complain or even blog and I know you'all get a lot of this but it's become very serious at this point. You say you support WM Devices, but I wholeheartedly disagree. You supported WM devices 2 years ago when the WM devices you have software for actually came out. Since then you've cmoe out with software for the Iphone, Android, The Palm Pre, and the Blackberry Bold which are all fairly new devices, some of which have come out even AFTER say the Touch Pro or Diamond. WHAT YOU GUYS DEAL?? Again, I'm not one to complain, especially for something thats free. But this is getting quite rediculous. The Touch Pro 2 and Diamond Pro 2 are now out and you don't even have the software for the old versions of the phone. Word of advice Pandora, learn from your predecessors. Catchup now while you can or you'll be left behind. Feel free to answer these concerns if indeed you'all pay attention to your blogs.
  42. HighPingedLPB
    September 13, 2009 at 2:59am
    Please please please make a version for the htc ozone. I really wanna get that phone instead of a blackberry, but there's no official release for it yet. :(
  43. Basta
    September 23, 2009 at 6:13pm
    I subscribe to the Pandora One service and was bummed out when I found that I couldn't get Pandora on my new T-Mobile Dash 3G (HTC Snap). I realize that it's a tad bit difficult to support EVERY device out there but the least we could do is see a mobile version of the Pandora Web platform for use on our phones. Is that at all possible?
  44. David Radcliffe
    October 06, 2009 at 11:06am
    What about the Samsung Jack?
  45. John Harris
    October 07, 2009 at 10:14pm
    Please, please, Pandora on the Samsung Saga! Samsung Saga is technically the i770; its extremely similar to the i760, which is supported. Can't you just tweak it a little bit, please?
  46. Jackie Bennett
    October 13, 2009 at 8:57am
    After trading my Blackberry for a Windows Mobile phone, I learned the hard way that smartphones are no fun without Pandora! Please support HTC Ozone!!! I have a paid subscription to Pandora, and now I can't use it while I stroll the streets of NY!!! Helllp!!!
  47. Jay
    October 13, 2009 at 8:32pm
    Support the HTC ozone already. The CAB from the q9c almost works flawlessly, It just has some wierd 'reconnecting' issue. But you already know this. It's been how many months? I traded my q9c for the ozone. Now Im stuck without Pandora. I'm ready to give up. I dont even use the regular site anymore. Why view your ads if you've given up on my platform? (and you have, You support 4 windows mobile devices, all of which are antiquated and all but obsolete). Thanks.
  48. Sharon
    October 16, 2009 at 7:59pm
    HTC Touch Pro 2 support please.
  49. ron
    October 17, 2009 at 2:26pm
    I upgraded to a Sprint HTC Touch Pro 2 yesterday & lost Pandora. PLEASE add my device.... I really MISS my music!
  50. Frankenbike
    October 21, 2009 at 3:47pm
    So I switched from a Sprint Mogul to a Verizon Imagio, a pretty neat multimedia world phone. So you don't support my phone. Well, I installed the Mogul app. It works, though the text is tiny and it isn't aligned right. I have to ask: why are you supporting individual WinMo devices instead of just supporting Windows Mobile? It's obvious the substructure of the program ports fine. I mean, every other program from my Mogul displays fine. Can't you guys just come clean and tell us why you take this piecemeal approach? If it's business reasons, we'd be more patient.