******* UPDATE *******
We’re thrilled to let everyone know that the House bill passed! Thanks to your incredible support we were able to overcome the NAB’s efforts to derail us. Phone calls rained into the congressional offices over the past 36 hours. Just amazing.
We’re not done. We still need to get the bill through the Senate, which looks like it will be voting on the bill on Monday.
So stay tuned. We want to make sure the Senators know how important it is for them support our resolution. We’ll be reaching out again to ask you for one more push.
Our deepest gratitude.
************
Listeners we need your help… NOW!
After a yearlong negotiation, Pandora, artists and record companies are finally optimistic about reaching an agreement on royalties that would save Pandora and Internet radio. But just as we’ve gotten close, large traditional broadcast radio companies have launched a covert lobbying campaign to sabotage our progress.
Yesterday, Congressman Jay Inslee, and several co-sponsors, introduced legislation to give us the extra time we need but the National Association of Broadcasters (NAB), which represents radio broadcasters such as Clear Channel, has begun intensively pressuring lawmakers to kill the bill. We have just a day or two to keep this from collapsing.
This is a blatant attempt by large radio companies to suffocate the webcasting industry that is just beginning to offer an alternative to their monopoly of the airwaves.
Please call your Congressperson right now and ask them to support H.R. 7084, the Webcaster Settlement Act of 2008 – and to not capitulate to pressure from the NAB. Congress is currently working extended hours, so even calls this evening and over the weekend should get answered.
The central congressional switchboard number is: (202) 225 3121
Or to look up your representative, visit: https://forms.house.gov/wyr/welcome.shtml
If the phone is busy, please try again until you get through. These calls really do make a difference.
This is a fork in the road. Only massive grassroots opposition will keep us from another 50 years of top 40 radio. It’s time to take a stand and break the stranglehold of broadcast media on radio.
Thanks so much for you ongoing support.
Tim
Founder, Pandora

Comments

1. Randal L. Schwartz
    September 26, 2008 at 7:22pm
    Please note that the URL you gave links to a form that can be used without calling. This is great. I just sent my representative a notice that what Pandora is doing is providing me and millions of other Americans a chance to listen to what the labels actually want us to listen to... replacing the service of terrestrial radio in the modern age. Pandora is essential in this new age. Do everything you can to help save it.
  2. Tim
    September 26, 2008 at 7:34pm
    I called and wrote a email to my Rep. Mike Turner. I really want Pandora to be here for the long haul! Glad I can help fight the fight. Keep your heads up and stay focused. Tim
  3. John Shaft
    September 26, 2008 at 8:01pm
    You know, Congress might be a little busy dealing with a more important issue in the next few days. Pandora's future, in comparison, hardly constitutes a congressional emergency.
  4. Captain Amazing
    September 26, 2008 at 8:06pm
    Here's a sample letter that others can use and edit to their hearts content! Please support H.R. 7084, the Webcaster Settlement Act of 2008 - and DO NOT capitulate to pressure from the National Association of Broadcasters (NAB). Webcasters offer REAL CHOICE to EVERYONE who uses the Internet!!! Ever heard...I have hundreds of channels on Cable TV, but still theirs nothing good on? Well on the Radio it's even worse! However, you NEVER hear that from those who turn to the Internet for educational podcasts, streaming music radio stations ... basically anything and everything YOU WANT is available for you to find and use on the Internet. No more being forced to pick from the limited available choices on the Cable TV box and/or Radio dial. Also, so many GREAT services are being created by young startup companies that in many cases don't have a lot of money and can't afford to be bullied around by companies and organizations such as the NAB. PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE support H.R. 7084, the Webcaster Settlement Act of 2008! Thank in advance for helping to build a better democracy (not monopoly)!
  5. Paul
    September 26, 2008 at 9:26pm
    Nanci Pelosi's mailbox is full. SF - encourage your friends around the USA to call!
  6. DCTenor1
    September 26, 2008 at 10:02pm
    I emailed this letter to my congressman. Please feel free to copy and edit as you like. I also called my congressman's local office (DC voice mail was full!) and left a voice mail explaining how crucial this bill is, and explaining that if he does not vote for it, I will not vote for him. (Never called my congressman before, but this is important to me!) LETTER: I am writing to strongly urge you to support H.R. 7084, the Webcaster Settlement Act of 2008. Pandora and other Internet broadcasters are far more effective than terrestrial broadcasters in serving the public interest, convenience and necessity. Yet Internet broadcasters face draconian royalties while terrestrial broadcasters don't have to pay anything. The Webcaster Settlement Act of 2008 will allow this new and wonderful technology to flourish unimpeded by arbitrary and capricious charges. Please do not capitulate to pressure from the National Association of Broadcasters. They represent a powerful conglomeration of dinosaurs who do very little for the public good. Internet radio allows personalization and customization that greatly enhance listeners' quality of life -- it would be a travesty if stale big broadcasters thrive with no royalty payments while innovative Internet radio stations are suffocated by absurdly disproportionate royalties. PLEASE support H.R. 7084, the Webcaster Settlement Act of 2008. Thank you.
  7. William
    September 26, 2008 at 10:19pm
    I just contacted my rep, too. Happily, she's Speaker Pelosi, so I hope it helps. Good luck!
  8. CocteauBoy
    September 26, 2008 at 10:24pm
    Thanks, John! That's an excellent letter of support! troy aka cocteauboy
  9. Lucia @ Pandora
    September 26, 2008 at 10:53pm
    Thanks so much for your support, everybody! It really means a lot to us. Best, Lucia, from Pandora
  10. Yinepuhotep
    September 26, 2008 at 11:13pm
    Thanks for the link to contact my congressman. Rep. Paul Hodes has heard from me. Oh, and you might want to check your comment flood protection. It blocked this post when I first sent it, despite my having NEVER posted on this blog before.