******* UPDATE *******
We’re thrilled to let everyone know that the House bill passed! Thanks to your incredible support we were able to overcome the NAB’s efforts to derail us. Phone calls rained into the congressional offices over the past 36 hours. Just amazing.
We’re not done. We still need to get the bill through the Senate, which looks like it will be voting on the bill on Monday.
So stay tuned. We want to make sure the Senators know how important it is for them support our resolution. We’ll be reaching out again to ask you for one more push.
Our deepest gratitude.
************
Listeners we need your help… NOW!
After a yearlong negotiation, Pandora, artists and record companies are finally optimistic about reaching an agreement on royalties that would save Pandora and Internet radio. But just as we’ve gotten close, large traditional broadcast radio companies have launched a covert lobbying campaign to sabotage our progress.
Yesterday, Congressman Jay Inslee, and several co-sponsors, introduced legislation to give us the extra time we need but the National Association of Broadcasters (NAB), which represents radio broadcasters such as Clear Channel, has begun intensively pressuring lawmakers to kill the bill. We have just a day or two to keep this from collapsing.
This is a blatant attempt by large radio companies to suffocate the webcasting industry that is just beginning to offer an alternative to their monopoly of the airwaves.
Please call your Congressperson right now and ask them to support H.R. 7084, the Webcaster Settlement Act of 2008 – and to not capitulate to pressure from the NAB. Congress is currently working extended hours, so even calls this evening and over the weekend should get answered.
The central congressional switchboard number is: (202) 225 3121
Or to look up your representative, visit: https://forms.house.gov/wyr/welcome.shtml
If the phone is busy, please try again until you get through. These calls really do make a difference.
This is a fork in the road. Only massive grassroots opposition will keep us from another 50 years of top 40 radio. It’s time to take a stand and break the stranglehold of broadcast media on radio.
Thanks so much for you ongoing support.
Tim
Founder, Pandora

Comments

1. Randal L. Schwartz
    September 26, 2008 at 7:22pm
    Please note that the URL you gave links to a form that can be used without calling. This is great. I just sent my representative a notice that what Pandora is doing is providing me and millions of other Americans a chance to listen to what the labels actually want us to listen to... replacing the service of terrestrial radio in the modern age. Pandora is essential in this new age. Do everything you can to help save it.
  2. Tim
    September 26, 2008 at 7:34pm
    I called and wrote a email to my Rep. Mike Turner. I really want Pandora to be here for the long haul! Glad I can help fight the fight. Keep your heads up and stay focused. Tim
  3. John Shaft
    September 26, 2008 at 8:01pm
  4. Captain Amazing
    September 26, 2008 at 8:06pm
    Here's a sample letter that others can use and edit to their hearts content! Please support H.R. 7084, the Webcaster Settlement Act of 2008 - and DO NOT capitulate to pressure from the National Association of Broadcasters (NAB). Webcasters offer REAL CHOICE to EVERYONE who uses the Internet!!! Ever heard...I have hundreds of channels on Cable TV, but still theirs nothing good on? Well on the Radio it's even worse! However, you NEVER hear that from those who turn to the Internet for educational podcasts, streaming music radio stations ... basically anything and everything YOU WANT is available for you to find and use on the Internet. No more being forced to pick from the limited available choices on the Cable TV box and/or Radio dial. Also, so many GREAT services are being created by young startup companies that in many cases don't have a lot of money and can't afford to be bullied around by companies and organizations such as the NAB. PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE support H.R. 7084, the Webcaster Settlement Act of 2008! Thank in advance for helping to build a better democracy (not monopoly)!
  5. Paul
    September 26, 2008 at 9:26pm
    Nanci Pelosi's mailbox is full. SF - encourage your friends around the USA to call!
  6. DCTenor1
    September 26, 2008 at 10:02pm
    I emailed this letter to my congressman. Please feel free to copy and edit as you like. I also called my congressman's local office (DC voice mail was full!) and left a voice mail explaining how crucial this bill is, and explaining that if he does not vote for it, I will not vote for him. (Never called my congressman before, but this is important to me!) LETTER: I am writing to strongly urge you to support H.R. 7084, the Webcaster Settlement Act of 2008. Pandora and other Internet broadcasters are far more effective than terrestrial broadcasters in serving the public interest, convenience and necessity. Yet Internet broadcasters face draconian royalties while terrestrial broadcasters don't have to pay anything. The Webcaster Settlement Act of 2008 will allow this new and wonderful technology to flourish unimpeded by arbitrary and capricious charges. Please do not capitulate to pressure from the National Association of Broadcasters. They represent a powerful conglomeration of dinosaurs who do very little for the public good. Internet radio allows personalization and customization that greatly enhance listeners' quality of life -- it would be a travesty if stale big broadcasters thrive with no royalty payments while innovative Internet radio stations are suffocated by absurdly disproportionate royalties. PLEASE support H.R. 7084, the Webcaster Settlement Act of 2008. Thank you.
  7. William
    September 26, 2008 at 10:19pm
    I just contacted my rep, too. Happily, she's Speaker Pelosi, so I hope it helps. Good luck!
  8. CocteauBoy
    September 26, 2008 at 10:24pm
    Thanks, John! That's an excellent letter of support! troy aka cocteauboy
  9. Lucia @ Pandora
    September 26, 2008 at 10:53pm
    Thanks so much for your support, everybody! It really means a lot to us. Best, Lucia, from Pandora
  10. Yinepuhotep
    September 26, 2008 at 11:13pm
    Thanks for the link to contact my congressman. Rep. Paul Hodes has heard from me. Oh, and you might want to check your comment flood protection. It blocked this post when I first sent it, despite my having NEVER posted on this blog before.
  11. Ben Kessler
    September 26, 2008 at 11:54pm
    I have setup a Facebook group to keep everyone posted on this. Please pass this around to all of your friends. Let's fill this thing up and fight back! http://www.new.facebook.com/group.php?gid=29146697057&ref=mf
  12. Rob Napier
    September 27, 2008 at 12:06am
    I'm a huge fan of Pandora. I'm a paid subscriber, listen every day and spend my spare time on PandoraBoy to make it easier to for others to listen. But please, can you post the text of the bill you're asking us to support? It hasn't made it to Thomas yet and probably won't for a day or two.
  13. Etienne
    September 27, 2008 at 1:05am
    Link to some info on the bill http://www.gop.gov/c/document_library/get_file?folderId=11&name=DLFE-2222.pdf
  14. Tim Westergren
    September 27, 2008 at 6:09am
    Thanks for the support everyone. If you call and get a full mailbox, please call back again later. They'll have people in the offices eventually this weekend. The vote is sometime today (Saturday) or tomorrow (Sunday) the house! Thanks again. Tim (Founder)
  15. Mark
    September 27, 2008 at 6:28am
    You must *not* be taken off "the air" (so to speak). Pandora is the best -- I listen every day! As others have said, thanks so much for the music!!! :)
  16. Jessica
    September 27, 2008 at 7:10am
    Sent to Congressman Bartlett (Maryland 6th): I hope it's not too late to weigh in on HR 7084. I'd like to encourage you to support this bill. As an independent musician and someone who enjoys finding new music via the internet, I appreciate technology that allows artists to reach new listeners. I'm very suspicious of the National Association of Broadcasters' attempt to block this legislation, as they are not typically supportive of independent artists and new technology. Thank you for your time and attention to this issue, especially considering the larger economic emergencies at hand.
  17. Matt
    September 27, 2008 at 7:25am
    Thanks for the sample letters, I've contacted my rep.
  18. Vin
    September 27, 2008 at 7:25am
    Tim wrote: You know, Congress might be a little busy dealing with a more important issue in the next few days. Pandora's future, in comparison, hardly constitutes a congressional emergency. Good point, Tim -- during such a crisis they "shouldn't" be meeting with NAB lobbyists and "shouldn't" be voting on such a trivial matter, but they ARE doing it now -- so I hope no citizens felt ashamed to make their opinions known to their legislators. Oh, BTW, shut up Tim.
  19. Jason Bogovich
    September 27, 2008 at 7:47am
    I have tried to call Voinivich but his mailbox was full. I am now trying to contact them via eform and will try to keep calling explaining I will not vote for him this Fall unless he supports this bill. I support senators who support different types of competition even if the competition shrinks a total market. What the people want is what competition need to adjust to and we don't need federal intervention or any intervention unfairly eliminating a form of business that doesn't scale out to multi billions of dollars. It's incredible.
  20. Jason Bogovich
    September 27, 2008 at 7:53am
    This is what I wrote. Reasons why: 1. Consumers of all kinds love Internet radio, we learn from cultures all around the world and what types of music they play there, and visa versa. 2. Many of us have thousands upon thousands of dollars equipment which relies on internet radio. My Sterio, my Sonos system, and my phone all use internet radio, this gives me the consumer the choice to consume the choices I want in music. 3. Art can not be strictly about making money. Art in it's purest form is an extension of a musicians creativity and these large companies just want us listening to the exact same songs which holds back competition from other smaller artists. 4.They do not have the artists interests in mind, we do. They want to make us listen to music in which they have to pay no or next to no royalties on and it's quite impossible to break into this market.
  21. Tom
    September 27, 2008 at 8:09am
    I called and supported it for Soma FM, but I too would like to know the text (as Rob Napier has asked)
  22. Ashwin
    September 27, 2008 at 10:08am
    Just wrote to my rep. Hope that Pandora is saved. I love this app.
  23. Brinstar
    September 27, 2008 at 10:15am
    I wrote my Congressperson. Best of luck, Pandora! I love your service!
  24. Elena
    September 27, 2008 at 11:08am
    Done!! Go Pandora!
  25. Jeremiah Owyang
    September 27, 2008 at 11:13am
    I just wrote my congresswoman. Hope this helps.
  26. Zach
    September 27, 2008 at 12:35pm
    I'd call, but I live in DC, and we don't have a vote, so I'm with you in spirit. Oh, and I wrote to the NAB and told them to stop being jerks (you know, politely).
  27. Henry
    September 27, 2008 at 12:49pm
    Just sent a message to the PA 8th district. Good luck
  28. Chris D.
    September 27, 2008 at 1:01pm
    Contacted my rep with a concerned letter, keep up the fight!
  29. Aaron Jones
    September 27, 2008 at 1:02pm
    The bill has the support of Oregon's 3rd district
  30. Dave
    September 27, 2008 at 1:05pm
    Just sent my letter. Keep the faith!
  31. Nicolai
    September 27, 2008 at 1:10pm
    in case it's of use to anyone, here's the letter I just sent in (and cc'd to a couple of hundred friends). KEEP the Internet the TRUE reference for Supply/Demand - excluding the intermediate vultures! >
  32. Derek Thorson
    September 27, 2008 at 1:46pm
    Called into Bill Foster's Office (D-IL-14) and let him know to support the bill. Good Luck!
  33. Andrew Barker
    September 27, 2008 at 4:37pm
    Hiya Tim and Crew! As you know I've been an active supporter for a long, long time. I've left two messages and emailed. :) Lets hope this'll do something good.
  34. Jonathan
    September 27, 2008 at 7:29pm
    so much for pandora being a 'global' website. you guys are hanging on by a thread with the NAB trying to take you down. ive been waiting over a year for pandora to come back...obviously its time to accept it and move on.
  35. Kevin
    September 27, 2008 at 8:26pm
    Called and left a message for John Klein of Minnesota, and sent him an email. Pandora has improved my quality of life, I enjoy it deeply. I promote it to my friends. Through it I have found and purchased many new songs. I would miss it deeply if it were to go away. Good luck, and thanks for a wonderful service.
  36. Dylan Brown
    September 27, 2008 at 9:48pm
    Even though I live in the UK, and can't even use your service, I would hate to see you guys get shut down. Well done so far! (Hopfully you'll be OK)I have heard many people speak so much of Pandora, and how great it is, and as I can see here you you obviously have a very large number of fans (me included, even if I can't use your service. I don't think there is anything I can do on my end - but if there is please let me know. (Also, I just wanto get one thing straight, I DO NOT illegally use your service over here in the UK, I support you for the benefit of the massive amount of US uses.) Thanks, Dylan.
  37. Sean Tierney
    September 27, 2008 at 10:04pm
    emailed Ed Pastor of AZ from that site. Also posted on my blog -> http://www.scrollinondubs.com/2008/09/27/save-pandora/ good luck Tim. Just got the 3G iPhone with Pandora App and it crushes Sirius radio. Would pay $10/mo no question for this service. Sean
  38. Scott
    September 28, 2008 at 9:08am
    What's the next step? I'm ready to support Pandora at whatever cost :o)
  39. Gary
    October 01, 2008 at 6:18am
    >> "...the National Association of Broadcasters (NAB), which represents radio broadcasters such as Clear Channel ..." The NAB also represents your local NPR station, Tim. Let's not get so political we lose sight of the objective. But yes, I called my congresspeople in support of Pandora and internet radio.
  40. Christopher Flagg
    October 06, 2008 at 1:16pm
    I have written to Jim Gerlach from that site. Hopefully this will make a difference.
  41. Colin MacMurtrie
    October 12, 2008 at 2:39pm
    I love Pandora. It is one of those genuis ideas just waiting for humanity to enact. I was wondering if you had stock I could buy?
  42. Mrs.Coley
    October 14, 2008 at 10:55pm
    I would just like to say to PANDORA when I first found your station it gave me hope & it even got the spirit of GOD moving down in my soul again .....YOU just don't know how long I have waited for this RADIO station like this I can't hold back the tears .It seems like when I find something on a RADIO STATION I love & hold dear .. You see folks I am a shutin ...I can't get out like some people can because of my legs swell three times there normal size ,I can't go to church so all that I have is my computer I don't look at TV much anymore I love good old SOUTHERN GOSPEL MUSIC it makes me happy when I hear them good old songs ....I now feel that I am at a loss ,I feel I have lost my best friend again .WHY in GODS name do others have the right to take this away from me to ...I feel that my life is about to end for me ...I no longer have my songs to get through the hard days that I suffer . I would like to say farewell my dear friends ...Keep looking up May GOD answer your paryers ...Mine are OVER. Thank you TIM for letting me listen to your STATION ...GOD BLESS YOU ALL.
  43. Lucia @ Pandora
    October 15, 2008 at 11:48am
    Thanks for the comments! @ Colin Thanks so much! We're still a private company, but thanks for the thought! ------------------------------ @ Mrs. Coley Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I'm so glad you've been enjoying Pandora and our gospel music collection. Please don't fret -- Pandora is still doing fine and still playing your radio stations. We continue to negotiate for reasonable royalty rates, but we have every hope that the negotiations will come to a mutually beneficial end point soon. Thanks! - Lucia, with Pandora
  44. Spyware Blockers
    November 11, 2009 at 1:05pm
    I have been reading your posts lately, just want to say thanks for all informative stuff i have found here, helped me learn alot lately. Much Regards, Mark