A couple more verbal answers to commonly asked questions. This week’s topics:
HOW DO WE FIND OUR MUSIC (and how can you suggest music for us to add)?
HOW DOES PANDORA ANALYZE MUSIC?
Please feel free to post any questions you’d like elaborated… we’re all ears!
Cheers. Tim (Founder)
<!– –>

Embed this video:

Download file

Comments

1. thomas.s.clough
    April 15, 2008 at 4:41am
    I KNOW, THAT MUSIC OF ALL KINDS IS GREATLY.. LISTENED TO, BY OUR SERVICE MEMBERS AROUND THE WORLD. A SUGESTION, SEND SOME TYPE OF SAMPLE MIX TO THEM. THIS WOULD GREATLY INCREASE, YOUR LISTENING MARKET AND YOU WOULD GET LOYAL LISTENERS AND VERY LIKELY, THEY WOULD SPREAD THE WORD. MUSIC REACHES ACROSS MANY BARRIERS, THAT NORMALLY CAUSE RESISTANCE. ON THE FLIPSIDE, IT WILL HAVE A PROFOUND IMPACT, ON PEOPLES LIVES.
  2. Stacy
    April 15, 2008 at 11:28am
    GOD BLESS PANDORA RADIO.
  3. Mike
    April 15, 2008 at 12:54pm
    great informative videoblurb Tim... looks like you've avoided the barber since I last saw you. thanks as usual for pandora. sent some marketing ideas sent to Vic.
  4. Jan
    April 15, 2008 at 4:53pm
    Hey there! I'm new to Pandora Radio... and absolutely love it! My genre is the BLUES baby.... nothin' but the BLUEZZZZZ!!! I have created two stations... TAJ MAHAL and POPA CHUBBY; have one of them going all day at work. I live in God's Country... the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. I went to a concert in Wausau, Wisconsin last year and saw Popa.... actually got to sit on his lap for a pic!!! WOWOWOW But, really, guys...this radio concept works and it is awesome. Thanx, from an "'older' only in years" woman that is enjoying the hell outa you.
  5. Tahira
    April 16, 2008 at 9:01am
    There is a new album called Yesterday & Tomorrow with a brilliant version of the Francis Nero Hit Footsteps Follwing Me on it, performed by Deanne Keanne please listen to it on the www.myspace.com/yesterdayandtomorrow and see what you think.
  6. Dusty
    April 16, 2008 at 9:25am
    Why can i listen to the songs that i want along with the similar sounding music?
  7. Lucia @ Pandora
    April 16, 2008 at 12:34pm
    Thanks for the comments! :) Lucia
  8. Cole Stanford
    April 16, 2008 at 2:53pm
    I've been very happily listening to Pandora for almost 6 months now, but lately it seems to routinely have difficulty identifying my next track, and suggests I try another station. It seems like it gets hung up on the new ads running on the side - is there a fix coming for this soon?
  9. Lucia @ Pandora
    April 16, 2008 at 3:21pm
    You should get an email from our Support Team shortly, Cole. :) Lucia
  10. John Dee
    April 16, 2008 at 8:30pm
    I cannot believe there is anything like this available. A music source that plays the type of music that you like. Even the not so mainstream music like Leonard Cohen. I just cannot believe it. I hope you are able to stay on the net. The content and quality is just great. I just cannot believe it.
  11. Cliff
    April 17, 2008 at 9:26am
    I LOVE PANDORA...but I have been wondering about something for a long while: -What if I like the music Pandora plays but I don't like the lyrics/theme? I may "thumbs down" a song based on its inability to satisfy me in terms of a song...although I may want to "thumbs up" the music and "thumbs down" the lyrics/theme. Anyone else thinking along these lines? I am REALLY interested in PANDORA's point of view. GOD BLESS PANDORA!
  12. jon
    April 18, 2008 at 11:42am
    I'm new to pandora, and I like it so far. My old online radio home allowed me to pay for a higher bitrate, which was great and so pandora tracks sound pretty mushy by comparison to that. I'd also like to see some type of community of people who like the same types of music to get their recommendations included. It would interesting to see how the pandora approach to selecting music compares to the preferences approach ("people who liked X also liked Y").
  13. Jessica
    April 18, 2008 at 12:36pm
    Just wanted to say Thank you for everything! Pandora gets me thru the day at work, and has introduced me to so many new artists that I love. Without Pandora's creativity I'd be stuck listening to the same bands! (although I love them) Thank you bunches! Jessica Boston, MA
  14. Lucia @ Pandora
    April 18, 2008 at 12:59pm
    Cliff - Lyrical content is indeed one of the hundreds of traits analyzed in the Music Genome Project, but it is weighted in with many other musical traits, so it can sometimes get obscured. We're interested in giving users more control over specific things they'd like to hear in their playlists. Stay tuned! Meanwhile, here's a suggestion. Try making stations based on a number of individual songs that exemplify the lyrical style you are searching for. Stations based on an artist name will usually cover a broader range as Pandora tries to cover the artist's full range. :) Lucia
  15. Monica Flores
    April 20, 2008 at 7:34am
    Hi there, In January I wanted to create a station "Octavia" which is a Bolivian band. My friend told me I don't think they have it and he was right. Today I just tried it out again and you GOT it! I'm so happy! I'm an Octavia lover. They are an awesome band and I hope more people will discover their wonderful songs. Thank you for the MUSIC! Please stick to the net! Monica
  16. Lucia @ Pandora
    April 22, 2008 at 11:02am
    Thanks Monica! I'm glad we could make you happy by adding Octavia to our collection. :)
  17. Ryan J
    April 23, 2008 at 9:21am
    This is the greatest thing in the entire world
  18. Jared
    April 23, 2008 at 12:32pm
    Pandora seems to have "sold out" recently, playing more bands I hear or heard on FM radio all the time, instead of playing what originally made Pandora great - new & old, relatively undiscovered artists. These were refreshing to hear, especially since the Music Genome Project exposed me to obscure artists that had similar sounds to big name artists I knew. Unfortunately, Pandora sounds like any other radio station out there lately; though I appreciate no commercials and the Music Genome Project's themed playlists, Pandora is less exciting than it was even a year ago. Has Pandora sold out? Here's hoping for more small-time artists on your website. Thanks, Jared
  19. rgerde
    April 23, 2008 at 1:35pm
    I was wondering why a few select songs get cutoff in the middle - some songs are fine and full-length and others are not? Any thoughts?
  20. Gray
    April 23, 2008 at 7:49pm
    I love Pandora Radio. The only problem that I have with it is that lately, I have only been able to get on twice. It will not allow me to connect, citing technical difficulties. It's driving me crazy being without my radio stations.
  21. Buck
    April 24, 2008 at 6:41am
    I really enjoy this service. I don't know if it is feasible, but I had a suggestion: would it be possible to set limits based on the year? While most of my stations are pretty open, I have some that are specifically linked to a time period, such as New Wave. While I like hearing more obscure examples from the era, I keep having to thumbs-down songs from the last 10 years. Thank you for Pandora.
  22. Lucia @ Pandora
    April 24, 2008 at 1:43pm
    Ryan - Thanks so much! rgarde and Gray - I'll have our Support team (pandora-support [at] pandora.com) contact you. Jared - I'll have Support contact you to help you with your stations and make them less homogeneous. Rest assured, we haven't sold out; we continue to collect and stream the music of "small-time" artists. About 70% of our collection is made up of musicians who are *not* on major labels. Buck - The year a song was recorded is indeed taken into account, but it's mixed in with more musicological traits, so it can sometimes get obscured. Starting a station from songs that fit your sound and year criteria will be better than starting a station from artist names. (Because the artist might have a career spanning more than one decade, and you'll get song matches based on *all* their songs, not just the era you had in mind.) We also do hope to give listeners more control over their stations in the future. But for now, giving thumbs downs to songs that don't fit into your preferred time period is a good way to "tune" the station. Cheers! Lucia
  23. Rin8
    April 27, 2008 at 1:59pm
    Pandora is nice, and I have found some new music I like, but for me, it's mostly the voice of the singer that decides whether I like a song or not, and I keep thumb-downing songs because I don't like the singer's voice, even if I like the music.
  24. Michael Sackett
    April 27, 2008 at 2:14pm
    How do I set up a station which would feature songs from movies and Broadway plays? I'd like one that has both original recordings and "covers" of some of those songs. Thanks. Mike
  25. Lucia @ Pandora
    April 28, 2008 at 4:15pm
    Hi Mike - To make a soundtrack station, you have to use artist names or song names... There's some soundtrack station we've made here: http://www.pandora.com/people/genrestations2#tbl_stations_table,all In terms of Broadway songs, Pandora doesn't contain much at this time. We're building up a catalog of this style of music. We will release these songs all together, once there are enough songs in the collection to make sufficiently interesting stations. It will take a while, but we have every intention of providing the same quality of listening and discovery experience for Broadway music as we do for other types of music currently! :) Lucia
  26. connie
    May 05, 2008 at 10:53pm
    This is an awesome website! But how do you get funded?
  27. Lucia @ Pandora
    May 06, 2008 at 3:25pm
    Hi Connie - Pandora makes money from the advertisements placed on our site and from listeners who pay to subscribe to our ad-free version. We also get a small commission when our listeners click through from Pandora to buy music from iTunes and Amazon. Thanks! Lucia
  28. Misty
    May 08, 2008 at 4:34pm
    I love this site! I actually found it one day while I was bored at work. It has helped me to make it thru many days! Now I have it set up at home and loving it all the time. Thanks so much!
  29. Lucia @ Pandora
    May 09, 2008 at 5:51pm
    Hey, thanks Misty! :)
  30. sarah
    June 16, 2009 at 5:14pm
    I love pandora! but i just have two questions. now, they not really a problem or consearn, but i was just thinking is there any way that u can listen to songs again? Now for my last question... do you know any celebrties that use pandora? It's really not any of my bussness but it would be fun to know. always a pandora listener, sarah
  31. Etienne @ Pandora
    June 16, 2009 at 11:13pm
    Hi Sarah Pandora is licensed as a radio service. Among other things, that means we can't play a specific song right when you ask for it. That means you'll have to keep listening to hear that song again. You can increase the chance this will happen a little bit by giving that song a thumb up. We can't answer that other question - all we get are email addresses and those are private. There are almost 30 million people registered with Pandora. It's not hard to imagine we have a few celebrities in there.