Hey all – happy new year!
Last year we talked a lot about things like what we think music might be, what it is like to listen to music, how we think music works, whether there’s any way to determine whether one piece of music is better than another, and so on. Let’s call it musical aesthetics….
We also talked about our favorite music books, specific musical discoveries we’ve made, our musical histories, and the like. Call that comparing notes….
And last but not least, we talked about Pandora-related things like what happens when something doesn’t “fit” on a station, how you use Pandora in your everyday life, and so on.
What do you think about this list of subjects? What, if anything, would you want to add to it? What would you like to discuss with me and with your fellow listeners? What answers, or questions, do you think we can track down?
Share your thoughts, and I’ll keep a list and make sure the weekly posts make periodic contact with our collective interests.
Right on. Here’s looking forward to discovering a lot of music and about music in the ’08.

1. Tom Craver
    January 07, 2008 at 9:44pm
    Just a thought - when I get a channel really "tuned tight", I can get song after song that I've previously given a thumbs up. Which is great. But... But sometimes I'd like it if there were a button that meant "I really like what I'm listening to - but right now I'd like to hear something fresh, maybe a little different - just not so different as to make me regret clicking the button." Call it a "Freshen My Mix" button - a way to experiment a little, when I'm in the mood.
  2. Karen Francis
    January 08, 2008 at 2:33am
    I received the bad news in my INBOX this morning. Pandora will be lost to me and to everyone in the UK in just 8 days. I am so upset - I can't really say how much because it would seem ridiculous and perhaps out of proportion to the loss of a website! Let me explain... In my workplace, I sit for hours every day and read scientific papers on breast cancer, extracting data and appraising the content for quality. It's a hard job because I have to concentrate for such long periods of time and not miss anything important in what I read - this has become so much more do-able since I found Pandora - I listen to it all day - it really has become important to me and now it's going and I'm gutted. Yes, I know I could just listen to a CD but the fact that I don't know what I'm going to hear next makes it 'live' and so always new. I have found many new artists through Pandora and have bought tracks through the link to ITunes. What a wonderful breath of fresh air this concept was. I understand the reasoning behind its closure to us in the UK and elsewhere outside of America but it's so frustratingly short-sighted and, as always in our modern world, all about MONEY. Shame on you people. Thanks to you, Tim, and all who tried so hard to make this work. I hope that one day it will all come back. With respect and best wishes. Dr Karen Francis UK
  3. Djphil
    January 08, 2008 at 9:40am
    I love Pandora! It is just perfect for me. My question, will there ever be a wireless vesion of Pandora. Kind of like the new Sirrus hand-held. I would go nuts to be able to play Pandora anywhere!! Especially in my car!!!
  4. Julie
    January 08, 2008 at 10:30am
    I love the Grey's Anatomy and Private Practice stations. Great idea! Requests: CW's Gossip Girl channel as well as an MTV's The Hills channel. They have great music on these shows too. Thanks for doing what you do!
  5. turbo54
    January 08, 2008 at 11:41am
    The new feature artist/album feature gives a paragraph of info and there's a "More" link, but when I click on it nothing happens. How come? I rely on the expanded bio's for finding new facts.
  6. Nik
    January 08, 2008 at 2:25pm
    I'm pretty new here and maybe I just haven't found it yet, but I'd like the ability to exclude specific artists from my station. For example: I created a station with the artist Disturbed. I soon got a song by Trapt. I personally don't like the singer from Trapt so I'd like to not hear any of their songs. If I could exclude the artist as a whole instead of song by song as they come up I think it would add a level of convenience not (apparently) available now. If I'm wrong and this is a function of the service you can totally write this off as crazy babble. Other than this I love your site so far.
  7. Carl N.
    January 08, 2008 at 4:32pm
    The words to express may gratitude for Pandora have yet to be penned. I had built an adaptive matrix for my music server which compares 27 parameters and learns by rejection or approval how to edit the matrix. I don't like to waste horsepower on eye candy so the GUI is simple and easy The reality of loading the drives have proved most challenging, I have about three years worth of obscure vinyl left to transfer and fix with pro tracks, and thats transferring @ 45 rpm and fixing the file on the drive, horribly unnatural but effective and without compromise in quality. This morning a friend showed me your site, it's already loaded, the artists are being compensated, your adaptive matrix is as good if not better than mine. WIN WIN Thank you! Great, I can enjoy music tailored to my esoteric tweaks and go back to being an aspiring Linux geek. If I can help the project in any way don't hesitate to e mail. Thanks Again! hd2b/27b-6/docs/corr/pandora1.odt
  8. cesar
    January 08, 2008 at 10:47pm
    Hi all, i used to listen Pandora almos 24, but since it was turned off for the rest of the world (expet for the USA) my life is been in ruins... I am now living in Israel and i just wnat to know if there is someone who knows when Pandora will be playing back in here. Please somebody answer me and please, PANDORA STUFF, make a huge effor, i miss you!
  9. merd
    January 08, 2008 at 10:57pm
    i noticed that the same songs are played by the same artists in the same order. i need more randomization with more variety... meaning play artist A track 3 off album 2 then artist B track 7 off album 4 this time i play the station... but next time i play the station i want to hear the same styles but dont want to start out with those same tracks in the same order. throw those tracks back into the playlist, however randomize their appearance MUCH later on in the rotation noting that while i logged on to play, i have already listened to those cuts. don't make it like a radio so much as a music database. OR... maybe give users the ability to CHOOSE 'yes' i like to hear songs repeat more often or 'no' i would not like to hear the same song again soon, please provide more depth and library. i would like to see this site, a youtubelike video component and combine efforts to make this sort of online experience the new wave of portable artistry. screw sirius radio. help me make this my mobile- take it everywhere solution. community driven, user defined and contributed, music and video collaboration and celebration.
  10. Ben C
    January 09, 2008 at 4:48am
    I just wanted to say how annoyed I am at whoever in the British music industry has made you stop UK listeners use your service. I was devistated to hear the news and wanted to thank you for all the hours of entertainment, and hundreds of new artists you've introduced me to. Its been a blast, I just hope they change there mind sometime soon...

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )