plr_header_blue.gif
Hey all – happy new year!
Last year we talked a lot about things like what we think music might be, what it is like to listen to music, how we think music works, whether there’s any way to determine whether one piece of music is better than another, and so on. Let’s call it musical aesthetics….
We also talked about our favorite music books, specific musical discoveries we’ve made, our musical histories, and the like. Call that comparing notes….
And last but not least, we talked about Pandora-related things like what happens when something doesn’t “fit” on a station, how you use Pandora in your everyday life, and so on.
What do you think about this list of subjects? What, if anything, would you want to add to it? What would you like to discuss with me and with your fellow listeners? What answers, or questions, do you think we can track down?
Share your thoughts, and I’ll keep a list and make sure the weekly posts make periodic contact with our collective interests.
Right on. Here’s looking forward to discovering a lot of music and about music in the ’08.
listening,
mz

Comments

1. legbamel
    January 21, 2008 at 1:42pm
    I have a couple of suggestions, although I love the way things come together if you're willing to listen to and rate a lot of music. First, if you thumb up a song it would handy to have a way to seed it without having to search for it. A button or checkbox on the station page would make that easy. Second, is there a way to suggest or request a particular album by an artist? One of my favorite albums ever is missing, even though there are 6 or 8 by the artist listed here. Thanks for providing such a fantastic service. I hope that you can return to sharing with the world soon. In the meantime, I'll be listening.
  2. JCZgirl
    January 22, 2008 at 10:09am
    Is there any Ol' Schoolers out there, who still love Ol' School Jams? Such as Earth, Wind and Fire, Bootsie Collins, Gerald Levert, Barry White. The list goes on. If so, send me some suggestions or a link to: JCZgirl[AT]fuse.net or send me something at my pandora radio site. And let's not forget, even though they are not ol school, Jamie Foxx, Usher, Beyounce, Toni Braxton and Whitney Houston. Thanks
  3. Rockindj
    January 22, 2008 at 10:38am
    I find more often then not not only are my favorite artist not played most of the music that is played are songs by artist I have never heard of. Why doesn't Pandora focus on the hit's and artist we grew up with?
  4. daniel
    January 22, 2008 at 8:37pm
    Just discovered Pandora recently and really enjoy it! I'd like to offer the suggestion to include an easier way to share a station with a bookmarked friend, like a second slide-out with each bookmarked friend listed or something other than having to enter the email address (many of which I'd have to go look up) and having to do it in a second window. Other than that, this site rocks. Thanks!
  5. Mister Basmt
    January 23, 2008 at 9:32am
    I have another topic for discussion in 2008, though you might have covered it already. Here goes: If you were in a movie, what would be your theme music be? What song would they play every time you came on screen?
  6. zach caughill
    January 23, 2008 at 2:09pm
    not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I would like to suggest an album be added to the pandora archives and don't know how to do that... anyway, the album is "Infinite" by Eminem. If there is a better place to direct this please let me know.
  7. anna layne
    January 23, 2008 at 4:37pm
    You never play what I ask for, only similarities. Today I asked for John Denver and got every one but him. So I will stop wasting my time with you because there ARE others. Anna Layne.
  8. Valorie
    January 24, 2008 at 7:45am
    How could we support underground/independent artist more as a community.
  9. alicek
    January 24, 2008 at 6:53pm
    I'd like to hear more of the artist I specified. For instance - if I choose Sting, I'd like to hear LOTS of Sting along with similar artists. I'd also like a way to choose more acoustic versions and live versions, or more electric or jazz. For instance, I put in Joni Mitchell and ended up with lots of 1960's folk music, which was fine, but I was expecting more of her later jazz-inspired music... Thanks for this GREAT web site. I am really enjoying the music!
  10. basil_staghare
    January 25, 2008 at 4:42pm
    I think Celtic music would make a nice sub-genre...
  11. marsha
    January 25, 2008 at 4:43pm
    while listening 2 pandora for some reson some songs start and skip to the next song something needs 2 be done about that
  12. Jimmy Waters
    January 25, 2008 at 7:28pm
    I like listening to music on Pandora, but I agree that somehow the "seed" need some additional tweaking. For examp[le, I created a "gospel" station and seeded it with ALL gospel songs. The station continues to pick out non-gospel songs. While the songs played are good, that's not what I created the station for. Someone mentioned seeding the station with an album. What about a "keyword" also. If I could identify the "keyword" "gospel" with my station, then that would seem to be a part of the genome. Multiple standard keywords that the user could select to further refine what is wanted seems to be a solution to help everyone ensure that the stations they create would play only the music they want to hear, with less "thumbs down". Even with "thumbs down" it took a long time on my "gospel" station to stop the playing of other types of music, and some still are played. I know I have the option of moving songs played to another station, but that too can be time consuming when all I want to do is relax and enjoy the music. Keep up the good work!
  13. Loredo
    January 26, 2008 at 12:46pm
    Hey what about WORLD MUSIC? What about a durmming-only channel? Banhgra from India/NYC? Etc.
  14. RODERICKHOUGH
    January 27, 2008 at 12:43pm
    YOU HAVE KNOW IDEA REALLY WHAT YOU HAVE CREATEDSOONER OR LATER YOU WILL DESTROY THE PLASTIC TAPE AND RECORD PORTION OF THE INDUSTRY. WHAT I MEAN BY THIS IS WHY SHOULD I BY RECORDS AND TAPES WHEN I CAN RECORD IT STRAIGHT OFF PANDORA BASICLY ANY MUSIC I WANT. IAM SURE YOU UNDERSTAND. BUT IAM SURE YOU ALL READY KNEW THAT.
  15. Amy
    January 27, 2008 at 6:06pm
    I just discovered this site. I am enjoying it so much! Great job!
  16. Aaron8012
    January 28, 2008 at 8:17am
    I agree with some of these comments. I would really like to see more music from around the world. Even Indonesian Speed Metal or that sort of stuff. I am currently listening to Philip Glass and composers like him, and I love this program. But, I couldn't find much variety outside of Western music styles. Good luck and thank you.
  17. Juli Walters
    January 28, 2008 at 4:53pm
    Words can't describe how much I enjoy and appreciate Pandora. I'm not a music superfreak, but I know what I like, and now I can enjoy it all the time, without the ridiculous cost!! Thank you Pandora. I'm passing the word, as fast as I can. Thanks
  18. pandora matalima
    January 29, 2008 at 4:45pm
    well any you dont know me but i have to say is good luck and good jod
  19. Roland
    January 29, 2008 at 11:03pm
    I cant get enough you guys.Two years going strong, I really think you guys are close to perfect. Thats a serious compliment coming from a man that beieves nothing is perfect. But check it out. I sport my Pandora cap and because I look so good in it I get some people mostly women asking me "What is Pandora?" I recruit that like that. Thats okay you dont have to pay me any commision. LOL Anyway, I think a thread page for listeners would be very cool. Also for our profiles a place to upload a photo or design a membership card that express us . Like they have on the web site for Zune.
  20. t wild
    February 01, 2008 at 3:40pm
    love your site. after two weeks I thought, Great I'm gonna go broke to itunes now. After two years of listening I can't seem to get ahead of the new music I've been exposed to. I had one quick question however, any plans on getting pandora on ipod touch??? I'm sure apple would hate it.
  21. Ardy
    March 14, 2008 at 7:48pm
    Love the site and promote it as much as I can. One thing that would be amazing is if your site develops a persian station. It would add diversity and I am sure many will utilize it to its full potential. Keep up the good work!!
  22. Lonnie VanZandt
    March 27, 2009 at 11:48am
    Two wish items: 1. a toggle for Instrumental only (or perhaps more generally a filter on instruments used in the song with "voice" being only one of many) 2. Pandora for WM6 on HTC 75xx devices. The existing WM6 PPC cab plays fine but its graphics are screwy. (I listen to Pandora on my HTC 7510x plugged into the car stereo while commuting 50 miles across Denver. It is like user-tailored XM!)
  23. chris
    January 05, 2013 at 9:54pm
    i really think you guys should have "jaye" music.. albums fly mob,space odesy,and mr.rager and the smoker
  24. John Angel
    June 25, 2013 at 7:24pm
    look, all i have to say is you all at Pandora im sure you wont read this but FYI your system takes 20 min between songs for advertisements. next i have skipped a few songs then your message says only so many every hour, well its been way over 1 hour and still i have to listen to what i do not want to and commercials, ok. with that said work on it. support the artist not the industry. this coming from an artist. people want music hence why they use this app and site. fix this soon i hope or i and hundreds of my fans listeners and musician friends will be gone. along with those who are fans and friends of other artist i know! thanks i have loved Pandora till i heard more commercials than music.
  25. Ruben
    December 12, 2013 at 9:42am
    how about to be able to put an app on the screen when using the computer click and drag is an old way to do it, or placing the link in bookmarks lets make it easier I think Pandora is better than Spotify I have try them an as an old time user of Pandora you are superior on the ease of searching and listing the stations lets make it better How about a synthesizer to control an get better quality
  26. mic
    May 16, 2015 at 3:35pm
    Pandora songs can last the whole song.....as for a dependable streaming site Pandora sucks....im tired of being let down so I listen to Spotify and aol radio now.....

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )