UPDATE: July 10, 2008. We see from the comments that many of you want Pandora on the iPhone. It’s available now — enjoy!

Lots swirling around in the blogosphere today after our Pandora Everywhere announcements last night. The one element of last night’s event that I didn’t blog about here is the prototype connected media player we showed at the end of the night.
There’s been some confusion about just what we showed last night and I thought I’d post a couple of photos and give you the direct scoop.
Here’s roughly what I said at the event:

“Looking into the crystal ball a bit, there are two changes on the horizon that we’re really excited about and those are Muni WiFi which has the potential to bring ubiquitous WiFi coverage to urban centers and WiMax which has the potential to blanket the country in a high speed network that you can access at 60 miles per hour in the middle of nowhere. While these technologies aren’t here today, they are fast approaching — Sprint alone is making a billion dollar investment in WiMax services.
One of the most interesting startups in the bay area right now is a company called Zing. They’re building a really cool platform that enables WiFi connected media players. They’re the company behind the new WiFi-connected Sansa Connect media player.
Three weeks ago when we started preparing for tonight, I called the team at Zing and asked if they’d be willing to take the Pandora Everywhere Platform and work with us to quickly develop a technology demo of Pandora running on a WiFi connected device. Here we are three weeks later and I’ve got something very cool to show you.
This is a handmade prototype of a WiFi connect Pandora media player. I should caution at this point that this is a tech demo only — there are lots of things that need to fall into place before something like this could be brought to market, not the least of which is we need ubiquitous WiFi access.
The really cool things about this prototype is that it was just three weeks in the making. the Pandora Everywhere Platform is going to let us bring Pandora to all kinds of places that you just can’t reach with a website alone.”

Some important things to note about all of this:

• It was just a technology demo; it really wasn’t a product announcement
  • It was built by Zing and Pandora – SanDisk wasn’t involved in any way
  • Pandora has no plans to bring a Pandora-specific device to market

I’m not being coy here. This isn’t a “wink-wink-nudge-nudge it was just a demo” kind of thing. It really was just a demo. We’re excited to find out where this may lead, but it’s still very early days. As I said last night, this all came together just 3 weeks ago. We’re certainly not desperately racing off to do direct battle with the iPod. As has been observed in other quarters, that would be a strategy to approach with great caution.
As cool as the Zing/Pandora demo is, the real news last night was Pandora for Sprint and Pandora for Sonos. Both are available now and are quite real.
device.png

Comments

1. Joseph DeVore
    February 23, 2008 at 11:08pm
    iPhone += 1 If Pandora peeps are reading these posts as votes, I'd be stoked on an iPhone version as well.
  2. Jake
    March 06, 2008 at 1:46pm
    One more for Pandora via iPhone!!
  3. travis
    March 11, 2008 at 12:49am
    +1 more for Pandora on iPhone!!!!!
  4. Brian Rubin
    March 12, 2008 at 11:40am
    Heck, if Pandora made its way to the iPhone, I'd switch services and buy one just for that. BRING IT ON! :)
  5. mike
    March 14, 2008 at 6:37pm
    YES, Iphone compatibilty with pandora = the meaning of life...
  6. Adam
    March 17, 2008 at 3:30pm
    Pandora on iPhone! I believe!
  7. ash
    March 19, 2008 at 8:50am
    i have a jailbroken iphone, is there an app for pandora using wifi ?
  8. cheryll
    March 23, 2008 at 4:40am
    I've been listening to Pandora for over a year or so and I would definitely pay for a subscription to Pandora to hear it over my iPhone. I don't listen to normal radio any more, usually hate the radio personalities too much. The only time I'm not Wi-Fi enabled is when I'm between point A and B, so if it did get on the iPhone, I would hope there was a very good buffering system (a dozen songs or more maybe?) to help out when relying purely on the Edge network. Would also be awesome if the advance-click on earphones that come with the iPhone could be used for thumbing up/down.
  9. Sir Ace
    March 23, 2008 at 6:53pm
    Add me on for Pandora on iPhone. I Can't WAIT to have this ported over.
  10. alex
    March 26, 2008 at 5:03pm
    Iphone +1
  11. kyle Murphey
    April 02, 2008 at 9:44am
    I would LOVE a pandora iPhone app, and now with the native development kit that Apple has released it seems like it would be pretty easy to create a Pandora app. I already have a last.fm hacked app, but would love an official Pandora app.
  12. Peter
    April 05, 2008 at 9:29am
    +1 vote for Pandora on the iPhone. From a marketing/advertising perspective (my profession), if Pandora is charging per page impression/or per click for their ads, enabling a iPhone version of Pandora would greatly increase total revenues and would pay for itself without a subscription based service that others suggested. 14 million iPhones will have been sold by the end of 2008. That means there could be 14 million potential Pandora subscribers across the globe (if licensing restrictions evolve). Besides the sheer fact that the masses are requesting it, it makes sense from a financial fiscal perspective. Wake up Pandora! This is your call to action. Apple may be dragging its feet in developing iPhones that support flash, however this doesn't mean you should neglect the opportunity to develop an iPhone only non-flash version of Pandora.
  13. saphyre
    April 22, 2008 at 10:52am
    +1 for iPhone Can't stream music @ work due to network restrix, so app for iPhone would make my millenium! Pleeeeeeze!!
  14. Alex Baeza
    April 24, 2008 at 10:53am
    Im one of those network admins that places restrictions on pandora (sorry guys). It would be great to have an iPhone app. It would also be great to have some type of proxy service that I can setup to help reduce bandwidth and argue for turning this great service back on.
  15. phyl
    April 30, 2008 at 8:31am
    i gotta through my lot in for iphone support. im not sure if apple would allow it cuz there high strung about all this crap but pandora on the iphone would totally rock
  16. ars3n
    May 09, 2008 at 3:10pm
    I just googled on Pandora iPhone. I would love to have this! Pandora, please see the demand for this and make history!!!!
  17. ajprius
    May 14, 2008 at 12:18pm
    PANDORA ON iPHONE PLEASE!!!!
  18. Sean
    May 22, 2008 at 10:58am
    I would like to join support to the iPhone voices. Part of the reason I have an iPhone is because I won't carry more devices. iPhone is my music, phone, datebook, internet, everything in one. And the brilliantly easy to use and ever-increasing number of developers who are creating iPhone specific software shows how easy and brilliant the product is. There is already a close cousin of Pandora on iPhone with a web-based application, AccuRadio, which is somewhat customizeable and such. What I'm seeing here though, Pandora is even better! But alas, the flash thing is still a stumbling block for iPhone. But what would be better is if Pandora accessed Apple's Software Development Program, which gives you the stuff you need to create an iPhone specific application that you can charge to download and use if you needed. Although I might be willing to pay a nominal fee for usage, yeah, a $45 subscription service is way out of the question.
  19. Ben
    May 23, 2008 at 7:20am
    Another vote for pandora and the iPhone. Is June 9th too soon?
  20. Austin c
    June 01, 2008 at 1:51am
    Pandora on the iPhone is a great idea! I would pay as well.
  21. Jay D
    June 05, 2008 at 12:33pm
    I would LOVE to see an iPhone and Pandora mesh... my iPhone neeeeds it.
  22. wassup
    June 17, 2008 at 5:20pm
    I wonder if Pandora things making it available on Iphone takes away some of the incentive to buy songs. I'd pay $5 a month, more than they're making off the zero songs I've bought. ;)
  23. Kitty
    June 24, 2008 at 11:37pm
    I do not like iPods. I don't like the fact that using one would require me to convert my entire digital music library to Apple's proprietary file format, and to use their clunky media player/music service. I do not like AT&T. Everyone I've spoken to who has used their service has had very little good to say about them, and their network's coverage is piss-poor in my home town. I love Pandora. I've found more great music through Pandora in the last year than I had previously found throughout my entire life without it. Those things in mind, if Pandora were to port its service to the iPhone (or even better, to the iPod Touch), I would relent my predisposition, convert my music to Apple's format, break down, and buy it. It's simply to amazing a prospect to pass up. Hell, I would consider buying an iPhone or iPod Touch for the implicit purpose of using Pandora and nothing else, continuing to use my previous cell phone or MP3 player, respectively. Pandora really means that much to me, and to be able to take it mobile would make my digital music life, as I'm sure it would for many, many others.
  24. bradrogersau
    June 25, 2008 at 6:12pm
    I'm about to sign up for a subscription to Pandora...getting a Squeezbox. Would love to have the greatest thing that's happened to music in this decade on my iPhone. Put me down for Pandora iPhone interface. I'd even pay for the app on the new apple app store!
  25. ia
    June 26, 2008 at 3:13pm
    +100 for pandora on iPhone!!!!! Please!!!
  26. Graham Kaplan
    June 30, 2008 at 9:56pm
    Really hope you're working on Pandora for the iPhone! Last.fm is!
  27. Sullivan
    July 01, 2008 at 7:21am
    Pandora is sick. I love it. But here I am, technilogically inept and am wondering, is the reason Pandora doesn't work on the iPod touch/iPhone because regular WiFi won't support it? Why is that? Thanks for acting on an awesome idea and creating an awesome site. Love always.
  28. joe
    July 02, 2008 at 5:41pm
    IPHONE
  29. Greg
    July 03, 2008 at 3:38pm
    definitely need pandora for the iphone. you got my vote.
  30. Brett
    July 07, 2008 at 3:13pm
    Doubt you will get pandora on the iPhone(For free that is), with the unlimited data plan AT&T will see a loss of revenue some how...
  31. Rusty Jennings
    July 07, 2008 at 5:20pm
    iPhone Pandora application - yes, yes yes!
  32. Dave
    July 10, 2008 at 8:48am
    Pandora for iPhone in AppStore! and it's free! You may need up get the latest iTunes (7.7) released last night. To find the AppStore, just search for Pandora Media. There is no link to the AppStore from the front page yet (probably later today or tomorrow when the 2.0 firmware is officially released).
  33. John
    August 14, 2008 at 7:15am
    Yes, please consider supporting the Nokia S60 for use with Pandora. I have a Nokia e90, an S60 device which uses the Apple Safari browser, has 3G support, and Flash Lite 3. Thanks!
  34. Jon
    September 12, 2008 at 5:38pm
    i know it has been said, but S60 platform support would be GREAT.
  35. Nmitz
    October 30, 2008 at 10:27pm
    Just another comment requesting a Pandora App for s60... Another request can't hurt, right?
  36. Bobby Walker
    January 14, 2009 at 6:43am
    I second the symbian request. I have an unlocked N95 8gb and am waiting for a symbian client for the mobile before buying a subscription.
  37. Dave
    February 17, 2009 at 9:12am
    Pandora for the S60!
  38. Jesse Shadel
    February 18, 2009 at 8:22am
    X-BOX 360 + PANDORA !!! X-BOX 360 + PANDORA !!! X-BOX 360 + PANDORA !!! X-BOX 360 + PANDORA !!!X-BOX 360 + PANDORA !!! X-BOX 360 + PANDORA !!!X-BOX 360 + PANDORA !!!X-BOX 360 + PANDORA !!!X-BOX 360 + PANDORA !!!X-BOX 360 + PANDORA !!!X-BOX 360 + PANDORA !!!X-BOX 360 + PANDORA !!!X-BOX 360 + PANDORA !!!X-BOX 360 + PANDORA !!!X-BOX 360 + PANDORA !!!X-BOX 360 + PANDORA !!!X-BOX 360 + PANDORA !!!X-BOX 360 + PANDORA !!!X-BOX 360 + PANDORA !!!X-BOX 360 + PANDORA !!!
  39. ethan
    April 15, 2009 at 11:34am
    I cant wait for this. Ive been waiting for this because i dont want to waste my money on an expensive phone to run pandora on when its just gonna get dropped and broken sooner or later. I know its just a prototype but WHERE AND WHEN CAN I GET ONE?!?!
  40. Gorilla800lbs
    April 29, 2009 at 2:03pm
    Another humble request for Pandora on Symbian here.
  41. John
    April 30, 2009 at 11:35am
    Pandora team: Is there any update on Pandora for Symbian so I can run it on my E71?
  42. Nadia
    May 16, 2009 at 2:29pm
    I too would love to have Pandora on my E71 as I'm sure so many others with Symbian would. I really hope it happens soon.
  43. Tommy
    June 01, 2009 at 6:24pm
    One more request for Pandora on Symbian s60 v3. I've got a new e71x and I've resorted to the Nokia Internet Radio app instead of the Pandora that I enjoy in my office. Please make a player for my Nokia E71x. Thanks, Tommy
  44. Juan
    August 11, 2009 at 12:47am
    Seriously, what's the pandora team waiting for to come up with a symbian compatible version? Do I have to buy a crappy Iphone or crackberry to be able to listen to pandora on the go? Please
  45. Adam
    August 11, 2009 at 10:51am
    I have to put another word in, even though no one may be listening; where is the symbian compatible version? We would like an .sis file but we can run java
  46. aaron
    August 16, 2009 at 9:56am
    Please produce a Symbian app! I'd be happy to pay for it. Thanks!
  47. Nic
    September 01, 2009 at 4:35pm
    Another vote for Symbian app. Already have it for Palm Pre which has been out for how long? S60v3 has been around since 2005. webOS for the Pre has only been announced since January 2009. The SDK Mojo came in July. Understand probably getting paid by those big names, but you'll get more users by making a Symbian App
  48. akanealw
    September 05, 2009 at 9:07pm
    pls, pandora for symbian s60v3!
  49. Putko
    December 05, 2009 at 9:26am
    Yeah, we need Pandora for Symbian. Nokia always made the best music phones, and they use Symbian. Thanks
  50. Anonymous
    December 22, 2009 at 12:26am
    Sansa Connect! Revive it with your musical goodness. I just bought one and would love to use Pandora on it! 12/22/09

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )