UPDATE: July 10, 2008. We see from the comments that many of you want Pandora on the iPhone. It’s available now — enjoy!

Lots swirling around in the blogosphere today after our Pandora Everywhere announcements last night. The one element of last night’s event that I didn’t blog about here is the prototype connected media player we showed at the end of the night.
There’s been some confusion about just what we showed last night and I thought I’d post a couple of photos and give you the direct scoop.
Here’s roughly what I said at the event:

“Looking into the crystal ball a bit, there are two changes on the horizon that we’re really excited about and those are Muni WiFi which has the potential to bring ubiquitous WiFi coverage to urban centers and WiMax which has the potential to blanket the country in a high speed network that you can access at 60 miles per hour in the middle of nowhere. While these technologies aren’t here today, they are fast approaching — Sprint alone is making a billion dollar investment in WiMax services.
One of the most interesting startups in the bay area right now is a company called Zing. They’re building a really cool platform that enables WiFi connected media players. They’re the company behind the new WiFi-connected Sansa Connect media player.
Three weeks ago when we started preparing for tonight, I called the team at Zing and asked if they’d be willing to take the Pandora Everywhere Platform and work with us to quickly develop a technology demo of Pandora running on a WiFi connected device. Here we are three weeks later and I’ve got something very cool to show you.
This is a handmade prototype of a WiFi connect Pandora media player. I should caution at this point that this is a tech demo only — there are lots of things that need to fall into place before something like this could be brought to market, not the least of which is we need ubiquitous WiFi access.
The really cool things about this prototype is that it was just three weeks in the making. the Pandora Everywhere Platform is going to let us bring Pandora to all kinds of places that you just can’t reach with a website alone.”

Some important things to note about all of this:

• It was just a technology demo; it really wasn’t a product announcement
  • It was built by Zing and Pandora – SanDisk wasn’t involved in any way
  • Pandora has no plans to bring a Pandora-specific device to market

I’m not being coy here. This isn’t a “wink-wink-nudge-nudge it was just a demo” kind of thing. It really was just a demo. We’re excited to find out where this may lead, but it’s still very early days. As I said last night, this all came together just 3 weeks ago. We’re certainly not desperately racing off to do direct battle with the iPod. As has been observed in other quarters, that would be a strategy to approach with great caution.
As cool as the Zing/Pandora demo is, the real news last night was Pandora for Sprint and Pandora for Sonos. Both are available now and are quite real.
device.png

Comments

1. Tom Conrad
    May 25, 2007 at 6:25pm
    We're interested in bringing Pandora to all the places you want it to be. Thanks for letting us know you'd like to see it on S60/Symbian/Zune. Tom CTO @ Pandora
  2. court
    May 25, 2007 at 7:42pm
    when I first found Pandora I was ecstatic. It's a sound track for life! But what I want it for most is to be able to use it in the field (land surveying). I'm not interested in paying 45$ a month to sprint just for mobile Pandora but I'd be happy to pay around half that for a portable that does nothing but receive my Pandora stations(what this prototype seems to be). here's to the future! -Courto
  3. Jim
    May 26, 2007 at 4:46am
    I was very excited when the news of your "technology demo" hit the web. Now I'm disappointed to hear that you have no plans to develop the product. I am desperately looking for a way to get out of XM radio. My music service of choice is definitely Pandora. The problem with your big announcement is that a lot of us carry cell phones supplied by our employers and they are not going to foot the bill for our "on the go" music fix. I urge you to develop a player similar to the forthcoming Slacker but without the satellite feed. If you just give me a few gig to store music on until I'm back in range of a Wifi connection, I'll be happy. Unfortunately, if Slacker beats you to the market by very much, I'll be forced to settle for that. And once I've committed to the player, I will be reluctant to change services. I sent an email to your support email address and told them, I'll gladly give you the $13/month I'm now giving XM.
  4. F
    May 26, 2007 at 1:29pm
    Everywhere, eh... howabout on Facebook next? This'd do nicely and it's already got a matching color scheme: http://www.pandora.com/feeds I can't afford gadgetry, but am glad Pandora's going there (instead of, say, caving in under fees).
  5. Oliver
    May 27, 2007 at 3:33am
    Have you looked into the licensing last.fm uses for streaming all over the world? Their stations are less sophisticated than Pandora's, but the idea behind is still the same. Since I believe, they are not streaming illegally to Germany or other countries, you might want to contact them and ask them about the leagal issues in order to bring you back online worldwide.
  6. Margaret
    May 28, 2007 at 2:00pm
    I just want to say that I think that the Vaseline ad is just so gross! I hate looking at that texture. Eeeeeeeeeeeew! Please get rid of that horrible brown texture. Everything else about Pandora is great. Thank you.
  7. anthony
    May 29, 2007 at 11:00am
    I just wanted to let you know how much I appreciate Pandora Radio. I listen to it everyday at work. I was wondering if there are certain bands that we like, and that might not be available on Pandora yet, if there was a way that we would beable to let you guys know, so that you might be able to add it to your archive. Thanks ~A
  8. Jeanne
    June 02, 2007 at 11:44am
    This totally takes the cake as far as websurfing tuones... Using my computer drives to store the libraries killed its performance-- now I can travel on w/o laggin or cluttering my drives. It is so easy to use and fills in those missing jams I've been missing (& give inner chuckle as the songs take me back when.....) "yeah!" Funny how a set of notes and melody can completely change yer whole mood and take you miles from where u were b4 w/o even leavin yer chair. Thanx, God Bless!
  9. willian
    June 04, 2007 at 3:49am
    Very Goooood! it would be great :) But for example, i'm from Brazil if i buy it (ok, i know its just a demo)... it'll work ok here?? Thnaks :)
  10. krisserin
    June 08, 2007 at 1:24pm
    I love that you can access Pandora on other platforms--but why limit your options to just one service provider? Are there plans to create new opportunities for non-sprint users to access pandora from their phones/portable mp3 players?

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )