Greetings and salutations. We have a new podcast for you this morning.
podcast_mic.jpg
Today’s show is all about what you do with a sung track after you have recorded it. Ariah Firefly and I demonstrate how the de-esser squashes sibilance, how double-tracking and self-doubling work, and how the vocoder can just about any song sound like the chorus to Dr. Dre’s “California Love.” We also swim in a lake of reverb, and hear why a huge arena reverb may not work with a highly melismatic vocal line. What is a melismatic vocal line, you ask? (Dramatic pause.) Prepare yourself, for enjoyment awaits you. At the bottom of the page, you can hear for yourself how these effects are used in songs by Madonna, Liz Phair, 2Pac and Bjork.
Go straight to Episode 12 here, or head over to the main podcast page to see and hear all of these free shows.
On that podcast page, you can also chat with Ariah and me about this or any of the other episodes.
Salud,
Kevin

Comments

1. crystal
    May 17, 2007 at 8:18am
    despite the bad news, just wanted to say THANK YOU SO MUCH for everything...your hard work has opened my eyes to some incredible musicians, made my work days enjoyable, and saved me in some dark moments. thank you for taking the time to share your knowledge and support musicians. music heals. glad someone out there knows it. x
  2. Judy
    May 17, 2007 at 10:16am
    After a long respite from purchasing CD's I started to purchase music again. This is due to the fact that I was able to listen to music via Pandora that is not played on mainstream radio stations.
  3. JPalmer
    May 17, 2007 at 11:21am
    I am very sorry to lose pandora.com as my daily companion. I wish you the best in your continued work and thank you most heartily for efforts on behalf of your listeners/friends on the northern side of that line-in-the-sand called "border".
  4. Kevin Seal
    May 17, 2007 at 11:25am
    Thank you, Crystal and Judy and JPalmer. Those comments are tremendously appreciated right now.
  5. Adam
    May 17, 2007 at 12:07pm
    Again, thanks so much for the service. I look forward to hearing it again on our frozen northern computers! Anything we can do with the Canadian Government?
  6. McDahlvik
    May 17, 2007 at 1:57pm
    What am i going to listen too now? The music at yahoo sucks. And these bands i cant even find in the stores or even on limewire. :(
  7. Shawn
    May 17, 2007 at 6:18pm
    I agree with the other comments posted. Pandora is amazing and I'm sorry to lose access to it. It was a wonderful thing to have while it lasted and made my days at work all that much more enjoyable. You have created an incredible thing here and I truly wish you all the best and incredible unlimited success with it. Even if I can't listen in, I'll be cheering you on! If there's anything I can do from this side of the border then please, let me know!! Best of luck and thank you so very much for the fantastic music you have helped me discover! If and when Canada is permitted to listen in again... I'll be one of the first in line! Pandora.com ROCKS!!!!
  8. liz88
    May 18, 2007 at 8:15am
    Why don't you northern folk simply provide fake adddresses in the good ole' US of A ? Only kiddin ?
  9. Ansley
    May 18, 2007 at 3:47pm
    Hey! I love this site! It has been great finding new music. Y'all should check out Julia Easterlin. www.myspace.com/juliaeasterlin. She has sung at the Grammys twice. Shes kinda Nora Jones, with more jazzy pop... maybe.. She's really all her own amazing sound. Do yourself a favor and just check it out!
  10. sebastien leonhart
    May 19, 2007 at 9:07am
    Cette nouvelle est comme une epee qui creuse un douloureux sillon dans la veine extraordinaire que vous avez su ouvrir en nous. Votre travail est extraordinaire et nous ne pouvons que feliciter l'equipe de Pandora pour le travail exceptionnel que vous avez fait au cours de ces annees. Merci encore et croyez bien que nous suivrons avec beaucoup d'interet les developpements de votre site.
  11. Karla
    May 19, 2007 at 2:00pm
    This is pretty coll no one has sent me messages though well, maybe i will tlk to you l8r. ())>-%---.
  12. jay
    May 20, 2007 at 1:50pm
    i'm terribly sorry to lose such a great tool for discovering new music and groups i never would have heard of otherwise. i share my computer with a teenage "war-crack" addict and pandora was always one of the first stops on my list of places to spend the limited time the kid generously allowed me (just kidding...sort of). best in the future and a big "thank you" from canada, the tundra country.
  13. Jesse
    May 20, 2007 at 4:05pm
    I started looking at new artists I'd never thought of looking at in the past... thanks to Pandora. Now that Pandora is not available to Canada (and soon to not be available to anyone) due to the greedy music people [not talking about the artists here], how many of these artists will I not be "introduced" to and as a result not be able to support? Is this the end of internat radio? No, underground internet radio will be around. Is this the end of a fantastic well thought out system (pandora.com) that would benefit both artists and music listeners? Looks like yes and what a shame, as it's the latter two groups that end up losing out.
  14. kristen
    May 21, 2007 at 9:30am
    yeah i love good charlotte i went to their concert once when i barely knew who they were and i lved them i have been a fan eve since
  15. Monica
    May 22, 2007 at 7:13am
    I miss listening to you from The Netherlands. I hope one day this will change.
  16. Daly
    May 22, 2007 at 8:45pm
    Your project is one of the best created online. It appeals to people interest. Your invention seems like is base on people needs. Congratulations !! This FYI I 've having the best moments listening to music that is very difficult to find. Thank you so much
  17. Rose
    May 23, 2007 at 11:18am
    hello....I would just like to say please don't give up the fight. Every single person I know, now plays pandora pretty much everyday....the artist we have now been able to support due to the knowledge of them being out there is all thanks to you!! if there is anything you need on this side of the boarder don't hesitate to contact me. Thank you Tyana
  18. Kevin Seal
    May 23, 2007 at 12:29pm
    Thanks, folks. We will not give up the fight. Our hats are tipped in salutation.
  19. Ian
    May 25, 2007 at 1:51pm
    Another Canadian who is lost without Pandora... I have been a "member" to your site for about 8 months now and truly loved it. Everyday I would come home from work turn on the computer and bring up your website. Then just sit back and listen to the the tunes. You really made a difference in my daily routines. Currently, I am stuck listening to the itunes radio stations which are ok but nothing compared to what I had set up with you. Any news as to when we will no longer be restricted? The worse thing is I can look out my Window everyday and see Detroit! Just seconds away and yet so far away. I still appreciate what you folks have set up. If there is anything that we can do to help speed up the process please let us know!! Thanks
  20. Ben Wu
    May 28, 2007 at 3:59pm
    Thank you, thank you, thank you. Kevin, we all know that you did everything you could to save the service in Canada. If there is anything we can do, please let us know.

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )