Much to our chagrin, on the heels of our being forced to block virtually our entire international listening audience, we now have to add Canada to the list (beginning May 16th). We had been hopeful that the licensing situation with our Northern friends might have some hope of imminent resolution. However, after a tough week, and in the wake of the substantial attention the blocking has clearly brought to this issue, it’s been made clear to us that we cannot continue streaming into Canada.
No need to reiterate just how difficult this is. It’s just a terrible thing for music that there’s not even a licensing structure available that would allow a webcaster to stream legally outside the U.S.
I’ll reiterate our commitment to fighting as hard as we can to fix this absurd problem – we only hope that reform will come soon so that we can get back to the business of listening and discovery.
My sincerest apologies.
Tim (Founder)

Comments

1. Corey
    May 14, 2007 at 8:36pm
    Bullshit...total bullshit...and the music industry wonders why people just end up downloading everything for free. The lack of flexibilty and vision among the mainstream music industry just astounds me. I loved Pandora while it lasted and even bought several CDs based on artists the service introduced me to. A Sad Day for sure.. Good luck getting it up and running again though I imagine a small American company will have the time or the financial incentive to enter the Canadian market if it is too difficult or onerous. C-Dogg
  2. Sarah
    May 14, 2007 at 8:37pm
    Thanks so much for Pandora and for your work to maintain access. I love listening and am continually jotting down the names of new bands I had never heard of that I plan to check out again. I look forward to whenever you begin streaming to Canada again, so I can again learn about new music. Cheers!
  3. Harp
    May 14, 2007 at 8:49pm
    ... Well it's not illegal to download music in Canada, it's illegal to share it! So them forcing Pandora to block international users including Canada will just make things worse?
  4. Elizabeth
    May 14, 2007 at 8:49pm
    Awh man! This is gonna suck arse. :(
  5. Janet
    May 14, 2007 at 9:11pm
    No! This development is so sad. I love Pandora, and how easy it is to discover new artists I'd normally have to dig for (and, who has time?) The shutdown of the site to Canadians will put a serious damper on my music-listening, especially at work. If there's any politicians we can write to, or if we should lobby the CRTC, please let us know. I look forward to hearing about the service's re-launch here. -Janet in Saskatoon
  6. Kim
    May 14, 2007 at 9:22pm
    This is like many things today that are good,we are only seeing the continued start of things to come. Political will continues to be on the move hang on to your hats watch the papers / television / puplic radio and more. Thanks for the time we could enjoy "Pandora", fight the good fight in the days ahead.
  7. iliana
    May 14, 2007 at 9:35pm
    Are you kidding me? Let me just that I'm super disappointed because U'd think that on the internet, it wouldnt matter what country your in but you'd still get a chance to have the right to use the same services as someone in the US. I doubt this will ever be clarified, because as a company it's probably not even worth keeping your Canadian Listeners...is it. Oh well, I will just move on to the next company that comes up with the same thing...only better.
  8. Janet
    May 14, 2007 at 9:40pm
    I had only just discovered Pandora recently (after my daughter clued me in) and could hardly believe how great it is, discovering a whole world of music I wouldn't have known about otherwise. . . Please, please come back soon. Thanks for the good time.
  9. Persephone
    May 14, 2007 at 9:54pm
    Thankyou for remembering our info, bookmarked items and such... I will hold faith and hope that you will one day be able to restream in my country (though of course I'll be moving to Scotland next year, I wonder how that will work?), in the mean time... Keep on rockin' in the free world!
  10. Alischa
    May 14, 2007 at 10:00pm
    I just recieved the sad, sad e-mail that told me I will no longer have access to my beloved Pandora, simply because I am a proud Canuck. And so, tonight I listen to it one more time, with a tear in the corner of my eye, hoping that one day I will be allowed to listen again. If it had to come to paying for this service, I would be happy to do so! Keep up the fight Pandora, we love our music and want it back!!!