Much to our chagrin, on the heels of our being forced to block virtually our entire international listening audience, we now have to add Canada to the list (beginning May 16th). We had been hopeful that the licensing situation with our Northern friends might have some hope of imminent resolution. However, after a tough week, and in the wake of the substantial attention the blocking has clearly brought to this issue, it’s been made clear to us that we cannot continue streaming into Canada.
No need to reiterate just how difficult this is. It’s just a terrible thing for music that there’s not even a licensing structure available that would allow a webcaster to stream legally outside the U.S.
I’ll reiterate our commitment to fighting as hard as we can to fix this absurd problem – we only hope that reform will come soon so that we can get back to the business of listening and discovery.
My sincerest apologies.
Tim (Founder)

Comments

1. Pandoraisthebest
    July 29, 2007 at 7:00pm
    Pandora was awesome while it lasted... Gees, make it come back...NOW!!!
  2. Cameron Williams
    August 07, 2007 at 8:44am
    Still holding out hope up here.
  3. heather stack
    August 15, 2007 at 10:42am
    damn. get back here. we need you! i love using pandora!
  4. Canada Loves Pandora
    August 15, 2007 at 2:23pm
    So how many Pandora exiles here are stuck listening to Last.fm?
  5. Canada Loves Pandora
    August 15, 2007 at 2:50pm
    I found a website that Canadians might like while we wait for Pandora.com to allow us back in: http://www.anywhere.fm/player/ I hope this helps!
  6. Ross
    August 18, 2007 at 4:00am
    Why can iTunes radio stream to my computer all day and Pandora can't?
  7. MARK
    October 04, 2007 at 4:20pm
    Just wait, its going to get alot worse.By the time they get done the only thing you will be able to do is get cooking recipes.When that happens i will cancel isp and the isp's will go out of business..
  8. Jeff
    October 08, 2007 at 6:22am
    too bad your site was so great and I had a lot of people listening
  9. Aaron
    October 31, 2007 at 4:23pm
    Too bad your not broadcasting out of sweeden, they have no copyright laws to get in the way. thats the only reason thepiratebay.com still exists to this day
  10. William
    November 02, 2007 at 4:46am
    I find this just mean and disgusting to Canadians. Pandora was an amazing program. I used it at School, Home and everywhere I could find a computer. Whatever law your told you to do this is simply disgusting. We Canadians have helped the Americans in plenty ways. And how do they treat us? Like dirt. I hope in some future we will get the respect we deserve.
  11. michael Grieve
    November 16, 2007 at 1:54am
    any news on canada, is it me or have you forgoten about your nighbours
  12. David
    November 21, 2007 at 6:47pm
    I absolutely loved Pandora, and I'm pretty upset that I'm unable to use it now. I can't help but wondering if the CMCC (Canadian Music Creators Coalition) would do anything help us out? They would definately be able to generate the need publicity, there are some really big names in the member list. I know this isn't exactly what they are working for, but I think it has some relevance. I think that Pandora is a great way to encourage Canadian music, I have found several new Canadian artists whose albums I have bought because of Pandora. Tim perhaps a letter explaining our situation would convince the Coalition to start promoting internet radio in Canada.
  13. Verona
    November 22, 2007 at 7:39pm
    That really sucks, you guys at Pandora are really on to something...and as for the music industry: f* them, if they think they can control the online global community ...for every head they cut off two more will grow...this is a beast you cant fight, so either get with it or f*-off. Check out piratebay.net for all your music piracey. We are the people and we control the net. Peace.
  14. Dan Phillips
    December 12, 2007 at 11:54am
    Demonoid I could understand! But, come on! I liked you! Now I know how minorities feel. When did Canuck become a racial slur? That's right, I just called you a racist! (Sorry, I'm angst-y... I'll miss it.)
  15. David
    January 09, 2008 at 4:36pm
    Its funny that there was Canadian Artists playing on pandora. I wonder if these songs are still playing on pandora since its blocked in Canada. Its classic, americans want to listen to canadian and international music, but they never let there stuff go out of the country. Take all give nothing, United-States to its best. Please come back to us A.S.A.P. we likes your services here in Canada, i even paid to help your cause and then it got shutdown SAD.
  16. Alex
    January 13, 2008 at 8:02am
    The music industry is in a "trimming" stage. Too many current executives came into the industry with too many compensation expectations. Don't worry, this is a dying breed, and as the suckling piggies retire, they will be replaced with more reasonably compensated gen-X folk who get in with lower expecations. Then they'll start to work WITH the rest of us... I hope.
  17. A…CotMMMMM
    February 18, 2008 at 8:40am
    Hey music companies, Banning pandora from Canada was the straw that broke this camel's back. I used to buy 2-10 albums a month. when pandora got banned, i stopped buying all together. Please pass that along to all your artists and ask if its what they really wanted.
  18. Tom
    February 29, 2008 at 7:58am
    You are right Alex, that is so true. Now that it's harder for me to discover new stuff I don't buy as much CDs than I used to. :D
  19. MarkS
    March 17, 2008 at 6:53am
    I bought at least 30 cd's via the Amazon.com link. I have bought 2 since having been blocked. Music companies are cutting their own throats. The sooner they go bust, the better. M
  20. Mi
    March 25, 2008 at 8:11am
    I hope Pandora comes back to Canada soon. There are simply no other sites out there to replace it. I am on last.fm, but it's not the same. You have to pay for a customizable radio station. I had some hope when I discovered Slacker.com which is almost the same, but it turns out they have the same regulation problems as Pandora. I wish there was something we could do to get the govt. here to agree to letting us have Pandora back. There were tons of Canadians on Pandora, what a huge user loss! Internet radio isn't worth listening to unless it's personalized, so I guess I'll stick with Windows Media, iTunes, and last.FM... for now. Cross your fingers for this year!
  21. randy
    April 16, 2008 at 8:25am
    AGGGHH - I need my Pandora. Canada just got duller.
  22. Dave
    July 04, 2008 at 7:54am
    Any new news?
  23. emil
    July 05, 2008 at 7:01pm
    hm...it has to be a way around... I feel like I am in North Koreea... best companion is now gone...
  24. Lucia @ Pandora
    July 07, 2008 at 11:11am
    Sorry Dave, no news at this time. We'll let you know if anything changes!! :) Lucia, from Pandora
  25. ZenBug
    July 10, 2008 at 11:44am
    I really miss Pandora. LastFM is not a suitable replacement. With LastFM, I find myself constantly asking myself "Now why would this song make it into the tag that I've searched for?!" I was able to let Pandora play for the better part of an hour before needing to skip a single song. It knew my tastes amazingly well. Bah.
  26. Bianca
    July 10, 2008 at 2:27pm
    Obviously there are people here ready to raise the voice, let us know if there is something we can do :-) US Citizen, Canadian Resident!
  27. Corona
    July 15, 2008 at 6:02pm
    I wonder what's going on. Do Pandora staff look at this thread anymore? Will we ever get Pandora back? I really miss it a lot.
  28. Lucia @ Pandora
    July 16, 2008 at 11:22am
    Hi Corona - We do indeed read every comment posted on our blog. I'm so sorry that Pandora isn't legal in Canada. We do hope this will change, as we'd love to be able to provide Pandora to our Northern friends. Be assured: we haven't forgotten about you, and we'll post on our blog if anything changes! Sincerely, Lucia, from Pandora
  29. Andre
    July 16, 2008 at 8:23pm
    Its always that stupid CRTC. They mess up everything in this country. Look at the whole internet filtering going on by Bell and Rogers. CRTC are supposed to be good for consumers not bad. Could we all write to the CRTC or our local representatives to put pressure on them to fix our regulations? Canada is way to socialist with too many stupid laws. Can't wait till your back Pandora.
  30. Brad
    October 28, 2008 at 3:01pm
    Seen this on the news today. What does it mean to Pandora in Canada????? Canada on Monday extended music royalties to the Internet in a move that will encompass commercial TV and radio station websites, electronic gaming sites and online radio stations.
  31. Ian
    October 28, 2008 at 10:22pm
    I saw the samething about royalties. I hope it will mean something for us here in Canada. Although I did send article to Pandora a few months ago asking them if this might apply to us but they never answered me. Hopefully, they will respond to the lastest news.
  32. Monica
    November 03, 2008 at 5:06pm
    So frustrating! I have family in the US and listened to Pandora non stop while I was visiting only to discover I can't listen from home... If there is anything that Canadians can do from our end to help solve this madness, please let us know! From the look of it you have a great many fans that would be all too willing to throw snowballs at the jerkoffs who put a stop to our listening enjoyment!
  33. Laura
    November 17, 2008 at 10:11am
    I miss Pandora SO much! I just moved back here from the US where I used to listen to it all the time. Looking forward to some sort of resolution :)
  34. Dan
    December 23, 2008 at 12:47pm
    Open up a doantions box or some shit, and expand your licensing contract
  35. Ian Ellison, Pandora Listener Support
    December 23, 2008 at 1:23pm
    @brad @ian That is unfortunately a different type of licensing than what we would need. @monica @laura I don't want to hold out false hopes, but yes-- Canadians can advocate for national licensing reform. An internet radio licensing system like the one provided in the USA by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (or DMCA), despite its imperfections, would drastically reduce initial licensing costs by providing a statutory (or "one-stop") license which would mean paying known flat royalty rates instead of negotiating with each royalty and rights-holder organization individually. @dan Nothing would make us happier at Pandora than providing music for free to the whole world. But as I mentioned in my response to Monica and Laura, the startup costs involved are staggering. You would probably be amazed at the legal costs of negotiating a licensing agreement with one single record company or rights-holder organization-- much less every applicable one within an entire country. Until the global economic situation improves dramatically-- or the international licensing landscape undergoes an equally dramatic shift-- we really can't say when this long-delayed dream of ours will come to pass. But we'll never give up hope!
  36. Vanessa
    January 14, 2009 at 9:03pm
    miss pandora so much. ill do anything to get it back :(
  37. Canada Loves Pandora
    January 20, 2009 at 7:02pm
    Found another Pandora alternative for Canadians (but it's not the same): http://www.deezer.com/ I find it discriminatory that Pandora is having so many problems with its Canadian licensing, while Last.fm, imeem, youtube, and others are having no problems. Why is only Pandora still having problems? Maybe President Barack Obama can solve this issue! Add it to NAFTA. ;)
  38. Hugh
    January 21, 2009 at 3:59pm
    http://www.jango.com is a nice alternative to Pandora but it doesn't have a pop out player which is quite annoying.
  39. Amanda Manzanares
    February 18, 2009 at 12:19am
    I still miss Pandora.com, theres an obvious demand for it here and i think it would be stupid for us not to fight for the right to listen again America is a home the Free, and why can't Canada be as well? I Dare you all including staff to fight for our right to the music, Start a petition spread the word of Pandora.com but whatever you do don't be the type of person to ever give up, because thats why we don't have Pandora.com now because we gave up right?
  40. Ur Canadan Friends
    February 18, 2009 at 3:19pm
    When I heard Pandora was not in Canada I had a mental melt down. My tharapist helped me get past the worst but still... tears come to my eyes as I wright this. I dearly hope my favorate music station will be up and running... Untell then... Good-by my dear friend.
  41. Tim
    February 25, 2009 at 7:27pm
    Please, figure this out guys. I know you are dealing with Canadian CCRT b****it. We love Pandora and have been waiting patiently for over a year. Let us know what we can do. You provided us with an amazing service that is unmatched by anyone. WE WILL PAY FOR YOUR SERVICE. CANADA LOVES PANDORA.
  42. nimer
    April 07, 2009 at 4:26pm
    so youtube is okay, but pandora isnt? ill never understand how retarded government works. atleast people bought shit off pandora, and it was only audio, meanwhile, youtube posts videos and audio, and no one buys shit off it. i never used it, but i was going to start (with the palm pre thats coming out)
  43. rob
    April 15, 2009 at 10:24am
    has anyone found something similar offered in canada?
  44. Scotty the Hoser
    April 23, 2009 at 5:34am
    I still miss you Pandora. Please come back to me. Last night I had a dream that I held you in my arms again. Every day that goes by without you is an eternity. Please come back to me. -Hooser
  45. James
    May 16, 2009 at 11:49pm
    ok I'm Canadian and all I can say is WTF??? Seriously there needs to be revolution here. Hulu, and pandora... great sites that someones got a stick up their butt about letting canada access those site... I don't get it...
  46. Alee – Listener Advocate
    May 18, 2009 at 12:14pm
    @James--as we've explained above, it's not something presently in our control. Licensing music legally to Canadian listeners requires a licensing agreement that could take quite some time to negotiate. It IS unfortunate but we do look forward to resolving this issue in the future. Hope you and our other Canadian fans can understand; we appreciate your patience in the meantime. -A
  47. Jackie
    June 01, 2009 at 9:55pm
    "1. Is this a US or a Canadian issue? The short answer to that is that it's a Canadian issue. There is simply NO license currently available to stream legally into Canada, for anyone. Not just Pandora. Int'l law mandates that all performers be paid and there is no body that has the rights to grant and administer this fee. So a 'label deal' doesn't actually do the trick. You need the equivalent of the DMCA/SoundExchange combo that exists in the US." I'd like to point out that this is bullshit. Almost every broadcast radio station in canada also streams their programming online. I can listen to radio stations across the country just by finding their website. I can't listen to American stations, but I can listen to Canadian ones. It can't be that hard if the local rock station in nowhere, northern ontario can broadcast online.
  48. Alee – Listener Advocate
    June 02, 2009 at 12:22pm
    @Jackie--Just to clarify, the quote you found refers to internet radio stations that broadcast from outside of Canada. You're referring to intracontinental radio services. Broadcasting TO Canada, FROM Canada is not an issue. As well, you are referring to terrestrial radio stations that are available online. Terrestrial radio (anything you can tune in to with a standard radio receiver) is not subject to the same strictures as online radio. Even when they stream online, it's still not the same thing as what we do, from a legal perspective. I bring this up not to chastise you but as an attempt to clarify the misconceptions we are dealing with in this matter. Hope that explains it. -Alee
  49. Kyle
    June 04, 2009 at 9:29am
    I'm not complaining. Canadians can download music freely with no punishment. We just can't upload.
  50. me
    June 06, 2009 at 9:39am
    make a huge huge huge petition from all provinces of canada so that in this time of crisis we can help artist by discovering them cause im tired of hearing pop music everywhere