Much to our chagrin, on the heels of our being forced to block virtually our entire international listening audience, we now have to add Canada to the list (beginning May 16th). We had been hopeful that the licensing situation with our Northern friends might have some hope of imminent resolution. However, after a tough week, and in the wake of the substantial attention the blocking has clearly brought to this issue, it’s been made clear to us that we cannot continue streaming into Canada.
No need to reiterate just how difficult this is. It’s just a terrible thing for music that there’s not even a licensing structure available that would allow a webcaster to stream legally outside the U.S.
I’ll reiterate our commitment to fighting as hard as we can to fix this absurd problem – we only hope that reform will come soon so that we can get back to the business of listening and discovery.
My sincerest apologies.
Tim (Founder)

Comments

1. Dora
    May 14, 2007 at 7:34pm
    I looked forward to listening to Pandora while I was at home, work and everywhere else where I can access this website. It's terrible. I've grown to love new artists where I wouldn't have known if it wern't for your site. I've bought a lot of CDs because of this station. I will miss you all and everything you've brought to me. good luck.
  2. Ian Prentice
    May 14, 2007 at 7:34pm
    Man, that sucks. I listen to Pandora 7 hours a day, 5 days a week. Come back to Canada soon, I'll be on Last.FM in the meanwhile.
  3. Lisa
    May 14, 2007 at 7:36pm
    Dear Tim I am very disappointed! I listen am I am very disappointed! I listen almost everyday I make my work bearable. I have purchased many of the music that I have discovered here! It can only help musicians. Please keep me posted! I will miss it so much! Blessings Lisa
  4. Caleb
    May 14, 2007 at 7:47pm
    Pandora has been an awesome service and I'm glad to have been able to use is as long as I have. Good luck on fighting the good fight, we're behind you all the way.
  5. Judy
    May 14, 2007 at 7:55pm
    I also will miss Pandora! It is a great way to listen to and learn about artists I had never heard of before, and probably never would have, ever! I was just starting to make a list of my favourites that had come up, that I wanted to watch for and listen to again, and look up elsewhere to see what was available to buy their CDs. Now I won't be able to.... :(
  6. t w j
    May 14, 2007 at 7:55pm
    Fi this decision was made against the excited states of america you would declare war. instead, we will take the passive position and take you over over a coffee, the wood to build your houses and the fuel to heat them!
  7. Veronica
    May 14, 2007 at 8:04pm
    man that sucks....i love Pandora.
  8. taai
    May 14, 2007 at 8:10pm
    these people harassing you are short-sighted morons... i have been exposed to some great music because of pandora and other internet radio. this makes me more intent than EVER to pirate any music and movies i possibly can (except for indie labels) just to screw these assholes out of every cent. i'm into supporting artists and the music industry, but i'm not into supporting the vultures! screw the vultures! viva le internet radio! music is meant to be shared!
  9. Pilot
    May 14, 2007 at 8:11pm
    Alas Pandora, you will be missed, Canada loves you!
  10. Carney
    May 14, 2007 at 8:29pm
    Simple solution, redistribute the music from a Canadian server with Canadian licensing. I'd be more than happy to help you establish a Canadian presence.