Just coming up for air after a few crazy weeks. Rewinding a little… Great trip to Philly. Was picked up at the train station by some wild Australian guy, claiming to be part of a local podcasting group… wound up on theBestDamnTechShow… period for a humorous, and at times completely random segment. Always great to see these kinds of groups popping up – videographer, programmer, lighting expert, radio guy, recording engineer, spontaneously forming a creative group and launching a podcast. Good luck guys…
BestDamnTech1.jpg
Drew was kind enough to drive us to the UPenn bookstore for the town hall.

Headed over the UPenn for a very engaging evening with a huge crowd of local music fans. First a very hearty thanks to Ilene, Chris and Christine for the invitation, and for being such wonderful hosts. And Theodore, for all the legwork getting the word out. It makes all the difference to have such great support. And thanks for the awesome sweatshirt too! I felt compelled to pass it along to Jessica Stoner, our VP of BizDev who is a UPenn alum – she beamed!
Audience was full of musicians, reps for musicians groups, recording studio owners, small record label folks, radio DJs, entrepreneurs… the whole shootin match.
UPenn3.jpg
Many folks were interested in the payment situation for artists. Pandora pays a license fee (set by the DMCA) for every song that we stream. We cut really big checks every month to the various royalty collecting agencies (ASCAP, BMI, SESAC, SoundExchange), which then disburse it to the artists.
UPenn2.jpg
UPenn4.jpg
Chris&Tim.jpg
Tim&IleneWilder.jpg
Hopped the last Acela back to NYC – love riding the train. And Philly’s train station is such an incredibly beautiful piece of architecture. City of brotherly love indeed….
Tim (Founder)

Comments

1. Matt Heltzer
    December 11, 2006 at 9:09am
    Pandora sticks to AD:18-35 like flies to fly paper.
  2. Tha Mike
    December 11, 2006 at 9:44am
    Last picture... fat guy with backpack... Dat's Me!!! Tim, the meeting was great and you touched up on a lot of our listeners were curious about so we were happy to pass them along. You Rock Man! The Awful Show Praises Thee! Tha Mike - www.theawfulshow.com
  3. sofia
    December 11, 2006 at 11:55am
    hi i'm french and i'd like to chat with american (or english) teens to pratise ! if you're interested take my email adress !
  4. Aline
    December 12, 2006 at 1:14pm
    Hey I love Pandora, I think it´s one of the best things at internet lately. Only one think to say about: I found latin american and untill brasilian songs here, but I don´t find songs in italian!!!! Just Laura Pausini...well, I hope you plan change it soon. kiss for all.
  5. Becky
    December 12, 2006 at 4:21pm
    A CO-WORKER DIRECTED ME TO THE GENOME AND I AM SO IMPRESSED!! I THINK THIS IS A WONDERFUL CREATION.
  6. Ray Ray
    December 12, 2006 at 4:46pm
    I look GOOD and you know it ...
  7. Caleb
    December 13, 2006 at 10:25pm
    Hey man Love the site!! ... but one thing is missing! Minnesota i know its cold up here in the winter...... well in the spring and fall also, but its warm in the summer and you HAVE to check us out, and our local music .. one kick ass band is "Day Trip" you have to check em out... i mean come on, some of the best artists from North America have come from here!! -- thats all keep up the good work .. LOVING IT!!
  8. Blogella
    December 14, 2006 at 1:05am
    One of the most innovative projects i have seen lately. I put in bands that are hard to find and it manages to find everything! I love music, i love technology but this is beyond anything i ve seen so far. Keep up the good work. You have my 100% support
  9. ELO.DK
    December 14, 2006 at 3:11am
    HI DEAR FANS OF THE PANDORA !!! HERE WE LISTEN TO THAT MUSIC WE LOVE ! THE STATION OF THE STARS ,,, SUPER ,,,,, REGARDS TO ALL FROM ELO IN DENMARK / EUROPE
  10. blah
    December 14, 2006 at 8:04am
    ghetto shit on this website
  11. Alx
    December 14, 2006 at 5:47pm
    PANDORA IS SO COOL!! Too bad for the licenses. I think they block you a little... What about canadian songs? Do you know "Mes ailleux", good group in Quebec! I would like french music! Thanks a lot and I love what you do! good idea!
  12. David
    December 14, 2006 at 9:42pm
    You should make a trip to the College of William and Mary if you ever get a chance...in Williamsburg, Virginia, lots of people who would be very interested in hearing about Pandora!
  13. nicole
    December 17, 2006 at 12:45pm
    yep.....wat a kool pic!! lol NOT!
  14. Rich
    December 18, 2006 at 8:05pm
    This site is so cool, i thought i was the only person out there that was having a hard time finding other bands they like, now adays its so hard to be opened up to new music sense the radio only plays the same 5 songs over and over again and what used to be great music shows on tv has turned to basically strict reality shows.. ive found many new artists i like because of Pandora and also been re-accuanted with a few songs from back in the day that i really didnt know the artist of at the time This idea is great! hope is stays going!
  15. Eric
    December 19, 2006 at 11:45pm
    Pandora rocks! I've been exposed to so many great artists that I never heard of... and probably wouldn't have, if it weren't for Pandora. Pandora helps me get through the work day... it's my favorite place on the web. Keep up the great work! Eric
  16. Anna
    December 31, 2006 at 7:13pm
    YES. That is all I can say. How do you do it? And for FREE???
  17. susie williams
    January 02, 2007 at 12:34pm
    i like all air supply music it is so cool music!!!!! make me feel really good myself to listen and sing..... i felt like my all frustration in life gone away:P......bcoz i believe if ur frustration? do something to make u feel ok? it is true? :)) wink*
  18. Arlene
    January 03, 2007 at 4:50am
    Hi Tim: Thanks a lot for the creation of Pandora Music Genome Project, I really love the music you played.
  19. Lew Brown
    January 03, 2007 at 12:04pm
    This is by far the best site for old country music. I enjoy it at work , when I can, and have it on at home after work. My wife of 55 years passed away last month and I am sorry I hadn't found the site prior as she would enjoyed it also.
  20. Ben Marbury
    January 03, 2007 at 12:09pm
    It would be really neat if you would show a chart of the most popular songs on Pandora. I love Pandora!!
  21. tom
    January 05, 2007 at 6:53pm
    great site...my first time on it today, and i really like....keep up the good work
  22. Dena Condron
    January 08, 2007 at 3:17pm
    Do you not have classical music offerings or am I too much of a moron to find them?
  23. Jerry in Albuquerque
    January 09, 2007 at 7:02pm
    Geez, guys! You're hitting all the states around us, but not making a stop in New Mexico? We really are a state, honest! Ask anybody (but only here in Albuquerque). Maybe you could just hesitate between Dallas and Phoenix?
  24. Victor Joaquin
    January 17, 2007 at 9:32am
    If you guys are ever in West Michigan, or just plain Michigan period, then stop by Grand Valley State University. Here at GVSU, our student body is made up of a very diverse and liberal group. You will find many cultures and backgrounds that im sure could serve very beneficial to such an awesome website. I have loved the idea of Pandora and what it offers, and I let it play on my computer practically 24/7, always looking for new talents which are rarely not found in your database. A trip to GVSU could be another way to add even more stations.
  25. Kate
    January 21, 2007 at 2:52pm
    This is a fantastic site. I just wanted to make an artist suggestion that I think would be awesome if you added. The guy is Brad Yoder, he's based in Pittsburgh, PA, and just has some awesome music and does a great live performance. His website is www.bradyoder.com, definitely worth checking out.
  26. joe
    February 01, 2007 at 6:42am
    you have been a blessing i've been playing & listening to folk music for many years and now because of you I can hear great music again thank you very much !
  27. Rick
    February 04, 2007 at 7:30am
    Check out a young aspiring composer of piano at: www.myspace.com/chrislarosa He is waiting to be discovered! Enjoy!!!
  28. earnest
    February 13, 2007 at 7:13pm
    Just a great (PANDORA) station wish that I had found out about pandora sooner, I think this is the best thing since radio, It is the only thing that I listen to now. Keep up the good music pandora,and let me know when you are going to be in the Pittsburgh area. Earnest Mcclary Pgh, pa
  29. Bev
    April 11, 2007 at 7:47am
    I am so glad that I came across this site. The music is out of this world. I used to listen to XPN but this is exactly what I like and nothing that I do not like!!!!!Great Job!
  30. Deb
    May 04, 2007 at 12:15pm
    Hi...I love Pandora !!! But....there is a problem having it on here at work. The volume is different for each song & I have to continually adjust so I do not bother my "neighbors". Why is that? And can it be corrected?
  31. Gaurav
    May 30, 2007 at 7:37pm
    Please come to Pittsburgh, PA. I love your service, its perfect for fellow musical schizophrenics like me. Thanks
  32. Bill Dolcich
    October 03, 2007 at 8:58pm
    hey im from the pittsburgh area, there is a good local band going to slippery rock university. all the members are in their early 20s. they are still young as a band but have a great sound. the band name is wine and spirit. they have a good classic rock influence and their stage energy is incredible... come check them out!!
  33. Jeff
    November 06, 2007 at 2:48pm
    Amazing work with the project... one of the most intuitive ways to use the internet. If you are ever in Pittsburgh, PA, check out the band "Kicked". They play weekly shows in and around downtown. Keep up the great work!
  34. Gregory L Byers
    November 15, 2007 at 7:21am
    I`m surprised one of the genres isn`t CELTIC.This may be just my opinion but if pandora is truly wanting to offer all different kinds of music and enable people to explore, then the powerful and moving CELTIC genre should not be left out. I`m just your ordinary joe but I do know what the Celtic style of music has done for me. CELTIC listed as a genre could spark curiousity and bring more attention to an already very popular and powerful music. thank you
  35. Terry Stuart
    January 23, 2008 at 1:19pm
    One day while searching the Internet I found the Pandora website. I listened to some of the music and I liked what was there. I like music from the 50's on back and it looks like this website has alot of great music. So glad I found Pandora!
  36. Terry Stuart
    January 23, 2008 at 1:41pm
    Here is a suggestion: In State College, Pennsylvania, on the Penn State University Park campus, is a choir made up of African Americans who sing Gospel music. They are the United Soul Ensemble. They sing alot of the Old School Gospel songs. This is a choir that once they start singing you will want to clap along with them. Their music is one that people will never get tired of listening to it. Another suggestion is the Penn State University Men's Glee Club, which is made up of alot of young men who love to sing. They songs may include patriotic, holiday, Broadway hits, and other venues.
  37. Christy
    March 18, 2008 at 5:41am
    Pandora may have saved my marriage. I'm a ITunes junkie, addict, compulsive music buyer. Now that i have Pandora at work and at home--i no longer feel the need to buy music every day/week/hopefully month. It's been about 2 weeks that i've been clean and my husband will be so pleased when the credit card bill comes. Thanks so much, please keep it up. I've spread the word to at least 5 co-workers. Again thanks.
  38. Christy
    March 18, 2008 at 5:44am
    just read over the comments, i also love CELTIC MUSIC and would love to have that as an option, i didn't realize that it wasn't there, but no complaints here, loving every minute of my workday with Pandora
  39. Dee
    April 22, 2008 at 10:47pm
    Two years ago I left "listening" to the music world. Eventually, only jazz was all I could endure; it was the only music genre my once beloved did not play - so I could listen without falling apart. Tonight, it is this new music that soothes the tattered soul once touched by another loves' musical genius. Thanks from the "top" of my heart.
  40. steve Z.
    May 31, 2008 at 10:00am
    you should come back to Philly to see Tribaljazz on june 6th, seeing john densmore live is a rare event, and especially when it is some obscure ethnic jazz ensemble.
  41. Dru
    September 02, 2008 at 9:45am
    There is this band called City Line with a lot of potential around here. I was just searching to see if there was any of their songs on pandora and there isn't but you should come back to Philly and check them out.

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )