If you’d like to hear holiday music on Pandora, here’s some tips to get you started! Just start by entering the name of a holiday song you like (for example, ‘Winter Wonderland‘). Pandora will ask you to pick from a list of artists that we know performed that song. Pick a version that you’d like to hear, and Pandora creates a station for you that will play other similar holiday music. We’re not able to play that specific song immediately, but it will play eventually so keep listening!
Or, start a station from an artist name instead of a song title: just enter the artist’s name followed by the word ‘holiday’ (for example, ‘Ray Charles Holiday‘). Pandora will use that input to build a holiday station for you based on the musical qualities of that performer’s holiday tunes.
I don’t know about you, but it’s hard for me to think of artist or song names right off the top of my head, so here’s a handy list of a few holiday artists and songs to get you going. Just click on a name to start your own station. As you listen, add more songs and artists to your station; make it your own. (Don’t forget to thumbs down the tracks you don’t like!) If you’d like to try out some pre-mixed stations, see the end of this post…
Holiday Artist examples:
Harry Connick Jr. (Holiday)
Frank Sinatra (Holiday)
Bing Crosby (Holiday)
Ella Fitzgerald (Holiday)
Louis Armstrong (Holiday)
Vince Guaraldi Trio (Holiday)
Dave Brubeck (Holiday)
Manhattan Transfer (Holiday)
B.B. King (Holiday)
Brian Setzer Orchestra (Holiday)
The Supremes (Holiday)
Nat King Cole (Holiday)
Stevie Wonder (Holiday)
Diana Krall (Holiday)
Elvis Presley (Holiday)
Chet Atkins (Holiday)
Loretta Lynn (Holiday)
Johnny Cash (Holiday)
George Strait (Holiday)
The Roches (Holiday)
Whitney Houston (Holiday)
Destiny’s Child (Holiday)
Mariah Carey (Holiday)
Celine Dion (Holiday)
Brooklyn Tabernacle Choir & Singers (Holiday)
Barenaked Ladies (Holiday)
Los Straitjackets (Holiday)
The Beach Boys (Holiday)
John Lennon (Holiday)
Vienna Boys Choir (Holiday)
The Cambridge Singers (Holiday)
The Choir Of King’s College (Holiday)
Mormon Tabernacle Choir (Holiday)

Holiday Song examples:
Hark! The Herald Angels Sing
Ave Maria
Silent Night
O Holy Night
O Little Town of Bethlehem
Good King Wenceslas

If you’d like to try some pre-mixed holiday stations, check these out. I’ve been molding these for awhile…I hope you like them! Feel free to share your own holiday station-makin’ tips in the comments.
Rockin’ Holidays
A Motown-y Holiday
Jazz Holiday
Country Christmas
Swingin’ Christmas
R&B/Pop Holiday
Christmas Blues
A Classical Christmas

Enjoy your holiday stations!
And if you’re like me, maybe a little taste of The Grinch is in order as well?
Ho ho ho, Lucia

1. Tim
    December 05, 2006 at 7:50pm
    Lucia, Thank you for this! I was so hoping you would help make it easy to get holiday music lined up on my player. You absolutely nailed it. Tim (not founder)
  2. Tim
    December 05, 2006 at 7:59pm
    A very popular website came out today with a major post on hacking Pandora to download songs and it was quickly voted up to the front page on of another very popular website. I think the folks at Pandora.com should comment over there and let people know that it is NOT OKAY to rip music from Pandora. They are going to ruin the service for all of us if the business model is taken out at the knees like that.
  3. aaron klenke
    December 05, 2006 at 8:11pm
    Pandora is the first thing I run in the morning and the last thing I turn off. It's kept me sane and interested more times than I could count. Thanks for a great service, I wish I could repay you. The holidays can be a time of great joy as we spend time with our friends and family trying to be the people we think we should be all year round. I think we mostly succeed. They make me sad too. I remember all the people I've shared Christmas with that aren't around. We've grown apart or died or have stopped caring. Music is memory. Music is hope. It reminds us of what we have and what we've lost and maybe what we need to do to make life even better. Merry Christmas. Thank you. And many, many more!
  4. Colin Lok
    December 05, 2006 at 11:57pm
    i luv u! <3
  5. james
    December 06, 2006 at 6:45am
    i am trying to find classical music on Pandora. however, when i enter Mozart or Bach, it pulls up other offerings, or, in the case of Mozart, says Pandora doesn't recognize that name. what, if any, classical music is on pandora?
  6. Amber
    December 06, 2006 at 3:39pm
    I love, love, LOVE this. I have been listening to Pandora for months now and let my launchcast subscription run out because I decided I liked you better after giving it a run. And now I am so excited for the Holiday music. I was so hoping you guys would make a way to setup a Holiday station - Thank you SO much. I listen to Pandora all the time at work and at home. Thank you so much for this wonderful service. And the price cannot be beat either. :-)
  7. syncretic
    December 07, 2006 at 9:32am
    they don't do classical, colin, buy maybe later they will
  8. Lucia @ Pandora
    December 07, 2006 at 11:32am
    'Syncretic' is right, James. Other than a few classical Holiday tunes, classical music isn't available on Pandora just yet. Our staff is in the process of creating a new Music Genome for classical music and we're enthusiastic about bringing classical music to Pandora as soon as we can!
  9. Jay
    December 07, 2006 at 4:44pm
    Brilliant (again). Does the addition of a descriptor work for anything else? For example, will Willie Nelson + travel = songs by Nelson about traveling?
  10. Geneva
    December 08, 2006 at 6:54am
    Sometimes I put click on the thumbs down buttom, because I cannot hear the music. Some older recordings do not come through clearly. At work I attempt to keep my sound a level that serves my cubicle and does not disrupt my coworkers.

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )