If you’d like to hear holiday music on Pandora, here’s some tips to get you started! Just start by entering the name of a holiday song you like (for example, ‘Winter Wonderland‘). Pandora will ask you to pick from a list of artists that we know performed that song. Pick a version that you’d like to hear, and Pandora creates a station for you that will play other similar holiday music. We’re not able to play that specific song immediately, but it will play eventually so keep listening!
Or, start a station from an artist name instead of a song title: just enter the artist’s name followed by the word ‘holiday’ (for example, ‘Ray Charles Holiday‘). Pandora will use that input to build a holiday station for you based on the musical qualities of that performer’s holiday tunes.
I don’t know about you, but it’s hard for me to think of artist or song names right off the top of my head, so here’s a handy list of a few holiday artists and songs to get you going. Just click on a name to start your own station. As you listen, add more songs and artists to your station; make it your own. (Don’t forget to thumbs down the tracks you don’t like!) If you’d like to try out some pre-mixed stations, see the end of this post…
Holiday Artist examples:
Harry Connick Jr. (Holiday)
Frank Sinatra (Holiday)
Bing Crosby (Holiday)
Ella Fitzgerald (Holiday)
Louis Armstrong (Holiday)
Vince Guaraldi Trio (Holiday)
Dave Brubeck (Holiday)
Manhattan Transfer (Holiday)
B.B. King (Holiday)
Brian Setzer Orchestra (Holiday)
The Supremes (Holiday)
Nat King Cole (Holiday)
Stevie Wonder (Holiday)
Diana Krall (Holiday)
Elvis Presley (Holiday)
Chet Atkins (Holiday)
Loretta Lynn (Holiday)
Johnny Cash (Holiday)
George Strait (Holiday)
The Roches (Holiday)
Whitney Houston (Holiday)
Destiny’s Child (Holiday)
Mariah Carey (Holiday)
Celine Dion (Holiday)
Brooklyn Tabernacle Choir & Singers (Holiday)
Barenaked Ladies (Holiday)
Los Straitjackets (Holiday)
The Beach Boys (Holiday)
John Lennon (Holiday)
Vienna Boys Choir (Holiday)
The Cambridge Singers (Holiday)
The Choir Of King’s College (Holiday)
Mormon Tabernacle Choir (Holiday)

Holiday Song examples:
Hark! The Herald Angels Sing
Ave Maria
Silent Night
O Holy Night
O Little Town of Bethlehem
Good King Wenceslas

If you’d like to try some pre-mixed holiday stations, check these out. I’ve been molding these for awhile…I hope you like them! Feel free to share your own holiday station-makin’ tips in the comments.
Rockin’ Holidays
A Motown-y Holiday
Jazz Holiday
Country Christmas
Swingin’ Christmas
R&B/Pop Holiday
Christmas Blues
A Classical Christmas

Enjoy your holiday stations!
And if you’re like me, maybe a little taste of The Grinch is in order as well?
Ho ho ho, Lucia

Comments

1. Tim
    December 05, 2006 at 7:50pm
    Lucia, Thank you for this! I was so hoping you would help make it easy to get holiday music lined up on my player. You absolutely nailed it. Tim (not founder)
  2. Tim
    December 05, 2006 at 7:59pm
    A very popular website came out today with a major post on hacking Pandora to download songs and it was quickly voted up to the front page on of another very popular website. I think the folks at Pandora.com should comment over there and let people know that it is NOT OKAY to rip music from Pandora. They are going to ruin the service for all of us if the business model is taken out at the knees like that.
  3. aaron klenke
    December 05, 2006 at 8:11pm
    Pandora is the first thing I run in the morning and the last thing I turn off. It's kept me sane and interested more times than I could count. Thanks for a great service, I wish I could repay you. The holidays can be a time of great joy as we spend time with our friends and family trying to be the people we think we should be all year round. I think we mostly succeed. They make me sad too. I remember all the people I've shared Christmas with that aren't around. We've grown apart or died or have stopped caring. Music is memory. Music is hope. It reminds us of what we have and what we've lost and maybe what we need to do to make life even better. Merry Christmas. Thank you. And many, many more!
  4. Colin Lok
    December 05, 2006 at 11:57pm
    i luv u! <3
  5. james
    December 06, 2006 at 6:45am
    i am trying to find classical music on Pandora. however, when i enter Mozart or Bach, it pulls up other offerings, or, in the case of Mozart, says Pandora doesn't recognize that name. what, if any, classical music is on pandora?
  6. Amber
    December 06, 2006 at 3:39pm
    I love, love, LOVE this. I have been listening to Pandora for months now and let my launchcast subscription run out because I decided I liked you better after giving it a run. And now I am so excited for the Holiday music. I was so hoping you guys would make a way to setup a Holiday station - Thank you SO much. I listen to Pandora all the time at work and at home. Thank you so much for this wonderful service. And the price cannot be beat either. :-)
  7. syncretic
    December 07, 2006 at 9:32am
    they don't do classical, colin, buy maybe later they will
  8. Lucia @ Pandora
    December 07, 2006 at 11:32am
    'Syncretic' is right, James. Other than a few classical Holiday tunes, classical music isn't available on Pandora just yet. Our staff is in the process of creating a new Music Genome for classical music and we're enthusiastic about bringing classical music to Pandora as soon as we can!
  9. Jay
    December 07, 2006 at 4:44pm
    Brilliant (again). Does the addition of a descriptor work for anything else? For example, will Willie Nelson + travel = songs by Nelson about traveling?
  10. Geneva
    December 08, 2006 at 6:54am
    Sometimes I put click on the thumbs down buttom, because I cannot hear the music. Some older recordings do not come through clearly. At work I attempt to keep my sound a level that serves my cubicle and does not disrupt my coworkers.
  11. Pat
    December 08, 2006 at 9:13am
    I can't figure out how to get a channel with Hispanic (en Espanol) ONLY Christmas songs like Feliz Navidad. It keeps giving me all sorts of Anglo Pop Christmas stuff !! Very maddening !!!
  12. Lucia @ Pandora
    December 08, 2006 at 10:41am
    Hi Jay! That's a cool idea, but it only works with 'holiday' currently. :) Lucia
  13. So
    December 08, 2006 at 5:17pm
    When my friend was searching for Chanukah songs, Pandora would usually play one, but it then "switched" to Christmas music. I realize that this is probably because it can't distinguish Chanukah music from the others (maybe there's no "subgenre" gene tag for it?) -- that's too bad, since some folks who specifically search for Chanukah probably want to exclude (or minimize) Christmas fare. Otherwise, this is a fantastic service! I've spread it to my whole family and several co-workers, and they all love it. Keep up the good work.
  14. Roland Cummins
    December 08, 2006 at 9:00pm
    I'm loving Pandora's holiday music library. Thats one form music I never collected, So its tohave it at my fingertips with the yule log
  15. Tom
    December 09, 2006 at 10:25pm
    When do you expect the system maintenance to be finished?
  16. TulipGirl
    December 10, 2006 at 3:32pm
    I am enjoying Pandora so much for Christmas music! Thank you! I've been playing "Roger Whitaker holiday" mostly, but also switching to Nat King Cole holiday, Benny Goodman holiday, Louis Armstrong Holiday, and George Winston when the mood calls for it. Thanks!
  17. Tim
    December 10, 2006 at 5:50pm
    Suggestion: expand this concept of specialized tags to other topical types of music such as Christian or children's. Tim (not founder)
  18. Lucia @ Pandora
    December 12, 2006 at 10:16am
    Thanks for the comments, all. And check this album out: Hanukkah Swings! http://www.pandora.com/music/album/244384e147c3ce69
  19. paul Aviles
    December 14, 2006 at 3:31pm
    Why have I lost my Pandora connection? I keep getting a "web site you are looking for is unavailable."Can not open" Due to identification configuration settings. Please let me know you received email.
  20. Lucia @ Pandora
    December 14, 2006 at 6:07pm
    Hi Paul - You can contact pandora-support@pandora.com, and they'll help you with technical problems. Good luck!
  21. Glenn Dixon
    December 15, 2006 at 4:44pm
    I am so glad I clicked on the blog link! I was right in the middle of creating a swinging Christmas station and you've already done the work for me. And the second song that was played was Louis Prima's "Shake Hands With Santa Claus!" One of my fave artists. You guys rock.
  22. Lecky
    December 16, 2006 at 7:50am
    Why do you call it "holiday" and not Christmas? I don't like this kind of music in my summer holidays ;-). Or is it just your way of saying "Please don't blow me up, I'll give up all I believe in without you doing so?"
  23. nicole
    December 17, 2006 at 12:46pm
    i luv u?? who r u?
  24. JOAQUIN PATRON
    December 17, 2006 at 6:25pm
    It is a distinctive pleasure to enjoy your music selection. Thank a million!
  25. Francisco Moreno
    December 18, 2006 at 8:17am
    Just a suggestion... Why don't you create a payed "V.I.P account" (you may call it using any other denomination.... "wanna pay account" is also ok for me ;) ) that would let people hit back on the player, put the song they are looking for on the first position of a freshly created radio station, listen to full albums (mixed with other songs) on stations and give special offers and discounts on certain discs matching stations' criterias? BTW... the service ROCKS!
  26. N.A.Larking
    December 18, 2006 at 8:21pm
    Wow.....bang on.....great stuff.....you've created "The Best".........Thanks.....
  27. Sarita
    December 19, 2006 at 2:20am
    Hi Lucia! I've been listening to your Holidays Radios, You did a great job! I love them all, thank you and Merry Christmas + great 2007 :-)
  28. Adam
    December 19, 2006 at 6:54am
    K...i love pandora!!!!! and love it even more now...i got my RUN DMC holiday station up and running...thats right CHRISTMAS RAP!!!
  29. Duilio
    December 19, 2006 at 6:56am
    Hi folks, I also wanted to express my sincere and enthusiastic passion for pandora!!! GOOD Idea the holiday thing... bye! Duilio Ps it's been months now... since I saw pandora on CLICK ONLINE (BBC WORLD)
  30. Johhny Takas
    December 22, 2006 at 3:03am
    can you find BILL TAKAS(bassist on recordings) with Tal Farlow,Zoot Sims,Pee Wee Hunt, Ten wheel Drive,Gerry Mulligan,Judy Collins,Theadore Bickel,George Wein All Stars(Playboy Mag),Bobby Bruckmeyer,and many others from "THE LOFT"of David X.Young? Dave Brubeck and I spent some time together overseas 1944-1946.The picture of Tenor Sax-man shown in the Ken Burns "History of Jazz"while Dave was narrating his experience after Ver Dun was of me.I only mention it because I was glad to see Daves'name near the top of your Christmas Music list.
  31. John Crawford
    December 22, 2006 at 3:55am
    Congratulations to the year and Merry Christmas for you. That's I wish with my sincere votes of a brand new best for you all. Thanks!
  32. Alan Chamberlain
    December 22, 2006 at 11:26am
    I created a station last year called "Winter". I picked three very secular tunes, "I've Got My Love To Keep Me Warm", "Baby, It's Cold Outside", and "Let It Snow", and selected renditions by Rat Pack singers. The result is a swinging, sardonic, jazzy holiday mix with no Frosty, Rudolph, angels on high or little drummer boys. It's more about sex in the snow than Christmas. It gets me through the season...
  33. Bert
    December 25, 2006 at 7:11am
    I just found Pandora's box and I'm quite impressed and pleased. Merry Christmas!
  34. Chimichenga Modal
    December 26, 2006 at 8:12pm
    I really love the idea here. But maybe I am trying to use this thing for something it was not intended. I love ambient dance, but I don't have a specific artist or song title in mind... and i can't seem to figure out how to get that genera going. I have spent the last hour trying to select a song that is tantra sounding with dance or rhythmic over tones. I keep coming up with zip zero in Rio De Genaro ... can someone help a languishing soul?
  35. Lucia @ Pandora
    December 27, 2006 at 1:26pm
    Hi Chimichenga: Maybe try the artist Bajofondo Tango Club? or this station right here: http://www.pandora.com/?sc=sh157637308505921966 Good luck! Lucia
  36. Dimebag666
    December 27, 2006 at 1:29pm
    WOW..... I have been listening to Pandora for a few months now and i listen to Any type of metal you could think of and some that you would never even find in a store, but i gotta tell ya you folks at pandora have got it down to a sience. I dont listen to just Metal but 80s 90s and of course classic rock but what ever my mood is (pink floyd to morbid angel to All that remains back to Zepplin and even Petshop boys) its all right here. Thanks so much for your hard work i could only imagine how tough this had to be. Wish i could take this in my car LOL. Dimebag666
  37. vulscott
    December 28, 2006 at 9:44pm
    I love this Radio Pandora. Great ideal. Need a Cooler Webbie, allmost blow right by it. Tool bar controlls would be good too. Thanks!
  38. Bachus the Snowman
    December 29, 2006 at 10:43am
    I'm glad that I |googled "Free Internet Radio" today - and what do I find P A N D O R A! Great stuff - real cool music. I even sent the URL to some of my friends - and they were in too Now Can someone tell me - how I can broadcast this out of my Laptop through the USB port into my FM stereo - so that I can blast it through my home theater system Thanks in advance... Cheers to the beers!
  39. Jacques
    December 29, 2006 at 5:41pm
    Love the service! Small problem...I tried to set up a Sade radio. So all of the artists on the station bear little resemblance Sade, except that they are female, black, and funky. Perhaps Sade is a one up and there isn't anybody else doing similar work? Wait...I hear someone on there who does sound similar now...
  40. Jacques
    December 29, 2006 at 5:55pm
    Ok. Additional comment. You have buttons for like dislike and menu. What would be useful would be a button which indicates an opinion that this artist does not belong in this station, not necessarily that I dislike the artist/song. Mahalo nui loa, Jacques Honolulu
  41. Jacques
    December 29, 2006 at 5:59pm
    To volcutt, There is home wifi hardware out there somewhere that allow you to add your stereo to a wifi network and broadcast to it from your computer.
  42. Saskia
    December 30, 2006 at 5:49am
    Hi Pandora Team ! Great work ! Here are some ideas to improve Pandora: it woul be nice, when bookmarking a song or an artist, to be able right away to add a tag or a note for futher reference. Happy holidays !
  43. Nolan
    January 07, 2007 at 3:34pm
    Just to let the Pandora.com folks add my voice to those eagerly awaiting the introduction of classical music here.
  44. abc
    October 08, 2008 at 7:52pm
    I had a radio station with regular music (Cars, Sheryl Crow, Bare Naked Ladies) and then Pandora switched me to nothing but Christmas music. The only way I see to fix this is to delete the station and start over. I see no way to contact Pandora other than this forum.
  45. Lucia @ Pandora
    October 10, 2008 at 1:53pm
    Thanks for your interest in Pandora, abc. I'm happy to tell you that this is an easy problem to fix. :) You've probably got some (holiday) inputs on your station. So now Pandora thinks you'd like some holiday music interspersed with your other stuff. To get the holiday music off the station, just edit the holiday music inputs you've entered. (Click on the arrow next to the station, select 'edit this station,' and remove things at will!) Whenever you have questions or comments, you can email pandora-support@pandora.com. Thanks! Lucia, at Pandora
  46. JoAnne VerMulm
    February 06, 2009 at 9:38am
    Why are you still playing Christmas music on my station?
  47. Alee – Listener Advocate
    February 06, 2009 at 10:11am
    @JoAnne--The reason you still have holiday music, is that you have a "U2 (Holiday)" seed in your U2 station. To remove this, just click on the "station options" link beneath the station you are listening to and select "Edit station details"--now you can view and edit anything you've done to your station at this point: thumbed songs, station seeds, bookmarks, and you can add or remove them at will! Hope that helps. Let me know if you need any further assistance. -A
  48. Beth
    November 30, 2010 at 1:41pm
    Lucia, I tried two different methods of making a station I liked, and neither is working?? First I tried adding the Folk station since I like the relaxed music on it, but it's too instrumental for me. I then added song crumbs of indie rock artists I like. The station continued to play only the folk instrumental core. Then I decided to add a new station using the method you described above (jack johnson holiday). I added several artists all with 'holiday' attached, but got a whole bunch of non holiday songs. So then I switched to using specific song crumbs instead, (someday at christmas by jack johnson, etc)... I'm still getting alot of non-holiday music?? What am I doing wrong? Thanks in advance!

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )