Now that our servers are all settled into their new home, we’re ready for phase two of our capacity expansion project.
Tonight at 7PM Pacific Time, we’ll be expanding our radio database cluster. This will give us lots of headroom for future growth and is the output of months of work and planning by the Pandora engineering team.
Like the datacenter move, this is a delicate process and requires that we put our system into “read only” mode while we do our work. Starting at 7PM, you will be able to listen to your existing stations, but you’ll not be able to create new stations, give us feedback on existing stations, or edit your account in any way. The system will be in this state for quite a long time — we estimate that it could be 12-15 hours before the new system is entirely populated and up, running, and able to take your station creation requests again. We estimate that the system will be back to normal at noon pacific time on Saturday June 10th.
We don’t like having to put the system into “read only” mode at all; it’s something that we always endeavor to avoid. Sadly there’s a small set of operations that simply require it. Last month’s datacenter move and tonight’s changes unfortunately fall into this category. Thanks in advance for your patience. While Pandora will stay the same on the surface for the time being, this change sets us up to scale to a much larger listener base and to bring more and more features online in the coming months.
Update 6AM, 6/10: Things are going according to plan and we’re making great progress. Thanks again for your patience.
Update 9AM, 6/10: The upgrade is complete and we’ve turned the new system on. We’ll be keeping a very close eye on things throughout the coming days. Everything went as planned with one caveat: some of you that created a station and later deleted the station may see the deleted station show back up in your stations list. This will only happen if someone had “shared” your station before you deleted it. We’re working on a fix to clean that up.
A tiny little surprise: There is one little feature in this release that a lot of folks have been asking about. Each song “slide” now shows the name of the album in addition to the name of the artist and song. Enjoy!

Comments

1. Pieter De Decker
    June 11, 2006 at 6:21am
    Why did you replace the "Close this menu" with an X? I liked the "Close the menu" better...
  2. Tracy
    June 11, 2006 at 12:02pm
    That explains my confusion! I noticed both your "tiny surprise" and went looking for other changes, and a deleted station that showed up for awhile then disappeared again. Congrats again for a superb and awesome music service. I'm addicted. Part of my routine in starting my computer!
  3. Chong Yew
    June 11, 2006 at 5:10pm
    Pandora is really amazing. can't express just how much i am hooked to it. what an initiative,people. thanks for your work and keep going on!
  4. Chloe
    June 11, 2006 at 8:07pm
    Pandora is such a great idea! Well done. I listen to Pandora all day, everyday at work. It's sometime hard to concentrate as I always want to check out who is playing. I discovered so much through Pandora. Thank you for your work and for keeping this free! Also, thanks for the new features! Any plans in adding some french music?
  5. DC Fait
    June 11, 2006 at 8:30pm
    Just one complaint: After your latest change to the album covers, the artists' names are truncated. (The album names also are truncated, but I care less about that.)
  6. Arturs
    June 11, 2006 at 8:49pm
    Truly amazing project. My students have begun to ask me "Who is it this morning Mr. W?" when they walk into class. This is remarkable and only getting better. One question; where's the best place to leave listening suggestions? I've got 400+ CDs and I've put in some jazz names that haven't found a match. Rock hits have been dead on. Can't wait for classical to get up and running. Thanks a MILLION for your efforts. Arturs
  7. Andre
    June 12, 2006 at 5:15am
    DC Fait: Just hover your mouse over the name and it should scroll nicely for you in order to read the full text.
  8. Daniel
    June 12, 2006 at 11:27am
    WOW! I love that you guys also made it so that titles now scroll when there is overflow, instead of disappearing behind the album cover. The new menu confused the crap out of me for a minute - for some reason I couldn't figure out what it was that I was looking at, but i got used to it. =) Thanks for all you do!
  9. Fuzzy
    June 12, 2006 at 5:16pm
    Thank you for the update. Hard to believe that anything so good could get any better. In fact this thread reminded me to subscribe in order to support your ongoing efforts. Thank you again for your hard work.
  10. Mark
    June 13, 2006 at 1:54am
    Great improvement! This gonna be the best Web service ever seen :-)
  11. Bob
    June 13, 2006 at 1:07pm
    Love the new album titles. One minor suggestion: lose the "by:" and "on:" labels. It's pretty obvious what they are.
  12. Nadalia
    June 15, 2006 at 2:51pm
    I love the new album titles. I really like that it tells me who the song is by and what album it's on. Pandora has introduced me to a lot of new artists and I would have a hard time knowing which is the song name and which is the group name if it didn't have the labels. Thank you for all the work you do. I'm still addicted and still telling everyone I know to come check it out.
  13. Clint
    June 16, 2006 at 9:59pm
    This is the most intuitive and fun internet radio ever...I have more staions than there are genres of music, i think...SOO cool. Thanks!
  14. joe
    June 17, 2006 at 1:29am
    Pleeeeeeeeaaaase stay free!!!!! Pandora Addict
  15. Nova Scotian
    July 12, 2006 at 5:56am
    Thank You-Thank You-Thank You-Thank You-Thank You ..... It's like you're in my head!!!!Scarey Isn't it.
  16. right chips will fetch cosmos without any questions
    July 20, 2006 at 4:35am
    It's the first time i ran through your site and I found it very informative and interesting. Nicely done! hedge cosmos is very good plane
  17. wim
    July 27, 2006 at 1:41am
    from Wim of the Netherlands (Europe). Pandorra is a wonderful initiative- congratiolations

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )