Dallas part 2
Started the afternoon hanging out with Chelsea and Tony – diehard music fans from Crystal Clear – a Dallas distributor. They focus on the local Texas sound – gave me a box full of stuff to check out. Interesting to know that virtually none of the musicians they gave me are making a living at it. Let’s hope we can start building the musician’s middle class.

Kristy-Kuger.jpg
Kristy Kruger
Jason-Eady.jpg
Jason Eady
Was fortunate enough to connect with Pascale Hall, the owner of a local coffee shop called Standard and Pours on the Southside of town. As it turns out, Pascale, with the help of MIke Zuchowski, is fast becoming a Dallas institution for local emerging talent. They’ve been hosting an open mic for about 9 months that has grown into its own local music scene. About 20 artists shared the stage, from 7-10pm, 2 songs per player, first come, first served. Saw some great talent, and was also impressed by the first-timers braving a live audience for the first time. Kristy Kruger, Jason Eady, Becky Middleton and the duo Fishing for Comets highlighted a great night of acoustic music. Also was blown away by a guy named Anson… who sang and played a bass. Anson, where are you? …couldn’t find you on myspace.
Becky-Middleton.jpg
Becky Middleton
Fishing-for-Comets.jpg
Fishing for Comets
Anson.jpg
Anson
What’s also very cool is they broadcast the performance live over the web. They actually have their own radio station running 24/7 online. It’s the future, man.
Kristy told me she had not long ago spent 6 weeks on the road, and traveled 16,000 miles playing all the way up into Canada… Alone! Amazing how hard musicians work. The most I ever did was 5,000 miles, and that was sharing the duties with 5 bandmates, and even that was exhausting.
On to Denton…

Comments

1. lanlan
    March 26, 2006 at 1:22am
    Hello! Just discovered your service recently and it's wonderful! Thank you! I would like to suggest a band to be included in the database: Utah Carol (http://www.utahcarol.com)
  2. David
    March 28, 2006 at 7:04pm
    Love ur site & the musical variety it exposes me to. Seeing your mention of Standard & Pours - great place, aint' it? - prompted me to recommend a coupla Dallas area performers (who have also played S&P). (1) Karen Naomi: acoustic guitar driven pretty melodies on the mellow side; (2) Sorta: roots/Americana/Wilco- & Son Volt-esque rock n roll band. Check 'em out!
  3. Pascale
    March 29, 2006 at 12:17pm
    hey tim! so nice to meet you and do hope to hear some of our favorites on pandora! "SMART" is the keyword here. sounds like you are having a great time out there. isn't it amazing how many local musicians are out there? I NEVER listen to mainstream radio - you are on to something BIG here. busting the pipe wide open for these well deserved musicians ;-) i'm so loving it! THANK YOU! Be sure and take a listen to that MOONSHOT RADIO CD i know you will dig it! I'll be sending more your way! you're the best. pascale
  4. Pascale
    March 29, 2006 at 12:18pm
    www.Blake and Fallon.com ;-)
  5. Jayson Bales
    April 09, 2006 at 12:59pm
    Tim, Pascale told me she gave you my last album, Broken Furniture, and I just checked out Pandora. I love it! What a cool site. I'm checking out The Robert Earl Keen radio station right now! Rich Brotherton, who produced Robert's last two albums, also produced Broken Furniture, my album. Anway, this is a great thing and I hear you are going to start listing venues. What a great idea. I'm now a fan! By the way, I think I sound like Robert Earl Keen, Josh Ritter, Robbie Robertson, early Wilco, Son Volt,and Ryan Adams.
  6. Heather
    May 26, 2006 at 9:57am
    Hey Tim, I wish I had known about Pandora when you were here in Dallas. The service is fantastic and I'm recommending it to everyone. It has been so difficult to find a service like this for Mac. I would like to suggest a song called "The Last Thing She Said" by Ryan Tyler.
  7. Chrystal Downs
    June 23, 2006 at 1:09pm
    Okay...so in Forth Worth there is a young woman named Morgan Bierlein...she plays in hotels and whatnot....sings jazz...she's incredible...check her out!!!! PLEASE!!! She has a CD released with Steve Bourgeois under the name Symbiotic Groove. Most excellent duo.
  8. La Verne Allen
    September 05, 2006 at 2:22pm
    The way this station was put together was awesome. To be able to go back 20 - 30 years and listen to all of my favorite tracks and become familar with those that I have never listen to was awesome. Keep up the good work. Well done.
  9. Camille
    February 11, 2007 at 5:16pm
    love this write up. so happy to see the site doing so well! we haveour full length album that i need to send to ya~ camille (fishing for comets) thanks so much for everything! xo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )