I’m still planning my itinerary for Mississippi. Really excited to hit the birthplace of the blues… New Orleans is the only place I’ve been in the whole delta region. Please leave any comments or suggestions below.

Comments

1. T
    March 31, 2006 at 7:48pm
    Hey Tim, I'm not sure how many Mississippi folks will know of Pandora. I found out from the Wizard of Ads weekly email. I love it, and will surely do my part to get the word out. Bands. Mississippi music. There's tons of it being made in little studios throughout the state. Live playing has diminished a lot (no pay), but I can tell you it's thriving in the local little professional and home studios. My favorite is the music of Tom Powers and Tim Orsi out of Hattiesburg--home of Southern Miss University. They call themselve, "The Rub�." Much akin to Steely Dan in recording style--no live playing these days, but plenty of live performance through their career. They're old school. They're new school. It's been said they sound like no one while sounding like everyone. Power blues-based, mixed with rock, gospel, a funky New Orleans blend and current metro sounds threading throughout. Dance to it. Sing to it. Groove to it. The Rub rules. I can send a sample if you like. Just reply to the e-mail and ask. In the meantime, good luck on the tour, and keep up the great work!
  2. Karen Pitts
    April 01, 2006 at 1:53pm
    Please, Lisisten to me.. there is a muscian in Mobile Al. His name is Corky Hughes. He taught me everything, but above and beyond that , this man can scream the blues...He is so hot...., u have to see him. He plays local, all ya gotta do is say his name. He is an old seasoned lover of the truth and plays it so, Do yourself a favor, see him. Say his old love is proud.. he rocks....
  3. JaSin
    April 01, 2006 at 7:04pm
    Tim, This site is the Best. I live in Southern MS. Michael's bar off I-10 has great local bands. I have told as many people as I can about Pandora. Since the storm I haven't been to many places but bands are everywhere. Watch Your tires if you venture off main roads in Biloxi/Gulfport.
  4. Tim Westergren
    April 03, 2006 at 7:30am
    Thanks for all the suggestions, much appreciated. I'm a big Steely Dan fan. Guess it makes sense that music would head in that direcdtion if there's less of the live performance. Corky Hughes sounds like a great find - I'll have to see about hitting AL. Tim
  5. Katherine
    April 20, 2006 at 7:39pm
    If you are in Oxford, definitely go to Proud Larry's, they usually have good music. Another good place is Two Stick--sushi by day, good music by night. DayBreakDown is a really good MS band, but I'm not sure what their schedule is right now. On a non-music note, you have to eat lunch at Ajax's in Oxford!! They have the best vegetables and jalapeno corn bread I have ever had!
  6. Ken Foster
    April 27, 2006 at 8:38pm
    Tim: Don't even THINK of running through NC without a trip to the gorgeous Cape Fear/Wilmington area - an hour's drive north of Myrtle Beach, SC, and home to both the Soapbox and Marrz - where I gotten to check out The Sword and Early Man and a handful of other smaller acts touring through here that I discovered at Pandora...I would never even have bothered with them if it weren't for Pandora - the service has renewed my love of new music, like a hungry wolf on the hunt...and has made my office life a lot more tolerable! Keep it up - Get out East!
  7. clay
    April 28, 2006 at 4:22pm
    you need to hit Morgan freeman's bar in clarksdale, MS..The delta blues is religion in those parts. I'll take ya. Email me.
  8. Ariel
    April 28, 2006 at 7:02pm
    I also think you should come to Oxford, Mississippi. We have great venues for live bands and its just a really eclectic arts and literature type town in general. The Kudzu Kings are great and they are playing The Library April 29. They have been around for a while and are a true Oxford band, very fun and playful. The Burnside Exploration consist of Cedric and Gary Burnside, the legendary bluesman R.L. Burnsides' grandson and son. They will be at Longshot on April 29 as well, these guys play some of the best blues around. This is all happening during our Double Decker Festival which features Marty Stuart and Dr. John. I don't work for the tourism council or anything, but I am an Oxford native, if you can't make it up for these, don't worry there is always good music to be heard.
  9. carrington
    May 03, 2006 at 1:12pm
    pandora is what i listen to everyday at work... you need to make a trip to NC!! Greensboro especially!!
  10. Silvia
    July 15, 2006 at 4:15pm
    Guy...you must come to Charlotte! There is so much hyper musical variety and mellow suthern funk that you'll stay here longer than expected. Hurry...post your dates and don't forget to invite me.
  11. Linda
    August 23, 2006 at 11:15am
    When you come to Mississippi don't miss Tupelo Elvis Presley's birthplace. It is a nice place!Lots of talented musicians here. Rob Greenhill could be playing here!!! I LOVE PANDORA.
  12. Mike
    August 25, 2006 at 10:28am
    I've been a Pandora fan for about a year now...Fantastic! So, yea, Pandora's alive and well in Jackson, MS Leaving Vicksburg, MS and traveling north on HWY 61 towards Memphis takes you through the heart of the MS delta - well worth the trip for fun, food, and the best blues around.
  13. April M Alexander
    August 26, 2006 at 11:15am
    PLEASE FOLLOW UP ON THIS MUSICIAN!!!!! TIM, FIRST, WELCOME TO MISSISSIPPI....IT'S HOME TO ME, AND I LIVE IN VICKSBURG(ABOUT 45 MINUTES FROM OUR CAPITAL, JACKSON)WE ARE A TOURIST TOWN...WE HAVE THE NATIONAL MILITARY PARK, THE MISSISSIPPI QUEEN, CASINOS AND LOTS OF UNIQUE LITTLE SHOPS. I WOULS SUGGEST EATING @ BEECHOOD RESTURANT FOR THE BEST JUMBO FRIED SHRIMP EVER! WE ALSO HAVE A CATFISH RESTURANT CALLED ROWDY'S....THE BEST, HONESTLY!!! PLEASE READ THIS PART.... MY FRIEND, DENNIS FOSTER, LIVES IN A TINY TOWN, CALLED UTICA, MS. HE IS 27 YEARS OLD, AND IS IN MY OPINION, THE MODERN DAY JIM MORRISON...HE WRITES MUSIC OF THAT CALIBUR, SINGS WITH SUCH DEEP CONVICTION, AND PUTS HIS WHOLE BEING INTO HIS MUSIC..EVERY ASPECT OF IT...HE DOES NOT KNOW I AM WRITING THIS, AND WOULD PROBABLY NEVER THINK THAT I HAVE PAID THAT MUCH ATTENTION TO HIS MUSIC...THE MAN IS TALENTED, PERIOD, AND I KNOW THAT IN JUST A SHORT TIME, I WILL SEE HIS CD IN STORES EVERYWHERE..HIS MUSIC, ALSO REMINDS ME OF THE MUSICIAN, JAMES BLUNT. HE DOES NOT HAVE ANY FANCY RECORDING EQUIPMENT, AND IS MOSTLY A QUIET PERSON, WHO KEEPS TO HIMSELF. BUT WHAT I WANT FOR HIM IS TO JUST BE RECONIZED, B/C HE IS ONE OF THE MOST KIND AND GIVING PEOPLE IN THIS WORLD, AND DESERVES TO BE RECONIZED FOR HIS TALENT...THANKS FOR LISTENING, AND PANDORA KICKS ASS!
  14. Bill
    August 28, 2006 at 6:22pm
    If ever in the Greensboro area be sure to check out...Sweet Dream....for some of the best jazz in the area.....
  15. Wren
    November 22, 2006 at 11:46am
    I think that it's really a big breath of fresh air to know that some of our 'folks' are waking up and showing the world that Mississippi is still around! AND ROCKING! Not only because of its talented people young and old, but because this will always be the hospitality state and we're some of the most kind people you'll ever meet! Tim, you guys seriously should come over here more you're AWSOME, we'll be waiting for ya! I only wish I had a drivers license to come where you are here, but if you're ever close to Brandon MS please give me a yell, thanx!!!
  16. john
    November 23, 2006 at 5:54am
    IF you go to mississippi you got to go to jackson and go to a place caled subways its where you will find the real blues its b.y.o.b it dosent open till midnight and closes when ever. So you might start at a place called the DOCK on the resavor. they play live bands.
  17. thomas sipp
    December 12, 2006 at 11:46am
    hi tim you need to make your way to meridian ms.we have alot of history here with music i am owener of a night club hiphop the name of the club endzone.give me a call at (601)880-6074 i like what you are doing keep on moveing thomas.
  18. Robert
    September 03, 2007 at 2:29pm
    While in northeast Mississippi, don't miss TomFoolery. They're an acoustic trio featuring close vocal harmonies and great songs. They play at Vanelli's in Tupelo, Old Taylor Grocery in Oxford and a lot of different street festivals and Main Street Association functions. Don't miss their great blend of acoustic folk & blues.
  19. Phil Ott
    February 24, 2008 at 9:30am
    So this is some time after your travels,but I am glad that you went. I mostly just wanted to say that you have a great program here,I enjoy it so much.It is the closest thing to artificial human intelligence as I have found on the web.Wirh your "Guide Us" button and your "Oops,my mistake" enclosure,without a doubt,if you're not already the most popular radio station on the Internet,then you soon will be.I am sending your link to all of my friends,and telling them how easy it is to navigate it,Thanks again for your dedication to this great cause. Respectfully yours, Phil Ott
  20. Edwin J. Wolff
    May 08, 2008 at 1:51am
    You really should bisit Brookhaven which is the best kept secret in Mississippi. The city is approximately 12,000 people in a county (Lincoln) of around 35,000 people. We are on Interstate 55 at the intersection of U.S. Highway 84. We have many fine hotels/motels and a wealth of restaurants. Brookhaven is celebrating its 150th anniversary, is very progressive, and is blessed with an excellent Mayor and City Council. Y'all come. Ed
  21. Emilee
    January 05, 2010 at 4:19pm
    Hey there, just wanted to say I was a student of Corky's as well, he taught me so many things, musically and otherwise. He is one of the most amazing and genuine people that has ever lived. I love Corky :] I also go to Southern Miss, and I know about Pandora ;] lol
  22. Chris Barbosa
    February 11, 2010 at 4:22pm
    Hi Tim, I am so glad that you are playing...I miss the southern blues, especially when you are on the base...Kisses from your fan in south America... Going to spend carnaval in Fortaleza, CE, Cumbuco Beach Blues....
  23. WendyLowery28
    September 26, 2011 at 11:24am
    Some time ago, I did need to buy a good car for my organization but I did not earn enough cash and couldn't buy something. Thank God my mate adviced to take the credit loans at trustworthy bank. Thus, I acted so and used to be happy with my bank loan.

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )