After a 5 week preview release, Pandora is now open to the public. We’d like to thank the thousands of people that helped us during the preview; we took all of your feedback to heart and were able to rev. the service based on your feedback. In particular the launch release includes several new features you told us you wanted:

• Complete station history – scroll back and see all the songs played on your stations
  • Rate and buy any song – even after they finish playing
  • Quick access to song feedback (“I like this”, “I don’t like this”) from the song popup menu
  • Simplified “Guide Us” panel
  • An improved audio library
  • Enhanced station sharing features
  • A simple URL interface for creating stations from your blogs and websites (more on this later!)

There’s much more still to come — you’ve given us enough ideas to fill 10 releases!
The most gratifying thing about the past month for all of us at Pandora has been the opportunity to interact with all of you. We want to have the same kind of relationship with all of our listeners. Please don’t hesitate to send us an email ( with your thoughts, feedback, ideas, and comments. We’re still listening!

1. Nathan Jones
    August 30, 2005 at 10:56am
    Hi. Love everything behind this, willing to subscribe, etc -- but, for some reason, and this may be browser related, everytime I have the pandora application over -- either in another tab or separate window, the browser crashes after abt 15 mins. I am OSX 10.3/G5, newest version of Firefox... Any ideas what could be done to fix this? Flash has always been slow as shit on my Mac, for some reason... Also, just as a feature request, I don't want to have to 'buy' the song/album to read more about it quickly. Possibly some sort of integration with a non-commercial informationial portal, i.e. to read more about the artist? Or maybe scrape the info from allmusic and create an info text pop-up?
  2. sylvan
    August 30, 2005 at 11:41am
    Hmm.. It seems my stations are very short. Like only ten songs or so each... Is this normal? Maybe it's due to lack of bandwidth or something (it hasn't made any more queries)? Maybe you should have a status bar saying "querying for more songs" or something or "no more songs matches your query" to signify what's going on.
  3. FlatGreg
    August 30, 2005 at 12:47pm
    Like wow! I decided to give it a test run, and I'm impressed. I'm on the 4th song, and so far they've all been great. I've only heard of one so far, so the discovery quotient is fantastic.
  4. Alex Barnett blog
    August 30, 2005 at 10:22pm
    Pandora: simple, instant, responsive I've been testing out Pandora the last couple of evenings, as my sister still hasn't yet replied to...
  5. G Da B
    August 31, 2005 at 5:48am
    I'd just like to say that I've been waiting for something like this for years. While the interface isn't perfect (and by not perfect I mean it's not 100% but better then about 95% of the software out there), the music choices have been right on about 9 out of ten times and even the mises are close. What a great job everyone!
  6. Zarks
    August 31, 2005 at 3:09pm
    This really is an amazing website you've built here. I've only been listening for about an hour and I've already heard so many great bands which I've never heard of before. Only one criticism: you may cause me to spend a painful amount of money buying cd's! Thank you for your brilliant work.
  7. Sydney
    August 31, 2005 at 5:13pm
    Wow, I'm seriously impressed. Personal, totally customized radio that accepts single-user feedback -- you guys have created basically the holy grail for music listening. More, your backend algorithm of characterizing individual songs and then constructing feeds based off of that instead of popularity or ratings is phenomenal: it's like the "Google of music". Other people have tried to do music stations just like other companies have done search, but the algorithm is make-or-break, and you get it right. This is some amazing work. I think this service may well be the harbinger of a whole new way of listening to music, and the commercial and social implications are stunning. ClearChannel executives should have wet their pants in terror about now! :-)
  8. Bob Bushman
    August 31, 2005 at 8:25pm
    Wow (yeah, I know, redundant). A friend posted your site to a small email list at 4 PM. By 6 you had three new one year subscriptions including mine. Garbage in a channel created from Lords of Acid and Chemical Brothers?!? That makes no sense... but it fits perfectly! Simply brilliant. Two requests: Could you email me when you IPO? it's going to be a monster. And could you email me when ClearChannel buys you? (so I can cancel my account) What can I say, I am stunned. Bravo! (oh, and be prepared - when this hits Slashdot, you're going to get crushed)
  9. Nick
    September 01, 2005 at 3:47am
    This is very impressive. Within the space of about twnty seconds, I've found two bands I'd never heard of which are just what I like. A very impressive project, with a good range of music. Nice work!
  10. Eric Olson
    September 01, 2005 at 6:49am
    Hey guys and gals, Pandora has got to be the best thing to hit music since the iPod! I am loving it and have already subscribed for the year. I have been telling all my friends & family and figure that at least 5 or so more people will be subscribing in the upcoming weeks. I also wrote about Pandora on my blog, The Wannabe Venture Capitalist, so I hope you are able to garner more customers that way as well. Great job with the program and I look forward to the next evolution.