After a 5 week preview release, Pandora is now open to the public. We’d like to thank the thousands of people that helped us during the preview; we took all of your feedback to heart and were able to rev. the service based on your feedback. In particular the launch release includes several new features you told us you wanted:

• Complete station history – scroll back and see all the songs played on your stations
  • Rate and buy any song – even after they finish playing
  • Quick access to song feedback (“I like this”, “I don’t like this”) from the song popup menu
  • Simplified “Guide Us” panel
  • An improved audio library
  • Enhanced station sharing features
  • A simple URL interface for creating stations from your blogs and websites (more on this later!)

There’s much more still to come — you’ve given us enough ideas to fill 10 releases!
The most gratifying thing about the past month for all of us at Pandora has been the opportunity to interact with all of you. We want to have the same kind of relationship with all of our listeners. Please don’t hesitate to send us an email (pandora-support@pandora.com) with your thoughts, feedback, ideas, and comments. We’re still listening!

Comments

1. Mark Evans
    August 29, 2005 at 6:14am
    Music Industry Still Doesn't Get It According to yesterday's New York Times, Apple is headed for a showdown with the music industry over the price of downloading a song using
  2. gray b.
    August 29, 2005 at 11:16am
    wow...i know this is unneccessary and such, but this is wonderful. 5 minutes i put death cab for cutie in and now... good stuff. i also just found today something at http://www.liveplasma.com. this is important, now i need to go and write something about it. thanks for kicking arse and peace,
  3. BuzzSite
    August 29, 2005 at 8:40pm
    Pandora Goes Live I continue to turn all of my friends and co-workers on to the service and it bodes well when initial users are frantically evangelizing in order to earn future "I used it first" credits. However, after a weekend of pretty solid use I've got a few com...
  4. Tom W.
    August 30, 2005 at 12:18am
    Wow, I am very impressed with this service. I have voraciously consumed music services since the day Rhapsody was first launched and this seems to be one of the most exciting new additions. I definitely recognize the similarities between the music I like and suggest and the music recommended to me. Almost everything recommended to me is unfamiliar, which almost never happens with other site's music recommendation functionality. When I reach the end of my free period (which will probably happen tomorrow), I'll definitely be adding Pandora to my list of pay music services. The direction I would love to see this service go is to allow more detailed feedback from users. It would be great if I could rate the aspects of the songs. So I could say I like or dislike a song because of its "sycopation" or its "subtle use of strings". I also enjoy reading about the musical elements identified in the songs. I really hope the tide turns toward subscription services and the exploration mentality finally takes hold.
  5. Tom W.
    August 30, 2005 at 12:28am
    One more suggestion: it would cool for users who are interested in all the musical properties of the songs to be able to compare their interpretations to those of your site's experts. You could expose whatever interface your experts use to users and then compare the user's results to your own. Maybe even make a Java-based game out of it if you have a programmer in office who loves to do off-the-roadmap features in their spare time. And eventually it would be cool if your community becomes large enough if you could implement a trust system that would allow some users to contribute their own analyses to your system so it doesn't have to rely entirely on your in-house editors. Anyway, cheers for a great site.
  6. Michael
    August 30, 2005 at 5:44am
    Great idea, great execution! Wow! I'm lovin' it!
  7. John K.
    August 30, 2005 at 5:47am
    Great new service! A great help in broadening my music horizons. A very probable subsxcription from me, and this will be the first music service I have subscribed to. One suggestion: when you add artists/songs to a station, I haven't found a way to see what has been added after the event/what makes up the station, other than in the name which isn't sufficient.
  8. Imajilon
    August 30, 2005 at 6:24am
    Excellent work! Gray B. (above) nails the concept with "exploration mentality" . . . exploration and discovery carry that extra element of joyous surprise you get nowhere else! How nice to be able to simply turn it on and listen to the magic happen! I like having the selection a bit loose . . . it juices up the discovery quotient. If the tags get too explicit, I could see the discovery range narrowing too much. But that's me, and others will surely like to constrain the tagging more. Perhaps a switchable variable between "loose" and "tight", or even a slider. Will be telling lot's of people about this (and signing up for a year).
  9. Red rose ramblings
    August 30, 2005 at 7:46am
    Discover Music - Pandora Pandora is an internet radio station that attempts to play music you will like, based on your preferences. I’m listening at the moment and have been impressed to find, having told them that I like both New Order and the Stone Roses, that it play...
  10. Ms. Pants
    August 30, 2005 at 8:13am
    Love it, subscribed to it, am now on a mission to coerce the masses to drink the Pandora kool aid. I'd love to be able to open the smaller player. Mine tells me in both IE and Firefox that it can't log me into the small player and that it's the player's fault. Don't know about that one. I messed with the pop up and cookie settings to no avail. I'd also like to be able to go into my stations and see the list of people I've added. It seems there is a band called "The Charlatans" that are quite different from the ones I had in mind when I put the band into a station. I couldn't figure out how to delete the band from that station without having to thumbs-down every similar (and not pleasing to me) song/genre that came on. So I deleted the station and started over.